AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have been looking around and stumbled onto the W series set with 4 WB14 1 WC24 1 XW300D sub how much better are these speakers than the Quintet IV system with a Sub 12. Is the upgrade really worth the extra $450 or not, I am going to be using a Yahama A700 to drive them in an 18x14' room open on the left side to the Kitchen.

If you have other suggestions around 1000 Total I am all ears, even if they may be a bit tone deaf.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You seem fixated on Klipsch micro speakers - have you listened to either? Are you willing to accept their frequency response limitation? The WB-14 need to crossover to the sub at 90hz or higher and the Quintets even higher. I haven't heard the WB-14 but I have owned older Quintets and based on those my advice is to go with larger bookshelves and a better subwoofer.
  • You can still find last years Infinity Primus P162 bookshelves (mains), PC250 (center) and P152 bookshelves (surrounds) and save a few bucks off the newer models.
  • Newegg has been having clearance sales every couple of weeks on Polk Audio's discontinued Monitor 30 and 40 bookshelves and matched CS1 or 2 bookshelves. If you aren't in a rush or don't mind paying non-sale prices then the Monitor series is a decent option.
  • I'd have both Hsu Research and Elemental Designs size a subwoofer to fit your room. Both are very honest and neither will try to oversell you. eD tends to be a few bucks cheaper but builds to order meaning a delay. Hsu usually has stock on hand. Both will give you a ton more bang for the buck than Klipsch subwoofers.

You should be able to audition the Klipsch, Infinity and Polk at your local big box electronics store.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need a small bookshelf or sat for the fronts because of room restraints. I actually own B&W 602 fronts and 601 rears right now but the 602's are way too big, I had a CC6 but it was ruined. I am looking for a front that is no taller than 12". I am concentrating on the Klipsch mostly because the W series looks like a great deal at Vanns right now and the Quintet Has the free Sub 12 on Newegg and I have 200 credit there currently making that system effectively 349

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would the P162 or the Polk monitor 30 really be better than the WB-14? I have heard the Quintet but it was in best buy so I did not get a quality listen. I have looked around and I can't buy/ audition local so I am leaning here and hopefully with enough input I can decide.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrs /forum/post/19615445

Would the P162 or the Polk monitor 30 really be better than the WB-14? I have heard the Quintet but it was in best buy so I did not get a quality listen. I have looked around and I can't buy/ audition local so I am leaning here and hopefully with enough input I can decide.

The WB-14 crosses over higher but the important thing is if you like the Klipsch sound. It's personal taste.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it now I have thrown one one set into the ring and that would be the Polk RTi A1 into the mix, my brain is going to explode here shortly, I should just pick a set and buy buy i almost feel paralyzed. But I think I have narrowed it down to the Klipsch WB-14's and the RTi A1's. anyone have any opinion that might help. If I audition TSI at best buy would I get a good idea of the "polk" sound. I appreciate all of the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts