Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got my first HDTV STB Mits. HD500 from local Electronics store for $875. My questions are these:

1. Is this a good unit with this price?

2. What kinda OTA I would need to pick my local Philly stations 30 miles away. I bought RS 15-2153 V/U/F Antenna, but it seems huge to install in the Attic. Please advise me with this I'm really confused. I need OTA in the Attic. I don't mind paying little extra for the best OTA out there but small in size even with the AMP. Thanks !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Are you a new DSS subscriber? If so you should not have to pay more than $600.00 for the Mits unit, I heard even less with installation. You can search the internet for other prices.

------------------

Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketman:
Just got my first HDTV STB Mits. HD500 from local Electronics store for $875. My questions are these:

1. Is this a good unit with this price?
The SR-HD500 is the STB packaged with a 24" elliptical dish. The list on that is $999, so $875 might be a good price. If you bought it without the dish, that's the SR-HD400, same STB, list is $799, obviously not a good price.

I paid $601 for my SR-HD400 (the STB alone is AKA SR-HD5), but that was also bundled with a Mits WS-65907 RPTV.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
232 Posts
What does the terrain look like in the direction of the broadcast stations? Are there any large hills, or is your house sitting in a low area?

I use a standard UHF/VHF TV antenna (bought at Best Buy) in the attic with a UHV/VHF amplifier, and it works fine with the stations about 25-30 miles away. Just be sure you have it pointed in the direction of the broadcast towers.

What are your size limitations? Do you have a really small attic? The antenna I am using is about 6' long and 3-4' wide.

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to subscribe to Direct TV, may be in the future but right now I just wanna pick local Philly stations. Any suggestions on the OTA ????? Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
You don't need to subscribe to DirecTV to use a DTC100 for OTA tuning. That is probably your cheapest route, and is among the best in performance.

If you have a HTPC, you might want to look into the HiPix (if you can find one) for around $400.

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to subscribe to Direct TV, may be in the future but right now I just wanna pick local Philly stations. Any suggestions on the OTA ????? Thanks
If you're not going to subscribe to DirecTV, you definitely don't want the HD400 or either of the two similar boxes, Hughes and Toshiba, as they require a satellite download for the APG to work the way it was designed.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buddy-

I live in Townhouse and my HOA will not allow me to put antenna on the roof.I told them about FCC rulings and they still did not buy it.I have another row of T-houses behind mine that would block the signal, other than that its fairly clear.My attic is quite big size but won't be able to put rotor in there. I just order CM4248 and CM7778 (amp) from consumer direct. Do You think that would be enough for attic installation? any other suggestions ..please feel free to write to me. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tomf

If you're not going to subscribe to DirecTV, you definitely don't want the HD400 or either of the two similar...

Tomf,

Thanks for the advice !!! Can I just order HBOHD from Directv as minimum service? If so how much that would run for month? Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:

[Can I just order HBOHD from Directv as minimum service? If so how much that would run for month? Thanks[/b]
You can order what I think is called HBO The Works, which includes HBOHD (509) and also HBO Plus, HBO Family, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, and the west coast feeds. Costs $12 or so a month, maybe $12.99, and you do NOT need to subscribe to anything else. I've read posts from others that the Directv CSRs will try to force you to subscribe to a package of channels, but when I did it, the CSR had absolutely no problems with it. However, for some reason I do not get the demo loop (199) which has HD movies on a PPV basis starting at midnight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.