AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I have a Vista Media Center and use FFDShow/AC3 filter to play AVI files from with VMC using WMP11.

Of the dozens or so AVI files I have loaded all played perfectly except for one I got recently. This had picture but no sound. Audio encoding on the file was 5.1 AC3. GSpot reported I had all the codecs installed and other 5.1 AVI files played perfectly through my amp with 5.1 surround. As I last installed K-Lite codec pack in May 2007 I thought an update may fix the problem.

I installed the most recent K-Lite (dated December 2007), which un-installed the previous version before it went in. The problem file now plays perfectly, but now some of my other files play sound but with no picture. I cannot seem to find any commonality with these files that would indicate why they will not play, except they are all Xvid encoded with 5.1/2.1 AC3 sound. All my MP3 2.0 encoded files play perfectly. GSpot shows I have the codecs installed and a couple of similar 5.1 files play fine, so its not like its all 5.1 files are broken which would make the problem easier to pin down.

I then played around with the file testing functions at the bottom of the Gspot screen where you press the 1,2,3 buttons to test playback. Gspot plays the file in the little preview window, but then when I test the MS playback in Gspot I am back to no picture. I am a bit new to all of this could it be a problem with the way WMP11 is using filters/codecs ? A Graphedit check on a working and then non-working file shows the same filters are being used for all both files.

One more thing that may help, when I play the problem files in WMP11 from the desktop, the AC3 filter icon appears in the tray but not the ffdshow one. Then the disk thrashes a bit and nothing happens. WMP11 does not freeze or anything it just doesnt play.

Not sure what else to tell you. I have an image of the PC from just before I updated K-Lite so I can go back. I would of course prefer to get this fixed though.

Thanks in advance for any help !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Furthermore, codec packs like Klite can really screw your registry up. This is probably whats going on with your setup. Only install the exact codecs needed to play any particular media file type. Again, YMMV.........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I would love to replace WMP11 if I knew how to replace it as the default player for Media Center.

In any case I fixed the problem. K-Lite recommends installing the Gabest AVI splitter by default. I don't even know what a splitter is
so I just left it. I re-installed using the Haali splitter as I seem to remember that being on my earlier install and, hey presto, all files work perfectly.

So, is it possible to use a better player from within VMC ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts