AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, moved away from my family 15 yr ago and Mom could use a special gift to show off... She said she wanted a system so I plan on going all out.

I know I can do it cheaply NOT DIY but the point is to build it...thats what will make it special to her.

She will give me 1000 - I plan to spend 1500.
I need help because I can't get it down to 1500

NOTE - She really like Bose sound so accurate may not be ideal
NOTE 2 - I have 2 fusion-8 she can have, they can be counted as $200 on the budget

Here is what I am mostly set on
AVR - Onkyo 805 (blown HDMI board) ---$70
Accessories - switcher for onkyo, universal remote etc --- $200? (approx)
Room Treatment - Planned to build diffusors and absorbers behind MLP - $200? (approx)

Leaves me with about $1000 for subs and 5 speakers.

For subs - Would cost approx $400 (if amp fits)
Thinking 2 x infinity 1262w in 3' cu tuned to 25hz
Would put one in front one near MLP

Issue is I need an amp to power them and time align.
Thinking nu1000 dsp... Will it put out enough power without bump/conversion box??

For speakers
Was thinging Volt 6 all around or 3 fusion-6 fronts with volt sides
Considering the power the onkyo can put out... Should I just make something like classics and save money??

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an Onkyo TX-NR616 and iNUKE 3k - gain @ 2~3 o'clock is sufficient with the Onkyo sub level -2dB to +2dB. (-2 is quite rare)
Hope that helps...
Thats the 3k ha.. If you lose 20% (random # I picked) it would me no issue...

I just want to give her a clean 250w... She will likely never use it BUT still..

Also it would be always no... shes not turning subs on and off ha

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
NU1000DSP should be able to give plenty of power into a 1262w. The overinflated rating is 500W, so it should be good for a real 300W or so. Look for a smart power strip that can switch it on when the AVR is on.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My first suggestion would be to think like your mom, not like you. ;) If your mom is like my mom, she doesn't care about ohms or RMS or any of that stuff. She wants something that looks decent, and she will like it because it is from you. I suggest you think of sound the same way, don't buy her sound according to YOUR standards, but to the standard your mom might like. :) Oh, and tell her you got her the "Bose" sound. She won't know that you waaay upgraded her. ;)

I'll suggest looking at things from a financial perspective which is different from you just suggested, but it may come out the same.

First of all, do you need flatpacks, or can you make your own boxes? That makes a difference in price. I would recommend flatpacks and assembled XO's if they are available.

Also, on those Volt 6? I like them too and I just saw where Erich said there will be square flat packs available in the next few weeks. The Fusion 6 you mentioned sounds like an outstanding choice, and you could use the Fusion 6 Vibe MTM center.

Spending $200 per speaker is a good price point, that's $1,000. Instead of dual subs (which is what us men want) I would say get a single sub for $300, either on the used market or get a 12" sub from Parts-Express. The Onk AVR you said you have for $70 would be great, but I don't know what you are going to do about the HDMI problem. Any system with 75 watts would sound great if you use the DIY Soundgroup Fusion speakers, she does not need 250 watts of power.

The single most important thing your mom will like about a sound system hooked to her TV is people talking, so to me that means a CLEAR center speaker, or good front soundstage L/C/R. The place to skimp on speakers would be the two surrounds, and then you could put a little more into a sub. I am in the camp of liking one good sub instead of two cheap ones. Remember, dialog is 90% of what TV listening is all about.

I just spent $1370 of YOUR money, and no matter what the budget, you KNOW it always runs a little more.

I love what you are doing for you mom. I'm sure she will appreciate anything you do.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - Thanks for the help...

I know this would be SOOO much easier to go pre-made used for this budget but I really feel like me building them will give her more to be proud of and make it more special for her.

I'll try to be organized in my thoughts but there are many moving parts...
This is causing me a TON of stress...

About the dual subs...
She will usually listen to music (2.0) most of the time and is unlikely to sit still listening. Her apartment is open so I hoped duals would help the entire "house" sound better.
Does that make sense or wishful thinking?

Maybe save money with a phantom center...
Personally I HATE dolby DRC and most of her movies will be dolby.
Do you think I should roll the dice and deal with the DRC?

If phantom center, I have some speakers already...
I have a pair of fusion-8's she can "have" for 200-250 off the budget.
They are functional but far from perfect...doubt she would care
Maybe those as front, phantom center?

As I write this I am realizing I didn't make it clear enough...
The sides need to be able to run off minimal power because they will be off of a wireless kit (have seen some that are affordable with approx 50w)
I have a single behringer b2030p, she can have it for a surround if I can find another but they are discontinued...
Maybe a b2030a then the power from the wireless kit can all go to the b2030p?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
If she likes Bose is there a need to go with two 3cuft subwoofers and a pro amp?

If you're thinking of something like the Fusion-6 or Fusion-8, I'd probably consider the Volt-6 because they're so easy to build and get plenty loud enough. 5 of those, a decent receiver, subwoofer with plate amp, done.

You could build one enclosure with separate compartments for left, right, center channels. Then 2 for surrounds.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Wow - Thanks for the help...

I'll try to be organized in my thoughts but there are many moving parts...
This is causing me a TON of stress...
I know you're sweating all this, but I can tell you've put a tremendous amount of thinking/research into this, and it shows (in a good way).

About the dual subs...
She will usually listen to music (2.0) most of the time and is unlikely to sit still listening. Her apartment is open so I hoped duals would help the entire "house" sound better.
Does that make sense or wishful thinking?
I know you would know the difference, but honestly, I don't think your mom would know the difference between 1 and 2 subs. In fact, for TV watching she probably wouldn't know if there was a sub or not.

Maybe save money with a phantom center...
Personally I HATE dolby DRC and most of her movies will be dolby.
Do you think I should roll the dice and deal with the DRC?
The center is the most important speaker in the entire setup, and it is the one speaker your mom will hear more than any other because that is where dialog comes from, and it anchors the dialog to the TV.

If phantom center, I have some speakers already...
I have a pair of fusion-8's she can "have" for 200-250 off the budget.
They are functional but far from perfect...doubt she would care
Maybe those as front, phantom center?
You've got a pair of Fusion 8's? You've been holding out! :p

I like the Fusion 8 but I thought it was out of your mom's price range. I've got the Fusion 10 Pure and it uses the same DNA-205 compression driver as the Fusion 8. The smaller Fusion 6's use the DNA-150. IMO that DNA-205 puts the magic in the speakers, as mine is very smooth and has crystal clear vocals/dialog. I would not hesitate to use one or both of the Fusion 8's as a center, or use those for L/R and buy one more for a center.

[/QUOTE

When Erich makes a suggestion (directly upstream ^^^ ) my experience has been that his assessments are right on the money. He suggested a L/C/R in one enclosure? I had never even considered that. With the smaller 6" drivers that is brilliant, as a low profile enclosure across the middle is ideal. If Erich is suggesting using the Volt 6's that was something you were considering anyway, and it sounds solid.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I agree with above, stop thinking AVS stuff, she'll never get it/understand, or appreciate it/truly care.IMHO

We are mental cases....true story.

I thought you understood this, I ALWAYS think about this while trying to make RATIONALE decisions..
Have you not figured that out yet...think back to what you USED to be happy with before you came here., then think about what would truly blow your Moms socks off....I bet they are much less than what you are stressing over.

1K is a LOT of cash for someone like that.

Just a thought, no harm meant bud.

Reactions: wvu80

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha!

Fusion-8s are slightly over sized for her...

Rethinking sub size too.
She said size didn't matter but i know she would think they are huge. We forget how normal people live ha.

I might be able to pull off the fusion 8 if I used sub's as speaker stands and phantom center.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Volt 6s are 93 dB sensitive, which is sure what you want if you aren't giving them much power. Angles flat packs might be perfect for you as well, if they're mounted up near the ceiling.

You probably can't go wrong with Fusion 6 or 8s up front. Just touch up the finish a little if you want to go with the 8s.

Probably worth getting a proper center for when she does watch TV or a movie. Or add one later?

Personally I was thinking sealed subs because they'd be much smaller, and great for music. Plus you can EQ them much flatter.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Ha!

Fusion-8s are slightly over sized for her...

Rethinking sub size too.
She said size didn't matter but i know she would think they are huge. We forget how normal people live ha.

I might be able to pull off the fusion 8 if I used sub's as speaker stands and phantom center.
Yep, you already have the 2 mains, your old 8's (overkill), now think about the height she needs for a center and figure an Alchemy 8(another serious overkill) and sub height to make it work with no more than 12's like the 1260/2 in a single box.
Or build her some of the cheaper variants DIYSG has, which will STILL blow her socks off, and save you a ton of coin....then add a single 10-12" sub somewhere in the room...can even get a flat pack for that, and she'd be FLOORED.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I'd suggest one of the "Speaker" kits at DIYSG if ya wanna be serious, Classix/Hitmakers/etc....
I seriously doubt she needs a huge cabinet to house a big woof with no low end(like the Pure 10's), and she's gonna have a sub at-boot!

Clean, with cash left over.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was considering volt 6 all around but that pushes the budget up a bit.

I only considered the pro amp for savings. 2x200-300w plate amps cost as much or more with no eq or delay functionality.

Would a a fusion quad 8 be a good center for fusion 8 L/R?

Maybe I should look at something like Jeff Bagley continuums?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I really think a mother living in an apartment is going to appreciate small and simple over any benefits proposed by a typical recommended system around here. A single compact sub with a plate amp that automatically turns on and doesnt make any sound will IMO be 100% preferred by your mother. And a pair of small compact monitors should be more then enough.

I would be looking at something like a RS315 HO in a 0.75 ft3 sealed box with the Yung SD500-6. And any of the 5" or smaller 2 ways available will do the trick.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I agree Jay, I was thinking "Plate amp" right away last night, but he was having fun with the 1K, so I said nothing.
If she's ANYTHING like most women, she just wants to turn it on, and listen.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are 100% right on plate v pro... Was just a price thing...

Maybe I can afford to make anarchy horns so they are efficient...its just hard to not think like us ha...
110db at 1 meter should be plenty a guess ha. 2 of them side by side?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts