AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently my ps3 is hooked into my 53" panasonic tv via hdmi with an adapter that plugs into my digital input port and 2 composit audio cables (since hdmi is plugged here it only outputs video, not sound). i have surround sound which plugs into my dvd player which has component out, 1 composit out and one composit in. theortically i thought i could plug in composit audio into composit in on my dvd player, then have composit cables going from my dvd's composit out to my digital input audio in, but that did not work. can anyone please shed light on why this did not work, how i could make it work, or any other way i could make it work with still keeping high definition. i need to know because i need to buy saw3 and i dont kno wether to get it on bluray or dvd.

ps. i have the audio settings set to composit audio cables and video set to hdmi so it shouldnt have anything to do with the settings on the ps3.

also another weird thing i dont understand is that i have HD digital cable, and i run the component cables right to my tv and if i plug composit audio ables into my dvd from the cable box, then out to my tv there is no surround sound, the only way i get surround sound is when i have a big oldschool white cable going al the way through everything to my tv. i am willing to spend a little bit of money on making my ps3 surround sound so please if you could suggest anything... would optical audio cords help? thanks

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
You cannot get discrete surround sound using analog stereo cables. You can only get digital surround using optical and digital coax cables.

You should only be using the optical output from the PS3 (and your cable box, DVD player, etc) to your home theater receiver. You should not be using any composite cables.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turvey11 /forum/post/0

currently my ps3 is hooked into my 53" panasonic tv via hdmi with an adapter that plugs into my digital input port and 2 composit audio cables (since hdmi is plugged here it only outputs video, not sound). i have surround sound which plugs into my dvd player which has component out, 1 composit out and one composit in. theortically i thought i could plug in composit audio into composit in on my dvd player, then have composit cables going from my dvd's composit out to my digital input audio in, but that did not work. can anyone please shed light on why this did not work, how i could make it work, or any other way i could make it work with still keeping high definition. i need to know because i need to buy saw3 and i dont kno wether to get it on bluray or dvd.

ps. i have the audio settings set to composit audio cables and video set to hdmi so it shouldnt have anything to do with the settings on the ps3.

also another weird thing i dont understand is that i have HD digital cable, and i run the component cables right to my tv and if i plug composit audio ables into my dvd from the cable box, then out to my tv there is no surround sound, the only way i get surround sound is when i have a big oldschool white cable going al the way through everything to my tv. i am willing to spend a little bit of money on making my ps3 surround sound so please if you could suggest anything... would optical audio cords help? thanks

Consult the manual. There are hook up guides for surround sound. Just follow the diagrams.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ok so your saying that normal white and red cables wont give me surround sound? ok then what are my options? i dont think my dvd player has optical inputs or outputs, and in my case the surround sound all goes right to the dvd player from the sub woofer. are there any sort of adapters or boxes i can buy that will help me? or will my (panasonic) surround sound only work with that specific dvd player?

thanx

EDIT: also i just checked the user guide and the configurations it suggested wouldnt work because my dvd player doesnt have an hdmi plugin or a optical plugin (piece of junk i got it 3 years ago and its already outdated). i guess its not looking good unless there is some kind of adapter i can buy that will give my dvd player an optical input, because it looks like if i had an optical input then it would work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please... does anyone have any ideas? is my best bet to by a new dvd player with optical inputs? also if i buy another panasonic dvd player will it still be able to input the surround sound via the subwoofer?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turvey11 /forum/post/0

please... does anyone have any ideas? is my best bet to by a new dvd player with optical inputs? also if i buy another panasonic dvd player will it still be able to input the surround sound via the subwoofer?

Not sure about your setup as you did not mention it. The bare minimum would be a good AVR with 4 optical inputs, 1 HDMI input and 5.1 speakers to enjoy surround sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry if i sound rele stupid, but if i got a new dvd player with better plugins, plugged it into my sub woofer, what would happen if i just plugged optical out from ps3 into the dvd players optical in? would it then play audio in surround sound or would i have to plug my dvd player into my tv with optical audio?

thanx in advance

·
Registered
362 Posts
You'd need to connect an optical cable from the PS3 optical out to a receiver optical in order to decode the surround sound properly. Using a DVD player will not work! Your TV only has stereo sound through tiny speakers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It sounds like he has one of those DVD/receiver/5.1 in the box setups. If the DVD player only has composite in, then it probably only decodes Dolby Pro Logic which will not be very exciting since it will go from a 2.1 (where the 1 is back not sub) to a real fake 5.1 sound.

I vote start over.

Figure out a price range and we can probably suggest something MUCH better, but if you really have one of those in a box setups, you will need to buy a player, receiver, AND new speakers. Those box setups typically do not let you change one part and thus why they are bad ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah crap... o well. i dont have enough money to buy a whole new set of everything so i guess for now ill have to settle with either dvds with surround sound or bluray without. thanx for the help everyone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.