AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (and still do) have a virus on my computer that screwed up the boot sector of the showstopper. Is there anyone out there that would be kind enough to extract the partition and boot data off their 30hr showstopper drive and send it to me so I can write it to mine? I have a brick for a showstopper now that this has happened and I am completely devastated. If anyone is kind enough to do this, can you also tell me what program I can use to upload the image to my drive.

One question, if I do overwrite my partition and boot areas, will I lose any videos that were on there?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I do not have the skills to extract the data you requested but offer a tried and true procedure. http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/index.html is the source for software and instructions to replace your showstopper disk image. I could ftp you a new disk image to mirror back on the disk if you have broadband. Since a virus overwrote the showstopper boot sector and who knows what else. I would low level format the drive with Powermax.exe from maxtor to positivly eliminate the virus. The method proposed will get your showstopper back running at the loss of all recordings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, but getting a new image would be the last resort as there is 1 program I *MUST* get back. It was one of the Little League World Series games so I most likely will never have a chance to get it back unless ESPN is in a really giving mood and will either replay it or will sell me a tape of it.

I'll keep your offer in mind if I can't get this working again otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe so, what I need covers the first few sectors of the computer. I've tried using rtv_extract with linux and it said invalid partition selection every time so I need those first few sectors to make my showstopper work again :( but thanks anyways

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.