AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

I've been looking around for something to plug in to my TV that will read MKV files and let me play them without ripping them to a DVD.

It seems the WD TV is the best option for me, as network capabilities are not important. I just want to be able to put a movie file on my USB drive and go to my TV and play it, just like watching a DVD.

But I find myself very confused. My local Best Buy has two available. Both say WD TV on them, and I don't believe the more expensive one is the Live version.

1) The WDBABF0000N is $120.

2) The WDAVN00BN is $89.

For the life of me, I cannot tell the difference between the two. Can someone enlighten me, and tell me if the first one is worth the extra $30?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The WDBABF0000N is the second generation of the WDTV HD. It is the better unit. It is the non-networked version of the WDTV Live. Faster processor, more RAM, etc. It plays higher re-frames and *seems* to have better firmware support. If I was in the market for a non-network enabled media player, that would be the one I choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but will any of that really make any difference to me? My TV is 1080i, and I will be using MKV files ripped straight from DVD's.

Will it make much difference in terms of picture quality or just in terms of speed and quickness?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalvano /forum/post/18143811

Forgive my ignorance, but will any of that really make any difference to me? My TV is 1080i, and I will be using MKV files ripped straight from DVD's.

Will it make much difference in terms of picture quality or just in terms of speed and quickness?

yes. the old one is dead. get the new one, you wont regret it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.