Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together my htpc which consists of the following;

asus 3N78-VM

AMD athlon X2 5000+

2GB RAM

XP Pro SP2

My display device is a sony rear projection LCD. KDF-E50A10.

When connecting my HTPC to the tv via VGA, the display is definately not as clear as i would suspect. Very blurry and hard on the eyes when viewing text in windows file explorer as well as internet explorer... Ive adjusted to every resolution i can think of (in windows and NVidia control panel) and cannot get a good picture for the life of me.

Video on the other hand is decent. Ive tried a few divx files and they were OK to say the least.

Additionally there is a border around the screen that i cannot get rid of because there is no setting on the tv (that i can find) that will scale properly... which brings me to HDMI.

When i use the HDMI signal, I suddenly have a setting to scale the image larger which removes the border but they display quality is still very very poor.

Is it my tv? Am i screwed and have to buy a new tv? What can i do?

Im really dissapointed as i only bought this HTPC because i thought id be able to achieve monitor-like attributes on my tv.

Please advise

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I know of LCD, they work best when the input from the PC is set to the naitive resolution. You can confirm this in the manual, but from doing some searching on the web I think it might be 1280x720.

The VGA port is really not going to be as good as DVI/HDMI for sure. Since this TV doesn't seem to have a DVI port, i'd definitely use HDMI cable.

Which NVIDIA card are you using?

Also make sure to update the drivers on your video card just to be sure you aren't running into a bug that was fixed in a later version.

·
Registered
545 Posts
shoulderlean,

Strangely enough this thread came up as the second item in a google search for the motherboard you mention in the Powerstrip thread! I was checking to see information regarding your motherboard.

Don't use HDMI with this TV and a PC. You cannot get 1:1 pixel mapping with HDMI on this TV. It insists on "processing" the signal and blurring things somewhat.

I'll answer some more in the Powerstrip thread...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Either VGA or DVI/HDMI should display with out any resolution detail problems when setting your desktop to and outputting the native resolution which is 1280x720. If the DVI/HDMI interface overscans you can not get true 1:1 pixel mapping and getting the appearance of 1:1 pixel maping by underscaning the your output just causes blurry small font text when using PC applications

1 - 4 of 4 Posts