AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to make the right decision on a 65" HDTV. Went to a HiFi Buys today. They carry Toshiba, Mits, Sony and Pioneer Elite. They quoted $3299 for the 65H80, $4999 for the Mits WS65907 and $6700 for the Pioneer 610. First question is: Are these prices about what I should expect to pay if buying from a store( not interested in internet purchase)?? Are the Mits and Pioneer truly worth the extra thousands?? Looks like I could buy two Toshibas for one Elite! They also had a Mits WS65905 which they said is last years discontinued model and they were willing to sell it for $4200 and that included the 5 yr all inclusive warranty which is normally a $599 purchase. It was a floor model that they said had not been on the floor long. What do you think about that price?? What does the 907 have that the 905 doesn't?? Would you even take a chance on a floor model?? I watch alot of Direct TV inaddition to DVD and the quality of the picture with the sat feed is important to me. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

·
Registered
133 Posts
A floor model can accumulate a couple of years worth of use in a relatively short period of time, so stay away. The contrast is usually set very high on floor models which causes much wear on the CRTs. Also the newer xxx07 models have useful improvements over the previous year's models. Stick with the current year.

What price do they have on the Mits 65807 or 65857? It should be more in line with the Toshiba. The 65907 has very limited distribution and the price is tightly controlled by Mitsubishi, ditto on the Pioneer Elites. The 65807 and 65857 are more widely available and are discounted a lot more than the 65907.

Sears is supposed to very aggressive in price matching internet prices on the Mitsubishi TVs. You might get a price off the net and see what your Sears can do. Sears does not carry the 907 series, but should have the 807 series.

I've had a Toshiba TW56X81 for 18 months, really love it. I only use it for DVDs, don't know how it would do on satellite. With a progessive scan DVD player the picture is stunning.

Try Best Buy also. They seem to have lower prices on Toshiba TVs than HiFi Buys. Best Buy also carries the regular (not elite) Pioneer bigscreens, you might take a look at them also.

For what it's worth Toshiba widescreens made after 1/01 are supposed to have improved line doublers, which should improve the picture quality, you might make sure you check the manufacture date before buying if you decide on a Tosh.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Some1 I know got the 65" Mits for $2800 at Sears,

a week ago or so. Read my previous article as

to how.

BTW, the delivery was $30.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the WS65857 was $3699. I'm just amazed at the difference inprice between an internet store and someplace like HiFi Buys. I went to Crazy Eddies website. They have the WS65857 for $3299. They also have the Denon 5800 for about $2350. I thought that retailed for $3800! While I have read a few negative posts about crazy Eddies on here I just can't see how they are selling merchandise for that much off retail. Getting back to my TV dilemma, I would love to be able to justify an Elite but it's hard at these prices. Like I told the salesman, unless you could set the Tosh 65H80 next to the Elite and come away with a noticeable appreciation for better picture quality in the Elite I can't justify it. If one is a very, very good picture and the other is a hair better if you really look close then that's not worth paying double the price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a Mits WS65907 back in January for $4300 at a local dealer and was seeing other people beating that price by quiet a bit. I would think that you could do better than that now. Ask at www.***************.com and see what they are going for. A huge group of people there in the Mits forum. I sure wouldn't get the older model for reasons listed in the above posts.

I also watch a lot of TV from the sat and have no problems with the PQ on most all channels. The only thing I would like to change on this set is the model number, I would love to have the 73" one.

·
Registered
636 Posts

The best prices of Mits 65907 has been around $4000. Mits 857 and 807 series are much cheaper and Sears will match for xx807 prices.

That being said, I believe Tosh 65H80 should ofer you the best value out today. They have a new improved line doubler (3:2 pulldown), improved greyscale, and very good color rendition (no red-push as with Mits) and good support in general.

The low prices I have seen are $2800+. Check out pricescan.com for making you aware of prices around.

If you have $$, Elite is natural choice, but for value I'd say go for Toshiba.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get the MIT 65907 Diamond. It rocks and you get free upgrades by MIT. Have not seen a better picture out there. Best price about 4500.00. Thats about 100.00 over dealer cost. NOTHING BETTER!!!!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I forgot to mention a very important detail: Mits has upgrade guarantee (they

will add a Firewire/5C module when the standard is finalized, for

reasonable $$$: something like $700 or so IMO).

No other HDTVs carry this promise.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
But if 65" Toshiba is available on the net for something

like $2800 and MITS Diamond for $4500 plus something like

$700, for firewire in a few years, it might make more

sense to get a 65" Toshiba (or something else for under

$3000) today, and replace it with a brand new 65" model

in a few years, totally modern and updated. The quality

and features of RPTVs have been improving over the years,

at the same time their prices have been going down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As pointed out in an above post you can get a Mits 65807 65" at Sears for around the same price and not have to deal with the internet dealers and it being dropped off at your curb.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Curt,

They actually carry it into your house http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Everybody who is about to spend $3-5K on HDTV setup,

asks (him/her)self the same question: is my equipment going

to become obsolete in a few months/is there anything

better coming out soon.

Here is my take on it (I took the plunge almost 2y

ago and never looked back):

- the only new developement in RPTVs, aside from prices

going down, is the developement of new ways to

form a (HDTV) picture - non-phosphor based (no CRTs):

DLP and some other rather obsure but even better technology

from TI. The first DLP-based HDTV is likely already available from Mits, or will be available in Fall.

The benefits on non-CRT based RPTVs are many: no burn-in

problem, no convergence issues etc. Minuses: rather

limited resolution of DLP, steep price. I would skip

the DLP and wait for the _other thing (see above).

- the latest STB development ... after waiting for almost

2 yrs for Hollywood to drop the copyright paranoia, and

getting nothing, while loosing billion$, the 5Cs have

decided to show Hollywood a middle finger and FLOODED the

market with analog-input-ONLY HDTV sets and respectively,

analog-output-ONLY STBs. The very fact that ea and every

CE store is full of RPTVs from Mits, Toshi,Sony, Panasonic,

Sumsong (and now Sharp), with reasonable prices (about 15%

premium over comparatevely sized NTSC sets), means that

chances of Hollywood ever to be able to enforce/create

any Nazi-style Copyright protection for HDTV-grade material

are doomed.