AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need one of 2 things. #1 a new center channel to match my AR PS318 mains. I currently have an AR SC2 but it is in no way timber matched to my mains so I want to fix that. If that isn't doable #2 all new speakers (mainly the 3 in the front).

My problem is my budget and the fact that it is pretty small. Basically I was counting on my stuff (the AR stuff I had) getting the job done but I now know it isn't. With the cost of the room construction (framing, drywall, paint, carpet) and furnishings (new leather sectional) and the TV (50" GWIII) I am out of money. What I am left with is an HK AVR35 that is under powered (have a Panasonic XR25 coming) and my existing speakers which don't match. So since I have done many a car stereo why not some home speakers to save a few bucks? So I have started looking into it and would like to make the Dayton III MTM speakers from speakerbuilder.net but what to use for a center? All the looking around I have done the center channels people are making are huge and expensive. I would like to make something that will sound pretty good and not be gigantic (see my gallery for current setup), plus I would like to match it to some mains (if I could match the DIII MTM design it would be great). My first thought was just lay a 3rd MTM on it's side but I have read that it wont sound right in that orientation. Is this correct? Can I get away with doing just that? Other design suggestions that I can make and not break the bank?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
My plan is to use my 3rd DIII on it's side as a center channel. You only run into problems with off-axis response. As long as it is pointed directly at me, it should work. Other options are discussed in this link .

-Robert

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
My plan is to use my 3rd DIII on it's side as a center channel. You only run into problems with off-axis response. As long as it is pointed directly at me, it should work. Other options are discussed in this link .

-Robert
Thanks for the reply. I do want it to sound good for everyone in the room not just me. I just measured and the center in this link is only 1/16" too wide to fit in my TV stand. I am thinking that if I shave the MFD by the ~3/64" on each side to fit it, it wont make a difference.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
That center uses the Dayton titanium tweeter so it will sound different from your DIIIs.

-Robert
If you get all the way to the bottom of that page there is a change to the crossover to use the matching tweeter to the DIIIs which is the direction I would go.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I never took the time to scroll down to the bottom. Since I'm 75% completed with mine I didn't think I'd need to read the whole thing. I'll see if I can use some of my existing crossover parts on a real center channel.

-Robert

·
Registered
103 Posts
What needs to be changed to switch in a silk dome into that center? I have been looking at that link for a while now and never really could figure it out. I am trying to build a center to go with my BR-1's (I assume they sound similar to the DIII's). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Svence

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by csvencer
What needs to be changed to switch in a silk dome into that center? I have been looking at that link for a while now and never really could figure it out. I am trying to build a center to go with my BR-1's (I assume they sound similar to the DIII's). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Svence
The section at the bottom titled "Dayton Sheilded Tweeter Version" shows the correct crossover that should be used with the Dayton Tweeter.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by csvencer
One last question....when they swapped in the silk dome did they seal the enclosure or leave that vent in there. I am alittle confused the way they worded it. Thanks.

-Svence
That vent isn't for the tweeter. The internal chamber is for the mid-woofer. The picture the site shows with the speakers loaded and the box stuffed shows the box lying on it's top so it looks like the enclosure is for the tweeter when it isn't. So you need the vent as it has nothing to do with the tweeter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.