AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had hoped this week I would purchasing a SVS-PB2000 as a massive upgrade to my Polk PSW10. Unfortunately the saved finances have to be used for something else, and I'll have to wait for a while...maybe a long while. So, I was hoping to get some help to make my system sound the best with what I've got....

Polk

Monitor 70s

CS2

Monitor 40s

PSW10

Denon AVR-1910

As of now I let a Audyssey completely calibrate without altering any crossovers and such. I have the Monitor 70s bi-amped and have the receiver set to LFE+Main as I figured the PSW10 might need a bit of help. Should I be setting it up differently? Monitor 70s set to Large.

I also have an old passive "white van" sub that was given to me, and an old yamaha receiver sitting under my bed. I had powered this sub with the old receiver before my wife bought me the PSW10. Was wondering if maybe I should set that up again and have both the passive sub (powered with the yamaha), and the PSW10 running. Would this be ridiculous?

I'm terribly disappointed about not being able to upgrade (been trying for 3 years) and just need to do somethin'. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I left the calibration exactly as Audyssey had it. The 70s were set to large. As far as bi-amping, it is what the Denon instructions suggested. Does this hurt the quality of sound, or is it simply a gimmick being passive? Really, I'm just asking for suggestions for the best setup and settings for my speakers/sub + receiver.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Audyssey didn't set your speakers to large, your avr did. Audyssey always recommends when using a sub to set your mains to small; avr manufacturers can do what they want in this regard (they don't want to tell you your stuff is small....). Altho not the most capable sub I'd set the speakers to small and not do the lfe & main either and see what you think, then maybe try the lfe & main setting if that gains you more (but could be different depending on type of content you're listening to). Passive bi-amping is another of those things they'd not try and insult you (since you have speakers that can be passively bi-amped....). Isn't it fun for marketing people to tell you stuff that isn't likely to help but rather sell more junk to you with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts