AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a htpc and have a question. I have done searches without much luck. I am wanting just dvd play back for now, but am wanting hdtv later. Is anyone using the radeon dvi to component adapter? If so good is it. I have a 56" toshiba widescreen HDTV with only component in. Am I correct in my understanding that with a radeon 8500 or 9700 pro and the adapter will be able to scale dvd to 1080i? Will the picture quality vary greatly on dvd from the 8500 to the 9700 pro? I know it will on games, but I don't play games. Also will the picture quality be better than my sony 9000es? Thanks in advance for help.

setup is

AMD athlon 750 with 256mb 133hz ram

Not sure on the mother board.

Running widows xp.

Will use theatertek for dvd playback (does anyone know where I can find this?)

pluckyhd

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
My information may be old (I don't use component myself), but if you go with the dongle you may be limited to 480P for Macrovision/CSS encrypted DVDs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will I be able to get 1080i with dongle on other dvds? Am I better to do all in wonder 8500 128md or 9700 pro?

thanks

skye

·
Registered
276 Posts
Work permit, should he go with a vga transcoder and output to component instead of the DVI dongle?

That way he could use powerstrip to select the rez he wants without the limitation of the dongle.

The only issue I see with that config, is the overscan he would get. But desktop resizing should fix that.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the links. It looks like with the dongle on the 9500 pro which i decided on last night I should be able to get 1080i or 720p.

thanks

pluckyhd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.