AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply put,

Regardless of cal settings on my 52A650, I find a huge amount of motion artifacts and jerky motion on much HD content unless I am watching BR. The source is a directv with strong signal and set to native pass. I have a 42 plasma and noticed none of this. I have tried motion flow on and off and film mode on auto1. These things slightly mask or worsen the issue. I also find the "soap opera effect" VERY disturbing.

My problem is, the whites are sooo much better on LCD in the show room. But it is also very interesting how much dimer the LCD gets once you get it home and calibrate it.

Do you think I may reagin the natural movement look with an 85u? And if so, will I still be dissapointed with the dimness of plasma regardless.

** I dont care about power consumption or weight.

PS If you have a twisted alliance to one tech or another, please try to be objective.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i would go with the 650 if you get it calibrated. it has more adjustments for color. if not, then either one is great.

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15461678

Simply put,

Regardless of cal settings on my 52A650, I find a huge amount of motion artifacts and jerky motion on much HD content unless I am watching BR. The source is a directv with strong signal and set to native pass. I have a 42 plasma and noticed none of this. I have tried motion flow on and off and film mode on auto1. These things slightly mask or worsen the issue. I also find the "soap opera effect" VERY disturbing.

My problem is, the whites are sooo much better on LCD in the show room. But it is also very interesting how much dimer the LCD gets once you get it home and calibrate it.

Do you think I may reagin the natural movement look with an 85u? And if so, will I still be dissapointed with the dimness of plasma regardless.

** I dont care about power consumption or weight.

PS If you have a twisted alliance to one tech or another, please try to be objective.

i see this turning into a sammy vs panny thread real quick, or at least a plasma vs lcd thread

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
The natural motion can be attributed to the motion resolution and/or means you suffer from Sample and Hold.

The 85u will look like your 42" plasma or better with motion.

A plasma will be slightly dimmer and have slightly less pure whites.

You'll have to decide wether the whites or motion is more important to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts