AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all my layout. I have a 15x20 room that was originally supposed to pull double duty as a home office and home theater. Was going to have four seats all in a row, long ways, with desks and bookshelves being across that 20' wall. So, when building, I prewired everything for this layout.

However, now that we moved in, the office ended up being in a corner of our large living room, plus the room is solid black and we don't like office stuff in there, we just like it empty with the walls open. So, our one row of seating will basically take up most of the room. We tried to squeeze two rows in but I only have 15' and that's just not going to happen. We measured for four seats, and my biggest concern is that the last two seats will be viewing at a sharp angle.

So, we thought maybe it would be more appropriate if there were two rows of three seats, situated the other way. I would have to abandon my prewiring but otherwise the seat layout would look more like a theater. I'd also have to build an elevated structure for the back row. I'd also have to buy two more seats, which is expensive. The window is behind us though and everything would be more symmetrical.

So, which way would you do it?

Also, was going to order Palliser Playbacks, with grade 2 "superb" fabric in pewter, lighting, power, and antique cupholders. Any thoughts on that? In this configuration it is $940 a seat, and after an extended warranty I'll have 6 grand in the things. Just makes me nervous. Thoughts?

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN  /t/1525159/please-help-with-layout-design-and-seat-choices#post_24551437

How tall is your ceiling? Are you going to be using a projector or a tv? In room, on-wall, or in-wall speakers?

9' ceiling, TV, plan to get Klipsch Reference towers at least for the front, rear had planned to get Klipsch on-wall like the RS-62. Thought about getting towers for rear surround if we switch the room around since I'd be losing my in-wall prewiring.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Halfway afraid of the fabric that Palliser offers to be honest but I'm simply not getting leather. La-Z-Boy has much better fabric in my opinion, but those have strange armrests not as much support and aren't very popular. Their fabric seems to be hands down better though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, you have the ceiling height to get away with a second row on a riser, but the tv might end up looking tiny from the second row. That's a tough call.

-Sean

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best I can tell, that second row will be close to the back wall if the front row is at a comfortable and normal distance to the TV. Which, yeah, it's nearly 20' away. Best case scenario I save 3' walkway in the back, which probably isn't going to happen, but even then it's 17' but probably more. I could consider a projector I guess but that wasn't the plan. I'm cool with a row of 4 in the front especially since I already prewired everything but it may be a little wide. Was going to just get three or at least 4 with a middle loveseat but my wife is on a 4 independent seat kick and it seems a bit wide. She is afraid somebody is going to get left out and be forced to sit on a bean bag during family movie night. A row of 4 or two rows is the only way that's going to happen. The sharp viewing angle is the only thing I'm worried about with the 4.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why not use the 20' length and have the second row pull double duty as extra seating and office?

A single row of four plus the desk area version of the Fadum Theater could work nicely. Projection would be my first choice

of display.

A flat panel computer monitor could be on a lift, in the desk. The soft upholstered seating of the office area could then

pull double duty as extra seating.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for the projector, as you can see below this is kind of a pirate theme. Everything is solid black. To get a projector working, I'd have to paint an entire wall white, which may look funny. I don't know anything about them though, maybe there's retractable screens like you see in school. I thought everybody in the home theater world painted a wall white though and I don't really want to do that. In the pic below this wall would be the back if I left things alone, you can see my 7.1 surround terminals and audio cables in the corner. If I switched it to where that picture was on the left, I'd have to abandon all that. Without doing that, I only have 15' deep, but 20' wide. And yes I need black outlets and whatnot!

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you go with a projector, you would definitely not want any wall to be painted white. Your black walls would be perfect, but the projector and screen are an added expense that you obviously weren't planning on having. If you do go with a projector, then long ways with two rows is a no brainer with your ceiling height. If you stick with a tv, then I'd say go with your 4 seats and wide layout.

-Sean

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need somewhere to sit, need some kind of furniture, I have nothing right now, been watching tv on bean bags. Could get by with cheaper couches but I'm ordering something soon.

Wish I could see a home theater projector. I've never met a single person that has one, have no idea what they look like in person. To be honest I've never been in a house that even has home theater seating. Hard to order stuff on a whim like that.

I'm probably going to have to stick with the row of 4 stretched long ways then install a non-reclining back row in the future if that's not enough. Would be hard to justify installing a projector in the ceiling, and elevating the back row, and installing desks, and abandoning all my prewiring, that seems kind of nuts, I should have started with this plan when I built my house if I were going to do all that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you've never seen a HT PJ in action, I urge you (and your wife) to see one. It will blow you all away how much cooler it is than having a tv and you'll probably jump on the PJ band wagon right away.

-Sean

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. A coworker showed me some youtube videos and I feel kind of dumb now, pictures of theater seating sitting around a dinky television looks pretty stupid now. Guess I need to research projectors. Been looking at curved seats but the straight ones save 17" of width if you get four seats. A row of four straight long ways with a 120" projector might be a good compromise, I could still have space in the back and corners for office equipment and I wouldn't have to rewire everything or build a platform or spend an extra 2 grand on seats.

Up until recently we've been relatively poor too so I didn't exactly design things like I could have if money wasn't as big of an object as it was at the time. Like I said, I've been sitting on bean bags for awhile.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I went with a projector is straight seats the way to go? Been planning on curved if I have a TV, but like I said, that seems kind of dumb now.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndogggy  /t/1525159/please-help-with-layout-design-and-seat-choices#post_24555951

Wish I could see a home theater projector. I've never met a single person that has one, have no idea what they look like in person.

Put your location in your forum profile... Perhaps someone here lives closeby that can give you a live demo.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1525159/please-help-with-layout-design-and-seat-choices#post_24556167

Put your location in your forum profile... Perhaps someone here lives closeby that can give you a live demo.

Far western Kentucky. All my friends and family are more of the ******* sorts and home theater isn't exactly a big priority.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
A row of four IKEA Poang seats plus an Epson 5030 with a DIY screen, would be a killer budget setup.

There's a substantial DIY screen sub forum on AVS, too.

·
Banned
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/1525159/please-help-with-layout-design-and-seat-choices#post_24557453

A row of four IKEA Poang seats plus an Epson 5030 with a DIY screen, would be a killer budget setup.

I was planning to at least eventually spend $2,500 on a TV anyway so a projector in that price range or a little more doesn't scare me off. Definitely will be getting nicer seats than that though. Can't go too crazy but up to $5,000 for seats is fine. I can always upgrade to a projector later on and use my 47" TV temporarily. I have like zero nice furniture so that's next on the list but yeah I'm sold on projectors at this point, that will be next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts