AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I really enjoy this forum and want to get start to have a projector for my home theater. Please give me some suggestion for a new starter Projector + a 120" screen (3.5k budget). I read a lot of postive post about the Infocus LP340? but i don't have any knowlege at all. So please give some input. If not the LP340 then which one? Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Start by having a look at different projectors, see what YOU like and dislike!

There is one advantage by not knowing though... The more you learn, the more picky you get. Suddenly you see 'artifacts' you never saw before, and you start 'tweaking' what looks perfect to everyone else. This becomes expensive.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

At the current stage, I'm quite sure you'll be happy with a LP340... but just wait http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I used to be perfectly happy with my Davis DL450. Then I got onto this forum, and now I'm in the market for a scaler, a better screen, possibly a hotter HTPC and... the list goes on!

This thread is getting pretty informative...
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/003915.html

Regards

TC

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Phil,

That isn't realistic for someone with a 3.5k budget. Nobody is going to let even a G1000 go for 3k. Even if they did, the operating expense doesn't fit well with his budget.

A used or refurbed Compaq MP1800 would be my suggestion. I've seen those go for $2,500 on eBay, and the posts on its non-zoomable little brother MP1600 are pretty positive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too would like to suggest a MP1600 or MP1800 based on your budget. A 120" screen is pushing it, but I run a 100" screen on a MP1600 and I love it. I'm using the DVI input from a GeForce2 MX and it's crystal clear.

I also own a MP1800, but I'm disappointed in the throw ratio that was changed because of the zoom lens. To get a 120" screen on an MP1800, the projector would have to be about 18ft back from the screen (at maximum zoom). The MP1600 can do it @ 14ft.

The MP1600 is quite loud, but Compaq reduced color wheel & fan noise in the MP1800. The video adapter on the MP1600 gives ok results with the MP1800 adapter being good, but not as good as an iScan (of course!).

Compaq MP1600's have been going for around $1500 on eBay, and it's a great entry projector to get started in the DLP market.

I have no experience with the LP340, but I've read good things. This forum is a great resource, and the search function can be a big help when looking for opinions.

Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with Twincam, go see demos of projectors in your budget range. The more you start looking and reading this forum, the more demanding for a perfect projector you will get. We all have to settle for a good price/quality projector some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.