AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are coming out tomorrow to do my install and I am curious what my options are in hooking up my sets. Do they put a wall plate in where I plug in the HDMI cable or will I need an adapter? Would it be better for them to just run the line down and I do my own thing? I am looking to do one of those plate setups where all my feeds come into one panel to the different sets. Any help would be great. Pictures of what the typical Direct TV install looks like in the wall would be even better! Thanks!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Uh, the HDMI goes from the receiver to the TV. They won't do anything special for that. They'll run coax from the dish to the receiver; that's all. Wall plate for the coax? Maybe if you're very lucky. More likely just a hole, hopefully sealed.

If you want a better installation, you'll have to do it yourself, or hire someone separately from DirecTV's standard installation package.

And here are the pictures... The first is a typical single-line connection, from my initial DirecTV install. The second is the same (next to an old cable hookup -- why not reuse that? you may well ask). But in this picture, you can see where he made two failed attempts to drill through, hitting a stud. No attempt to patch the holes.

The last picture shows what happened when I got upgraded to an HD dish. The pre-existing wall plate on the right (formerly used for cable, probably installed by the builder) was being used for two lines, and I had to have two more lines put in. Good job, eh? The installer said he was going to put barrels on the lines so I could install a wall plate myself, but he didn't. He also (I am not making this up) took down my old dish, tried to install a new one that was broken (which he said he knew was probably broken when he picked it up that morning), took it down, and left it that way overnight, despite my protests.

You'll notice that there are no longer any lines hooked up to that wall plate. That's because I'm on Fios now. They're much more professional (union labor, etc.). I'd show you a picture of their jack, but it's behind a desk. Still no actual wall plate, though -- they brought the line in and connected it to a surface-mounted jack.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! He wil be here in an hour so I will just let him do his thing running the Coax in to the box and take it from there. Nothing like having to fish wires and make more holes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts