AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to start work on my HT - I am using the basement, but am not sure what I need to do, acoustically.

It is not rectangular, it's L-Shaped. It has 4 large glass doors on the 'south' wall, and a window at the east and west ends. I still need the use of these doors, so removing them is not an option. I could remove the windows though.

Excuse the ASCII art, but here's what I have to work with. The * represent windows, the $ are the doors (glass). The & is where I envisage the drywall going if opinion here is that I need to do it. There is a door to the Laundry/Bath, but there is no door leading to the upstairs or to the garage (if that stuff matters). The 13' measurement is from the south wall to the laundry/bath wall, so I would still have 23x13 if I put up the drywall.

What do you guys think? Is the glass really that bad? Would heavy curtains suffice? Do I need to put up that drywall? I'd like to minimize the sound travelling up to the 1st floor as much as possible - any ideas on how to effectively do that bearing in mind I am not at the construction phase?

Any comments appreciated! Thanks.

Code:
Code:
| STAIRS|       |  TO  |
|   UP  |_______|GARAGE|_______________
|                      |              |           
|                      |              |
|                         LAUNDRY/    |
|                         BATH        |
|&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&|______________|
|                                     |
*           PROPOSED HT               *
|____$$$$$$$___________$$$$$$$$_______|

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
There are several things at work here. Some of your questions deal with how things will sound inside the room. Others are dealing with isolation. Some are both.

I'd do the drywall so you have a symmetric space. You'll also have a better shot at more easily pressurizing the space with bass and also predicting how it will behave. In the bargain, you get some isolation value. To me this is a win-win.

If it were me, I'd wall off the area at the bottom right and make the room on the left side with the front being where the doors are potentially. I'd want to know about the dimensions of doing it that way though. I'd only do this if you could do a hall by the doors on top - turning to go past the bathroom and have the entry on the side of the theater room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.