Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have done a search, etc. prior to asking the question so please don't hurt me too bad!

I am going to purchase a 5000 series Replay unit. I am going to purchase an HDTV receiver such as the new Sony or Zenith units for DirecTV HDTV viewing.

I have heard these units only allow you to watch the HDTV channels and not the non-HDTV programming on DirecTV.

ASsuming this is true, which DirecTV receiver should I purchase to go along with input into the replay unit?

Thanks guys!!!!

Nic

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have purchased both the Sony Directv HD-200 receiver and the RTV 5040. First of all, you can watch every type of programming using the sony receiver, HD or not. Also, a really nice feature it has is that it integrates all the channels from all your inputs (cable, directv, antenna) into one nice directory such that there is no need to switch inputs using the remote, using channel up/down you can get to any channel no matter what its source. However, there is no serial port on the sony so you have to use the IR-blaster that comes with the 5040. Since the sony is a relatively new product, there is no specific code for it in the setup of the 5040 but using the most common sony code provided, you are able to control channel changing from the IR blaster but it cant turn the sony on and off. So whenever you want to record something from directv, you have to make sure you leave the receiver on. Also, there is another caveat to the situation. I assume you will connect the component or DVI outputs on the sony directly to the corresponding inputs on your HD ready tv (since this is the only way to pass along a HD signal to your tv). If so, then you will need to run a coaxial, composite, or s-video cable to the from the sony to the 5040. In order to pass along HD signals to your tv, you have to set the sony menu to any one of a couple of settings. When you do this, the analog outputs (coaxial, composite, s-video) become inactivated thus your 5040 will not be receiving a video signal from the sony. So whenever you want to record something on the 5040, you not only have to remember to leave the sony on, but to change a menu setting (easily changed with 3 pushes of the same button on the unit) on the sony to output 480i signals via the analog outputs. Since most of my programming is from local channels, I get around this by running a cable tv line with a super basic subscription directly into the 5040 and thus don't have to worry about any of those issuies. I hear the Zenith receiver is VERY similar to the Sony so it may have the same issues. Hope this helps you in your decision. Another solution is to purchase a basic directv receiver with a serial port on the back and use that solely for the 5040 and its tuning purposes (will cost you an extra $5/month though).

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty1781
...you are able to control channel changing from the IR blaster but it cant turn the sony on and off. So whenever you want to record something from directv, you have to make sure you leave the receiver on.
This is true of EVERY cable box and satellite receiver.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
This is true of EVERY cable box and satellite receiver.
Interesting, in the setup of the code for the satellite receiver with the IR blaster, the way the setup tutorial has you confirm you have the correct code is if the IR blaster turns the receiver on, suggesting that at least for some models, you should be able to use the IR blaster to turn the receiver on and off. Tech support makes this same claim as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty1781
Interesting, in the setup of the code for the satellite receiver with the IR blaster, the way the setup tutorial has you confirm you have the correct code is if the IR blaster turns the receiver on, suggesting that at least for some models, you should be able to use the IR blaster to turn the receiver on and off. Tech support makes this same claim as well.
I think the issue is, on and off are the same signal. Everytime you press the on/off button on the remote it sends the same signal. If there was a way for the replaytv to tell if the IRD was on or off (like with the serial control) then it would know if it needed to send the on/off signal. Since it can not tell, the on/off signal is not sent as part of the command set.

If the IRD was on and the replay shut it off with its first IR blast, then the IRD would not see the channel commands and your recording would fail.

The reason it works for the tutorial is it tells you start with the IRD off, so it knows to send the on/off signal as a test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got this from a tech @ sonicblue last week.

DirecTV Box Serial Compatibility List

COMPATIBILE SERIAL CONTROL

BRAND MODEL

RCA DRD440E

RCA DRD440RE

RCA DRD502RB

DISH DSS D series

RCA DRD222RD

RCA DRD420RE

RCA DRD502RB

RCA DRD505RB

RCA DRD515RB

Sony SAT-B50

Sony SAT-B55

Sony SAT-A2

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony SAT-A50

**** I added this last one myself as it works fine for me... Sam ****

INCOMPATIBLE SERIAL CONTROL

BRAND MODEL

DirecTV DCT-2000

DirecTV DTC100

DirecTV PSHD105

Hughes D45

Hughes HIRD-E11

Hughes HIRD-T11

RCA DRD430G

RCA DRD430RG

RCA DSM433RG

RCA DRD450RG

RCA DRD485RG

Samsung SIR60W

Sony SAT-B1

Sony DHGM55CV

Sony DHGM55CZ

Zenith ST1601

Zenith ST1600-3-5

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sambrothers
I got this from a tech @ sonicblue last week.

DirecTV Box Serial Compatibility List

COMPATIBILE SERIAL CONTROL

BRAND MODEL

RCA DRD440E

RCA DRD440RE

RCA DRD502RB
DISH DSS D series

I believe that list came from the FAQ, and there is no such thing as a DISH (Echostar) DSS unit? Or any serial controlled Echostar reciever that I'm aware of. That one seems to be attributed to me, but I didn't do it I promise. ;)

(as always I blame toots)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.