AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pretty much have a few projectors nailed down, but my choice really depends on what setup I picked based upon the room. I have two choices: Option 1 gives me a larger screen (120"), but I'm unable to have the center channel vertical or the tweeter at ear level (There is concrete behind the drywall so I can't cut into and place the center channel into the wall). It also limits the number of available seating due to the width of the space. For this scenario, I would probably go with the Benq 1080ST that could be placed in front of the soffit. This would allow the projector to be away from the seating and not be heard. It might also look more pleasing to the eye as it would almost go unnoticed since it would be in front of the soffit.

Option 2 gives me a smaller screen (Max 98"), but I can have the center channel vertical and tweeter at ear height. I can accomplish this by cutting into the drywall behind the screen and setting the speaker into the drywall. With this option I plan on making an acoustic transparent screen using spandex. I am able to have more seating in place as well. With this option, I would go with the Benq 1070 or Optoma HD131xw, and these projectors would have to be mounted above the seating area.

My tower speakers are Bic D64 and the Bic 62CLRS center channel. I'm running a Bic F12 subwoofer.

Here is the picture of Option 1. Click images to enlarge:

Here is Option 2:

In this photo you can get a better view of how the seating could work.

I'm torn between having the larger screen vs the more optimal speaker placement. Thoughts from people?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24105191

I'm torn between having the larger screen vs the more optimal speaker placement. Thoughts from people?? Thanks in advance!

That's a tough call for sure.

I would make a list of Pros and Cons for each set up and go with one that has the most Pros.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Option one would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24105459

Option one would be my choice.

For any particular reason? Less work by cutting into drywall? Larger screen? My only concern is less available seating. Trying to decide if having a loveseat perpendicular to the screen on the right wall would be bad or not. Just trying to pick people's brains as I really am on the fence and my first home theater setup.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24105477

For any particular reason? Less work by cutting into drywall? Larger screen? My only concern is less available seating. Trying to decide if having a loveseat perpendicular to the screen on the right wall would be bad or not. Just trying to pick people's brains as I really am on the fence and my first home theater setup.

For me the bigger screen would be the difference maker. Also that layout it seems would get the seating off the back wall.

Putting seats up against the back wall introduces many issues.

As for seating, how many seats do you need?

I have a 4 seat (small people
sofa in a 13' wide room. Of course we pretty much only have 4 people watching.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just assumed that having more available seating when needed would just be more convenient; having family over, friends, etc. What kinds of issues are you speaking of when you talk about having the couch against that wall?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Bass tends to build against the wall as well as reflections etc.

Even pulling the seating off the wall by a couple of feet can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24106139

Bass tends to build against the wall as well as reflections etc.

Even pulling the seating off the wall by a couple of feet can make a big difference.

So what does having the couch against the wall do to bass output? In what way is bass affected? Lower response? More "boom" affect? Thanks Kini for your responses by the way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would go with option 1. That bic center is ported and will need *some* open air for it to sound its best. Also, imo it looks nicer

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
None of the boxed speakers are really designed to be put in another box in the wall.

Why couldn't you put it on a stand under the screen.? That way it will be on the same plain as the towers.

Also bass or low frequencies will tend to build against the back wall, depending in room dimensions and frequencies causing boominess.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24106362

So what does having the couch against the wall do to bass output? In what way is bass affected? Lower response? More "boom" affect? Thanks Kini for your responses by the way.

Low frequencies tend to gather in the corners which can an effect on overall bass response, easily fixed with bass traps and room treatments such as acoustic panels. Put your furniture where you want, just be prepared to make some adjustments.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Option 1 will feel more natural, with a wall on both the left and right side of the screen. Also, that pillar on the left in option 2 would annoy you very much

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd also go with option one. The advantage you gain from turning your MTM center vertical (substantial imo) will be more than offset by horizontal reflection asymmetry and the corresponding image shift.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24107859

I'd also go with option one. The advantage you gain from turning your MTM center vertical (substantial imo) will be more than offset by horizontal reflection asymmetry and the corresponding image shift.

horizontal reflection asymmetry? can you explain what you mean by that? In any event, it sounds like everyone here are saying option 1 is the way to go. I thought there would be a little more uproar over this horizontal center channel. I know some are pretty hardcore about making sure the center channel can be vertical at almost any cost.

·
Registered
534 Posts
In option two the right wall is much closer to the speakers and listener than the left wall.

What this means is that the horizontal off axis sound radiated from the right of the speakers will have a shorter path length to the listener than the left. This will arrive with less delay and higher amplitude. This usually causes the stereo "phantom" image to be shifted to the right or completely collapse.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticShrimp  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24107994

In option two the right wall is much closer to the speakers and listener than the left wall.

What this means is that the horizontal off axis sound radiated from the right of the speakers will have a shorter path length to the listener than the left. This will arrive with less delay and higher amplitude. This usually causes the stereo "phantom" image to be shifted to the right or completely collapse.

Ok, so if I'm reading you correctly, option 1 gives me more symmetry with having two walls on my left and right, whereas option 2 has the wall on the right, but then it's wide open on the left? I guess I never really thought about how this could impact the sound.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1507044/please-help-which-speaker-projection-setup-would-you-choose-pics-included#post_24108702

Are you married to the cabinet speakers ? Your room is screaming for the larger screen with inwall speakers behind an At screen.

Well, sorta. I purchased the two Bic towers and bic center channel from a guy in Maine this past summer. Got all three speakers for $220 so I feel somewhat obligated to just use these. I have thought about in-wall speakers at one point, but there is concrete directly behind the drywall. There's about two inches of drywall, some insulation, and then about two inches worth of concrete block surrounding the walls. Not sure how speakers would work in wall with this setup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts