AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding what I should go with for a 5.1 speaker system. I can not use floor standing speakers. I need either bookshelf (i think they are called) or Satellite speakers with a sub. I do have a Sony STR-DE845 receiver. My budget is between 500 and 700 dollars. My room is 20' x 13' I don't know if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the surround sound scene I know it isn't much but unfortunately that is all I can afford. If it is better to wait until I can swing 1000 and get the bose Acoustimass 10 Series, than I will do that.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you'll find that the general consensus on this forum (and many others) is that you can get *MUCH* better sound (and for less money, if you so choose) if you AVOID Bose product. Please. Pretty please.

I am currently replacing the Bose speakers that were our condo living room when we purchased it a few months back. I think it speaks for itself that the vendors left the speakers behind (the speakers aren't built-ins).

In no particular order (other than perhaps familiarity), I'd recommend that you check out the (fine Canadian) offerings of Paradigm (Atom), Mirage (Nanosat), PSB (Alpha B-1).

Also, Boston Acoustics, Polk and AV123 are U.S. firms whose wares seem to garner good reviews here & beyond.

- Richard
www.oldWithoutMoney.com

·
Registered
873 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.