AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an annoying problem with my Seleco HT300, and I'm wide open to suggestions on this. This has done this ever since I purchased it brand new when they first shipped, in fact mine was one of the very first in the US.

First my DVD player is a Panasonic RP-91. MY Projector is a Seleco HT300 with the latest software installed.

My problem is that when I use the interlaced signal from the DVD player I see pretty bad vertical jaggies on any curved or round surface. The only way I can get them where they cannot be seen is to turn the sharpness and filter all the way down to zero, so then I lose all the detail.

When I use the progressive output then I get warped wavy vertical lines, meanig if you see a straight vertical line like text it is warped slightly and wavy.

I am using the RI2.

If I can get the thing to work properly with the interlaced output then the de-interlacing in the projector works much better than what is in the DVD player.

Thoughts on stuff to try. I have tried three different DVD players and they all do the same thing.

Anyone else seeing this??

Maybe that is just the way interlaced DVD output looks??

-- Cain

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have you tried connecting straight into the 300 and bypassing the RI2? I can't say I'm seeing anything like that on my ht300+ fed directly with interlaced from an old Pioneer player(DV525 or something). Some recent posts suggest problems with the RI2; however I don't remember the specifics.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have two different DVD players with interlaced output connected via an RI2 and they both look terrific. I hooked up one of them via progressive (directly to the projector) and felt that the interlaced looked better so I switched it back.

Myself and some others have reported problems with progressive output via the RI2; but this was seen as wavy lines not jaggies, and for most of us, it went away when connecting directly to the projector.

You should definitely try connecting directly to the projector if you haven't already. Also, try a different component cable.

--Jeff

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will try both tonight, or tomorrow.

If it is a problem with the RI2, then that is a BIG problem, since that is the only way I can currently reach my projector!!

That wavy lines with the RI2 business is definitely a problem with the RI2 that nearly everyone has. I wonder why they cannot/will not fix it??

Anyone else have any comments of thoughts here??

-- Cain

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cain,

It's hard to tell from your description, but you could have a ground fault loop problem. Try disconnecting your cable tv, satellite, or antenna feeds from your system and see if this makes a difference. Not sure this is it, but worth a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also see the same wavy lines (jaggies?) in interlaced and not in progressive, using the RI2 & HT300. Watched ICE AGE the other day and everything looked great, but when the credits rolled, all the type was pulsating/shimmering...but nice and steady in progressive. Could there be a problem with the Faroudja DCDi?

Interlaced seems to look better overall - I'm using a new, but inexpensive Toshiba SD4800 DVD ... great picture, but without other players for comparison, I wonder what I may be missing.

Been debating about getting a long component cable to go directly to the projector to get the 2nd component input (HDTV or DVD).

Question: What's better - use a KeyDigital transcoder (best reviews here) and short VGA cables to the RI2, or go with a long component cable to the projector???

(Hate the thought of a 2nd long cable run.)

Thanks,

-John6002

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.