Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

after much pondering, I've decided to go for a plasma tv.

And today is the day!

Here are my choices and prices:

Hitachi 4121HDU for $3699 + $299 for desktop stand

Panasonic PT42PD3P for $3899 including stand

I will be using it mostly for watching non-HD Directv and commercial dvds.

I will be adding OTA HD in the future.

I know the Hitachi has 1024x1024 and panny has 852x480 but all reviews seem to favor the Panasonic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
The consensus on this board would be to get the Pansonic. However also think most here would recommend you do a little more homework befor taking the plunge.

For example, an extremely quick scan of the internet shows you can get a better deal. For example, google "Panasonic PT42PD3P" and the first link shows you can get it $3,649.99

http://electronics.bizrate.com/Panas...4,rf--wgg.html

Also you can get a newer model, the

Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY, for less than your $3899 quote above.

You definitely should look at the excellent Frequently Asked question document for this forum. I think you might find the question about Panasonic model numbers particuarily helpful.
http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#panamodel

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am really in the same point of decision that you are---hitachi, with higher resolution, or the Panny, with less--both around the same price. I have read nearly every forum about either of these tv's on this site, and it is obvious that the lower resolution Panny is preferred. Yet I have seen both of these at the same store and must say that the Hitachi was better, in my opinion, although it wasn't a clear choice--the panny was good too. I saw both playing a DVD (the panny was playing a football dvd, and the hitachi was playing a sea-life program, but I asked them to change it to Star Wars Episode II for comparison), and both DVD players were Sony progressive-scan models.

I liked the Hitachi better--less pixelation, less distortion--a bit sharper picture. Yet I also must say that the colors on the Panny were superior--I believe that tv has a 3000:1 contrast ratio, so amazing color depth wasn't a surprise. The Hitachi had a bit of a darker image. While watching the star wars dvd the accuracy of people on the Hitachi was a bit distorted--colors were accurate, but it wasn't as sharp and edge-defined as I would have expected. The football program on the Panny looked quite good, considering it was dvd, but I assume that would be about as good as it would ever look because it has limited resolution and can't display HDTV. So although the Hitachi DVD experience wasn't even as good as some of the higher-end direct-view sets on the market today, it can do HDTV, which is the main reason I would go that way.

Some people on other forums say that the Hitachi advertises at 1024 x 1024, although because that vertical/horizontal, and because of the standard Hitachi ALIS system, lighting even and odd lines alternately, that somehow really makes the Hitachi 1024 x 520. I can't really comment on this, and it could be true, yet let's be realistic--why would Hitachi, a major international corporation, perform false-advertising (which, if I have to remind everyone, is a federal offense), risking law suits and the likes? What would they have to gain? So it's really got to be 1024 x 1024.\\

An alternative if a few hundred dollars more isn't a problem, is the Pioneer 4330CMX, which is liked on many forums over both the panny and the hitachi--this is an HDTV set too, yet requires a $300 video card to actually bring it up from 1024 x 768 to 1024 x 1024, so it's a bit more expensive--this you can buy on the internet for around $3800.

·
Registered
465 Posts
beasts,

"requires a $300 video card to actually bring it up from 1024 x 768 to 1024 x 1024"

There is no video card that will change the number of pixels on a panel, that's fixed in manufacturing. The cards enable a computer monitor to act as a TV.

jack

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
beasts:

Most people on this forum believe ALIS panels are inferior to all others. For reasons why, do a search on ALIS, then make up your own mind.

The Pioneer 433CMX is a 1024 x 768 panel. The card doesn't change that. It enables you to connect S-Video, composite, and DVI, plus it enables component video via inputs 1 and 2. These are typically used for progressive DVD players and high definition STB’s.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Also be aware that most of the online vendors are now throwing in the 5002 video card for the Pioneer plasmas for free, no extra cost now!

·
Registered
780 Posts
In addition, if you decide to put the Pio 433 on your short list, the card slot offer a lot of flexibility for future enhancements with out changing out the entire Plasma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.