AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am brand new to this home audio and would love to upgrade from my 5.1 panasonic box setup I got from walmart. I am willing to spend around a thousand dollars. Maybe a little more if necessary. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. The most important part for me is the bass. I have a 55 inch LCD Samsung tv and need a great stereo to go along.

Thanks!

My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am at school right now but it is a decent sized living room. I don't have a speaker size preference. Any size works. And 70 to 30 movie to music percentage. The budget is for everything. I'm starting from scratch unless I can use the back 2 speakers from the box setup I have now

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Look to the basic AVRs from Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer. This will run you $3-400 depending on which one and where you get it. This leaves about $600 for speakers. For "bookshelves", this is not hard. If towers, things get a little pricier. The front three (L/C/R) is the most important. This is where you should concentrate your money. Surround are not as important and you might be able to use the ones you have.

I would check out Newegg.com for some Polk speakers. For your price range, they can't be beat!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
It still depends on your overall goal. The only thing towers do is have lower bass extension. You could get some towers and not get a sub or you can get some bookshelves and get a sub. Either way will probably cost you the same to get down to a certain Hz level. A good sub will start at about $500. A Paradigm Sub 25 is over $4k!

So figure out what you really want and let us know!

My personal favorites so far for bookshelves are B&W 685s ($650 a pair) and Monitor Audio BX2s ($500 a pair). As for towers, B&W 683s ($1,500 a pair) are (really) nice.

On the cheap, Polk Monitor series can't be beat! Check out Newegg.com.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. What would be some of the better subs in the 500 dollar price range? And what are te best Polk audio speakers for the front 3? I have some friends that have Polk audio equipment

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
For just a little more than $500, you can get a Rythmik F12. One of the best subs out there. But look into BIC or HSU (shoe) as well.

Best Polks for front three? Lots of combinations there. Three Monitor 50s would be good with a sub. Or Monitor 60s. You could go with Monitor 40s but, they are sold in pairs so you would have a extra one for that Leslie Organ, lazy susan effect! Kidding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard the F12 was a good music sub. I want one that is great for movie watching and will shake the house. What do you think? My next question is if I get a pair of the Polk Monitor 60's, a polk CS2 for the center:

1) Could I still use the 2 rears from my current set up as the surrounds in my new setup?

2) What all supplies would I need? Some speaker wire obviously. but does the wire come with the speakers? Or do I need to buy some? if so, what size and brand?

3) With all this equipment, what is the best model from Denon, Onkyo, and Pioneer?

Thanks karlsaudio!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
1) Yes.

2) Wire does not come with the speakers. Opinions will vary but, 14 AWG wire is really all you need. Just hardware store stuff.

3)They will all sound about the same. I am more partial to Denon and Pioneer myself. Which one is best? Make a list of features you need and find the one that has them all.

Good beginer AVRs would be a Denon AVR1611 or the Pioneer 1020. Don't get all bent out of shape with wattage output. They have plenty for a small to medium sized room.

The Rythmik F12 will be good for movies too!

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would the hsu vtf-3 mk3 be too loud for my setup? or would i be better off with the next one down: the VTF-2 MK3?

So I don't need an amplifier like I would with my car system? Or i just wire everything together and I'm good to go?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Um. Not sure on the car stereo correlation. They are the same in some ways but totally different in others. If you are thinking of using a AVR as a pre amp, that is a whole other can of worms with much more financial involvement.

Either sub would work but, you can call them and they can recommend one.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
No... if it's a powered (active) subwoofer, you don't need an additional amp. It's built in to the enclosure.

VTF-3 MK3 At a Glance

Amp Power (RMS) 350 Watts

VTF-2 MK 3 At a Glance

Amp Power (RMS) 250

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think that's the same as the 2311 with one or two things missing for features. If it is what you want, go for it! You can't go wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts