AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The setup would ideally have all sources input to an A/V Receiver, with audio output to 5 speakers and video output to an lcd. I am looking for a way to switch to a separate audio source (e.g. iPod, HTPC, etc) via an A/V Receiver, while keeping the original video source (cable, Blu-Ray) displayed on my lcd.

Is this even possible? I understand that a multi-zone receiver could meet this need, but I would need to either install 7 speakers (5 for the 5.1, and 2 for the second zone) which is more than I wish to install, or forego the 5.1 audio during normal usage (i.e. the 2 rear speakers would need to be dedicated to the second zone).

Is there any other way to get this done? It seems relatively simple, but I can't find a feasable solution...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The only way I can think of it being done is to bypass the receiver for the video when you want to do this. Maybe run component cables to the TV and leave it on this input on the TV. If you have a 1080p TV your video will suffer just a bit cause you will only get 1080i. Keeping it on the same video signal on the receiver may not be possible.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
why not use a HMDI switch that will send the signal to the LCD and to the AVR?

-or-

Some AVRs and pre/pros have configurable options...

Example my NAD T-175 allows this...

Preset 1 Video = HDMI1, Audio = HDMI1

preset 2 Video = HDMI1, Audio = Digital Coax2

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you switch the input on the receiver for video the audio goes too. Like they said, you'd have to skip the receiver handling video and could do input 1 and 2 on the TV. This is how I have my TV set with the satellite and ota channels, the receiver just does whatever audio I tell it to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts