AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there and thanks for reading this -- it may be a little long...

I currently have 2 18" round dishes set up at my house, and they are both working -- I get ~85 signal strength on the 119 and ~95 on the 101.

My wife insists that switching the cables on the back of the DTC-100 is not ok -- having to switch to watch HDNet or HDHBO is too much of a hassle for her....

So I went out and bought a 5-in -> 4 out 22khz multiswitch from partsexpress. It came with no instructions and all the writing on it is in German. I searched and searched this forum and others for information regarding which LNB does 18v, which does 14v...

I set all this up -- I think right -- and bam -- the only channel I get now is HDHBO -- nothing on the regular 101 sat, and no HDNet -- all I get is 'Searching for satellite'.

This is all brand new RG6 quad shielded wiring, and the signal strength meter is now showing no signal on either satellite -- although HDHBO comes in crystal clear.

What am I doing wrong? there is an input on the side of the multiswitch for 18vDC power supply -- nowhere in the partexpress catalog/website did it mention that one is necessary --- and I have read conflicting things about this...

Thank you for all your help.

Blake Gentner

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Did you change the DTC-100 setup menu to "oval dish"?

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken -- yes I did, I was manually switching wires from the two satellites up until today. I am thinking that going back to that, only with a high quality A/B switch (is there such a thing) in between.

Thanks,

Blake Gentner

·
Registered
198 Posts
Both LNBs need 14V and 18V. Connect the 101 LNB to the A inputs (14 & 18V), and the 119 LNB to the B (22 kHz) inputs (14 & 18V). You should get the power supply, it may not work well or at all without it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The cables from he 101° dish must be connected to the 'SAT A' inputs on the multiswitch; and the 119° dish cables to the 'SAT B' inputs.

If your switch inputs are unmarked or too Germanic, reverse what you now have and see what happens.

The 18v and 14v positions are of no matter.

I know little about powered switches, but if the above does not work, it might mean that you must either power the switch or replace it with an unpowered one. Others can better advise you on that.

Of course, you might have a defective switch.

------------------

Bill Brenner

[This message has been edited by wjbjr (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Also, with that 5x4 multiswitch - are you also putting an OTA / cable input to it as well ? If you are, you will need a diplexor (one for each IRD) to split everything out correctly at the IRD's as well. But I also think you don't have the wiring from the dishes to your switch correct as well.

You'll need 4 cables (2 from each dish) going to the switch. And each LNB will need to be a dual LNB. one cable will be 14V, and the other 18V.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

[This message has been edited by Scooper (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK- I have 4 lines from my 2 dual LNBs, the 119 going to the 22khz inputs, the 101 sat going to the other -- I know that both sats are working, I can get signal from either or, just have to switch wires...

How do I test whether or not the switch is bad? Do I just order another one? I do have a diplexer at the DTC-100, and that worked fine when I just had the single dish set up...

I will try to pick up a 18Vdc power supply tomorrow and see if that helps, otherwise is there another switch that works well that is not lunatic fringe priced (i.e. the Spaun ones)?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Blake Gentner

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try it without the diplexer - if that works the power supply will allow you to continue to use diplexer(s). The voltage drop across the diplexer is up to five times what it was with a single dish - that sometimes causes problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.