·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

First I am very new to all this

I just received an Eiki LC-X984 (A Sanyo PLC-XP18N clone) Projector

Basic Specs are below:

The problem I am having is: When hooked up to my new Progressive Scan DVD Player (Panasonic RP-82) through Component cables (Blue Jean Cables Brand), the picture has a lot of noticeable Vertical lines running up and down, the whole width of the screen? When I watch something in HD I cannot see these lines? I doubled checked to make sure the progressive scan is turned on the DVD Player and the projector accepts the signal as 480P. Anyone seen anything likes this or have any ideas? Any help would be great. The screen is 100inch diagonal

Thanks,

- Scott

Resolution: XGA (1024 x 768)

Display Device: 1.3" TFT Polysilicon x 3

Brightness: 2000 ANSI lumens

Uniformity: 90%

Data Signals: Compressed SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA, MAC, PC98

Video Signals: PAL/PAL-M/PAL-N/SECAM/NTSC/NTSC4.43

Video Resolution: HDTV; 1080i, 1035i, 720p, 575p, and 480p

Aspect Ratio(s): 4:3 (16:9 wide screen mode)

No. of Colors: 16.7 million

Contrast Ratio: 700:1

Lamp: 200W UHP

Lamp Life: not spec'd

Lens: Powered zoom and focus; 1:1.3 Zoom

F/1.8 - 2.1; f=1.9" - 2.5"

Image Size: 31 - 400 in. (diagonal)

Throw Distance: 4.6' to 48'

Keystone: Digital correction +/- 30 degrees

Proj. Method(s): not spec'd by mfg.

Input: 2 RGB (15 pin)

2 Audio Stereo Mini Jacks

1 Composite AV (RCA x 3)

1 S-Video

1 Component (RCA x3-Y, Cb/Cr,Pb/Pr)

1 mouse control port

1 mouse/RS-232 control port

Output: 1 RGB (15 pin)

1 External Speaker (mini jack)

1 Audio (mini jack)

H-Sync Range: 15-100 kHz

V-Sync Range: 50-100 Hz

Built-in Audio: Two-piece, 3-watt Stereo

Audible Noise: not spec'd

Weight: 15.2 lbs.

Dimensions: 10.7 in. (W) x 16.2 in. (D) x 5.7 in. (H)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is one of the LCD technology flaw...

Projectors are more or less sensitive to "show" vertical banding depending on source. Try another DVD player (I mean another model/brand) to see if it helps.

Go to the "cheap" projectors forum. Li on says lots of things about vertical banding.

Carlos

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
On my 21N, which has the same electronics there was an adjustment for dots, or find synch and such. Sorry I can't recall the magic words, but there was an auto selection option right there which kind of randomly resets those parameters. This eliminated them for me the one time they showed up after I made them appear by screwing with something I obviously should have left alone. Try resetting it several times until you totally eliminate the lines and then look at the setting, and turn off the auto function and manually set them at the combo the software picked that time. Sorry for all the technical jargon.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe,

I found some of the settings that you are referring to. They where under the computer 1 or computer 2 menu. Do the changes I make there have any results to the Video settings? Do you know what some of your settings are? I have no idea what to set the Dots, pixels and the rest of the settings to? I have hit default and reset several times now. Also there are settings such as

Fine Sync = on/off

Total Dots = on/off

Position = on/off

I have all of them set to "on"

Fine Sync = 0-127

Total Dots = Some number

Another PC menu has the following also

Total Line = ???

Total Dots = ???

Clamp = ???

Fine Sync = ???

Display area H and V = ???

Any help would be great. My picture with my Panasonic RP-82 is not very impressive, even through component connection. My HD pictures looks good, but I want to watch DVD's as well

- Scott

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I was watching through a Quadscan Elite. The Sat Rcvr and DVD both hooked into it and it sent a VGA signal to the pj. When I tried it at first, without the video processor/scaler it looked pretty bad. Lots of artifacts, blockiness, stairstepping on edges etc. It has pretty well been decided that the scaler on the 21/N is not so hot and an outboard scaler is required. My picture was perfect with the QSE. So I guess I don't have much experience trying to adjust it for a straight component input.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
There are different kinds of vertical banding. There's the scaling-induced kind which is a product of poor scaling, and then there's the LCD-artifact.

If it's the dreaded LCD-vertical-banding artifact then it's there regardless of source. But it's not visible in all conditions, dull, grey scenes is where it most often shows. My projector had vertical bandin, it could be seen without any source connected even by looking through the test-screens built in the projector. Try browsing through a completely green, blue and red picture and then a 50% green, blue and red picture. If you have the banding, you will see it then. How bad it is varies from projector to-projector, I have had two of the same projector and the first one was much worse than the second one so it's pretty random.

There are ways to fix it but the procedure is different from projector to projector. The safest bet is to contact Eiki and hear what they have to say. But I doubt they will even find the error if you send it in. They will probably look at it in a lit room where it's almost imposible to find any LCD-flaws.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
On my 21N, it didn't appear until I started "tweaking", so I kept screwing with it until it went away. Then I left it alone. The picture was very smooth when it was set up right, however that was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.