AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having the same problem as before. Someone on a previous thread told me that I needed to run both lines from the LNB from the 101 sat into the switch instead of just the one and that did not work. As it stand now, I am only using the Sony receiver for the HD and that is it. I really want to get the patches but can't since it means that I won't be able to get the 119 sat during that time period. I am ready to try a new Sony receiver and see if that helps. I hate beating a dead horse but there has to be someone out there that has had this same problem and fixed it.

Here is a recap of what I have done and the problem(s) as it exists today:

I am still having trouble and have not ready to give up. Here is my situation. I recently upgraded to a Sony Sat-HD100 sat receiver to get HD on the 119 Sat.

The installer was not able to get both signals from both sats at the same time. We had to use the existing round dish on the side of my house for the 101 signal. The ellip dish is mounted on the front side of the house at the top eve. At this current time I am receiving the 119 signal through my Sony. The installer told me that if I want to get the 101 Sat I needed to hookup a 2nd cable to my 101 dish LNB and run it into the switch input for the 101 sat. (I am still using the other side of the LNB for my old RCA receiver that runs my TIVO).

Here is the problem: When I connection the 101 Sat to the switch I get these screen messages: 199 - Call Customer Service for ordering information x721" Chan 509 - "Program not available in your area." Now I get all of the programs that I am supposed to get on the 101 sat but not able to get the two HD channels. If I disconnect the 101 from the switch everything works fine but I don't get the 101 channels.

I have replaced the switch and get different messages 199 & 509 - "Channel not available"

I called a different Sat installer and he told me that the problem is that I need to run both 101 leads to the switch and hook up the Sony receiver and the RCA receiver to the switch??? - not sure why this would matter - I have not tried this since the cabling is attached to my house and would have to rewire everything with no guarantee it would work.

I have called numerous times to Tech support and they run all of these tests. No avail. I've spoken with programming and they have reset my card, taken all programming off and then reapplied it. NADA! They have no idea. All they can say is that they will have to send a tech out??

I want the 101 programming so that I can watch something else when it records and IT PISSES ME OFF WHEN I CAN'T FIX A PROBLEM!!!

I have even traded out cables to see it was a bad cable and that has not worked either.

If some of the experts can assist me in some ideas I would love it!

Thanks again in advance,

Brian L. Scott

1-800-681-2628

·
Registered
239 Posts
Brian,

Here is what you need to do. This explanation will be based on the fact that you will only have the 2 receivers hooked up. This will not work if you want to hook up a 3rd receiver.

Take the 2 outputs of the round dish (101) assuming that it is a dual lnb, and run one to each receiver. Hook one cable up to the RCA receiver with the TIVO. This should work fine.

Now run one cable from the eliptical dish to the HD100. At this point you should have 2 cables (one from each dish) hanging at the back of your HD100 receiver.

Now you need to get a 22kHz Switch. This is a small switch that has 2 inputs (labeled sat #1 and Sat #2), and one output. Hook the cable from the 101 dish into sat #1, and the cable from the 119 dish to sat #2. Then take the output to the HD100.

Your HD100 will send out a tone to this 22kHz switch when it tries to tune in a channel that is on the 119 sat, and the switch will choose the proper satelite.

You can get one of the 22kHz switches from Ebay. I just got one for $17 + shipping. At this point, you don't need to use any multiswitch at all.

Hope this helps.

You can email me directly at [email protected] if you need any additional help. Good luck.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The following information is based on you having a 4x4 multiswitch.

1: You must run 2 lines from a dual LNB on your dish pointed to 101 to the multiswitch that is labeled either Sat A or 13v/18v, 0KHz.

2: You must run 2 lines from a dual LNB on your dish pointed to 119 to the multiswitch that is labeled either Sat B or 13v/18v 22KHz.

3: You then run a line to your HD100 receiver connected to the first output.

4: You then run a line to your second receiver connected to your 2nd output.

5: Make sure that in your setup menu you have the HD100 set to 2 satellite locations. It should be the default.:cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
73 Posts
bl4scott,

You're not clear on whether or not you have the 4-way multi-switch on the elliptical dish or not, but here is what I suspect.

Your original round dish has one dual LNB. The new elliptical dish has one dual LNB set for satellite B (119) and the 4-way multi-switch. You have each dish mounted at a different location.

The 4-way multi-switch requires 2 dual LNBs because it sets each side of the dual LNB to a different polarity (one for clockwise, one for counter-clockwise). When the receiver requests a particular transponder with its corresponding polarity the multi-switch routes it to the correctly polarized side of the LNB. If the receiver adds a 22 KHz signal to the mix, this causes the multi-switch to select the B satellite LNB with, of course, the appropriately polarized side of the LNB.

When you run just one line from the round dish LNB to the multi-switch, you are "confusing" it, because it cannot get the other polarity from that satellite. This makes it operate incorrectly, thus the loss of channels 199 and 509 that worked previously, even though they're on a different LNB.

If you connect both LNB outputs from the round dish to the multi-switch and then connect both of your receivers--using one, individual cable for each to an output of the multi-switch--everything should work.

I would suggest that you pick up some pre-made cables from Radio Shack that are long enough to allow you to reconfigure your system properly and test it out. If it doesn't work, you can return them. Then, when you know everything's okay, you can do the necessary rewiring for a permanent installation.

Please note that I'm not an expert on this, but this is my understanding after hanging around these boards and what not over the years. YMMV!

P.S. I just thought of one more thing to check. Be sure that the LNBs are going into the correct inputs on the multi-switch! The LNB for the 101 satellite from the round dish, must go into the A input on the multi-switch and the LNB from the 119 satellite from the elliptical dish must go into input B. When only the 119 satellite LNB is being used, I think it can be connected to either input on the multi-switch and would still work for your HD-100. This may be a better explanation of why, when you hook up the round dish, things get messed up. If the 119 LNB is on input A, it may simply ignore the 22 KHz signal and connect the receiver to the appropriately polarized side. When you connect the 101 LNB from the round dish to the B input, it then actually switches to the 101 satellite expecting 119 signals and tells you that it's unavailable. Who really knows for sure??? Just be sure to check and recheck everything to make sure that it really is hooked up correctly.

Along this same line of thought, you are selecting the correct type of dish in the HD-100 setup aren't you? With everthing hooked up as outlined above you should have the elliptical dish with multi-switch selected, even though you have seperate dishes. You may have to experiment with the dish and switch setups to get it right if there's no auto-detect option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.