AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my 5.1 system to a 7.1 system. My current setup is a Denon AVR-788, and speakers from this page: http://jamo.com/Default.aspx?ID=5898

four of the A 102 satellites 60W/80W(2 as fronts, 2 as surrounds), a A 10 CEN center 60W/80W, and the SUB 200. I'm thinking of moving my current 2 fronts to the surround back positions getting bookshelf replacements for the front 2 channels (the room I'm currently using doesn't allow for floorstanding speakers). I've been doing some research around the net and read a bit about the underpowering of speakers and how it can possibly hurt the speakers (or the receiver? I'm not sure) if the amp is driven too high.

I work @ a retail store with a modest speaker selection and get a cost + 5% discount on home audio. I was looking at these possible bookshelf replacements: the Klipsch RSX-4's, RSX-5's, B2's, RB10's.

So I'm looking at the power ratings of these speakers and wondering how to match them to my AVR-788. In the 788 manual it states the power rating being 90W per channel @ 8 ohms in the 20Hz to 20kHz range and 120W per channel @ 6 ohms and 1kHz. So let's say I matched up my AVR-788 with the RSX-5's which have a 75W RMS/continuous max (300W peak). If I normally listen to movies @ a -10dB level (receiver min -80dB, max +14dB) will this damage my speakers or receiver? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump. anyone?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That receiver should have no difficulty driving those speakers, and the speakers should be fine with that receiver's power, unless you drive the speakers to ridiculously high volumes and drive the amp into clipping (it's much easyier to damage a speaker with too little power than too much). Not a likely scenario, as the Klipsch speakers have a high sensitivitly, you'll probably use less volume than with your current setup.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as a general guideline, is there a limit of how powerful the speakers I choose can be? (in terms of the continous and peak powers)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not really. First off, there's really no such thing as 'speaker power', unless you're referring to a speakers rated power handling. Speakers are going to take whatever power comes in and convert that electrical energy into mechanical energy. Speaker power ratings (the input power a speaker is rated to handle) are really more of a guideline. If you were to take a 50 watt amp and crank up the volume vs a 450 watt amp to a speaker rated to handle 100 watts, the 50 watt amp will fry the speakers first. Why? Because at some point, the 50 watt amp ran out of juice due to the demands placed on it with the high volume levels and started clipping, which is heard at the speakers by staticy, distorted sound. Clipping is usually what fries a speaker.

As a general guideline, you might want to stay with an amp that has power ratings within the speakers published limits, simply to avoid a rejected warranty claim should the speakers fail for some reason (even if it's not due to the amp).

The majority of the time, most amps are only putting out a fraction of their rated power anyways.

Since you're going with Klipsch speakers with their high sensitivity, you'll probably never need more that 50 watts anyways, that is enough power to get a high sensitivity speaker loud enough to damage your hearing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deneb, thanks for all your help, you really cleared up an clouded issue for me...

I guess it's a good thing my AVR-788 has its own automatic room EQ calibration system, otherwise I might have been stuck with front heavy sound with high sensitivity Klipsch left/rights and low sensitivity Jamo's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts