AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement and I have set aside one room for a dedicated home theater. The room is not very large, but I think it will do nicely for a small home theater.

The problem that I am having is the more I read on the web and on the forums, the more confused I get! I have a feel for the types of treatment I can us on the walls, but I am very confused as far as the size of the screen, number of chairs, distance of the chairs from the back wall among other things.

The room is 16' 4" long x 11' 11" wide. The ceiling is 8' 10".

I believe that this room size would allow for only one row of chairs. I wish it was longer so I could put two rows in. :(

It would be very helpful if someone could give me some idea of screen size and chair placement. That way I can research projector type/placement - well if projector is even the way to go. Whatever it is will be high def and I believe I prefer widescreen, although I have read arguments for 4:3.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can for sure get a projector in that room with no problem. You could probably get away with a 110 inch screen. I'd worry about doing two rows of chairs though. I have a little over 19 feet long room and I'm going to try for two rows, but it'll be pushing it a bit for me. It will put the first row pretty far up to the screen (for my tastes).

You can worry about the seating later. I'd get the screen and projector you want, then mess around with seating with kitchen chairs or something to see what distances you are comfortable viewing. What kind of seating are you leaning towards? Are you planning on doing risers if you go with two rows?

I'd not go wtih 4:3 ratio, but that's just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply tidalwdave,

My budget allows leather theater chairs if I go with one row

I was planning on doing a riser for the second row, but when I started laying it out, I quickly realized that there was simply no way to do two rows.

The reason I was asking about chair placement is to help with the viewing angle calculation. I know that it is not desirable to place the seats against the back wall (acoustical reasons), but I don't know what a good distance from the back wall would be. I need to know the viewing distance so I can plan where to mount the projector. I intend to ceiling mount it, although I would love to be able to mount it in the back wall. I just don't know if I can find a projector with the correct lens for that within my budget.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'd go with one row. During the planning stages I kept trying to go with two rows (on paper it looked like it might work) but the more reality crept in the more I realized I couldn't do it and my room is 18' deep and 15' wide. Two rows was going to be a compromise both ways (one row to close to the screen, the other against the back wall), especially if you go 7.1 speakers. One row, on the other hand, can be placed perfectly. I have four HT recliners and my chairs are about 14' from the front and 2' from the back wall.

As for screen size, this depends a lot on the projector and personal preference. While you are checking out projectors to determine which brand/technology to buy, pay close attention to distances you feel comfortable. Some prefer 1.5 X screen width while other over 2.0 X screen width. You need to judge this yourself.

An issue I see you might have is the width. I was going to go with 12' but there was no way to comfortable fit in four HT recliners in that space. I have columns on each side that extend out 10" for side speakers. I ended up increasing my width to 15' to give walk around space and so my side speakers would not be directly overhead. How many chairs were you planning on?

My projector is a Sharp 10K. I was able to mount it on the ceiling a foot behind my row of seats.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Smithb,

I just posted a question about what is "too much" for a room that size. How far back are your seats and what is the screen size? When you thought about 2 rows, how close to the screen was the first row?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Are chairs are 14' back from a 92" screen. We have a DLP projector and the panning motion was a little too much for us when we sat closer. Are original plan would have put the front row of chairs 10' back from the screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our room is exactly the same size as yours. I went with two rows and a 92" screen with an HX1 projector. Front row is at 9.5 feet with the back being about 3-4" off the wall. It's all a compromise, but I wanted to have enough room that my boys could invite friends over to watch.

Greg

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, it'll come to what size screen you want to put in there. If you want a big screen, you will probably want to go with one row. I you get a smaller screen, you could probably get in two rows. I'd rather have the larger screen though. Worst case, but in some nice comfortable bean bags for the few extra guests.

You were talking about the viewing angle. That will depend on the screen you get. Stewarts and Screen Innovations have a large viewing angle. I'd check into those. I can view my screen from the far right or left and it still looks great.

I also wanted my projector on the back wall. You will need to find one with a good zoom. I got the Panasonic with the 2x zoom. My projector is shelf mounted almost twenty feet back from the screen, about seven and a half feet up. With the rebates (I think they are still going in?), it may be in your price range.

Check here for the specs. It also has a throw distance chart that you can check out....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...-PT-AE700U.htm

·
Registered
259 Posts
Martin,

http://www.bestchairs.com/bcpublic/p...ct=RC&style=VD

You might want to check out this site for very comfortable, narrow Theater chairs (video cliner2). They are sold pretty much nation wide through a lot of the larger furniture stores. They come in Vinyl, Leather and cloth. The full width is only 29" so you might easily get four across the width of your room. When I first saw them in a freinds theater I said no way would these be any good, but they are vey comfortable, stable, and the foot rest works great as well. I am a very wide body kind of guy (6' 1", 280 lbs) and I have plenty of room and comfort. Plus, they are inexpensive (about $180 - $220 in black Vinyl), and light weight, which makes them esay to move around and get them in to a small theater.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dainbramage74
I am finishing my basement and I have set aside one room for a dedicated home theater. The room is not very large, but I think it will do nicely for a small home theater.

The problem that I am having is the more I read on the web and on the forums, the more confused I get! I have a feel for the types of treatment I can us on the walls, but I am very confused as far as the size of the screen, number of chairs, distance of the chairs from the back wall among other things.

The room is 16' 4" long x 11' 11" wide. The ceiling is 8' 10".

I believe that this room size would allow for only one row of chairs. I wish it was longer so I could put two rows in. :(

It would be very helpful if someone could give me some idea of screen size and chair placement. That way I can research projector type/placement - well if projector is even the way to go. Whatever it is will be high def and I believe I prefer widescreen, although I have read arguments for 4:3.

Thanks,

Martin
I would check the HT meets forum on this site. ;)

If you are lucky enough to find a HT meet in your area, you may be able to pick up some wonderful idea's for your future set-up.

Where do you sit at the theater when you go to the multi plex?

Close to the front, middle... back.

That will give you an indication as to how close to the screen you like to be.

Another thing is if you really have your heart set on two rows, you could go with recliners in the front and traditional theater style seating in the rear close to the back wall. That is what I would do.

Another, although more expensive way to get that bigger screen is to get a microperf screen. If my situation was as tight as yours, that is what I would have done.

Don't get a 4:3 screen!!

Craig

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Martin,
Quote:
I know that it is not desirable to place the seats against the back wall (acoustical reasons), but I don't know what a good distance from the back wall would be.
To help get a more even frequency response, I would place the listening area about one-third of the way into the room (roughly 5.5 feet from the rear wall). That would put you around 11 feet from the front wall, and you can base your screen size on that distance.

Spreading your front speakers apart the full width of your room will give you close to an equilateral triangle with the listener's sweet spot. The side speakers can go directly to your sides and the rear speakers spread out (about 6.5 feet apart) on the back wall, giving you stable rear-vs-side imaging and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

Sanjay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great input. My current thinking is that I am going do what Sanjay suggested, but possibly with a modification. If I can squeeze row of compact theater chairs behind the front row of optimized seating I will. Everything will be optimized for the front row including screen size and sound. I may only put 2 seats on the front row since that will the typical number of viewers.

I think after finishing the drywall in that room I will paint the front wall white, add a couple of lawn chairs and the projector and get a feel for what screen size/viewing distance I like the best. Then I will design the seating accordingly. I will run a wiring tray between the floor joists down the middle of the room. I will add 2 x 6 braces between the center floor joists every 18" or so to support the projector. By doing this I can mount the projector almost anywhere. This means that my choice of projectors will not be limited by having to choose one that has the correct zoom ratio for my screen size/mounting position.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Martin,
Quote:
I may only put 2 seats on the front row since that will the typical number of viewers.
If you do end up going with only two seats in the main row, then consider the rule of thirds again. A couple of comfy seats centered roughly 4 feet from the side walls will be a good location acoustically, minimizing variations in volume level across the frequency range. You can even place a small end table between the seats so that soda and popcorn are in easy reach.

BTW, my personal preference is either for three seats or a large couch for the main seating area. I use my 7-speaker layout primarily for listening to music in surround, so I like having a listening seat that is centered (left-to-right) between the speakers. If you plan on using your system for more than movies, then you may want to consider a seat in the sweet spot.

Sanjay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.