AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I`m planning in the future to get a HDTV. I now have a regular 50"toshiba cinema series tv and Directv sat. programming. If I buy an HD "ready" TV do I need to buy anything other than a HD receiver? Like the D?? 100. or is there more to this? also will my DirecTv dish have to be replaced? it is a dual LNB type? If all I need is the HD receiver and the HDTV then can I just plug them in and enjoy? thank you CI

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's what you will be needing for the entire HD setup.

You will need an HD ready tv. Second you will need a HD

Satellite reciever. Then you have to replace your current 18" dss satellite dish to an Ecliptical 18x24" oval dish, which is Directv-plus. Which will be seing 2 satellites to recieve HD programming from Directv. Then you have to install a UHF over the air antenna to recieve local DTV

broadcasting.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Then you have to install a UHF over the air antenna to recieve local DTV

broadcasting."

So then I would need another coax cable to my rooftop for the antenna? Is the antenna connected to the sat dish or something totally seperate? also, can`t I just get local programming through DirecTv like I do now? If not what kind of antenna is it? thank you

·
Registered
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cissado:
"Then you have to install a UHF over the air antenna to receive local DTV

broadcasting."

So then I would need another coax cable to my rooftop for the antenna?
Yes OR you can get a diplexer which can combine two signals onto one wire. Then another diplexer at the other end of the wire will split the two signals out again. Most people have done this successfully, but I have heard on people having problems. Obviously, if you run another wire you will not have any problems, but it might be worth a try if running a new line would be difficult.
Quote:
Is the antenna connected to the sat dish or something totally separate?
The antenna wire runs into the DirecTV receiver.
Quote:
also, cant I just get local programming through DirecTv like I do now?
DirecTV does not send the HD signal for local stations.
Quote:
If not what kind of antenna is it?
Any standard UHF antenna that is good in your area. Most HD signal are in the UHF spectrum though there are some exception. You can check with your local stations to verify.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by JoeCraw (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Robinson,

He has a current directv sattelite not a dish network. The dishnetwork has to have 2 seperate sattelites to get hd but with the directv you only need 1 which is the ecliptical 18x24' oval dish.

Cissado,

The new directv-plus dish will have it's own multiswitch that comes with the dish. If you only have one coax lead going to the house then you can do 2 things. Run extra cable for the uhf ant. Or you can purchase an after market multiswitch which is made by EAGLE ASPEN MODEL 4140 5/4.

This combines satellite and uhf in one multiswitch then distributes to 4 sat boxes including the hd box. Then you will need to install diplexers before the sat boxes to split sat signals and uhf signals. I would also suggest to visit this sites : www.titantv.com or www.antennaweb.org

By placing your current address it will show you where the broadcasting towers are located, where to point the uhf antenna and also gives you some antenna recommendations.

I would also recommend to purchase or look at the Channel Master uhf antennas.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
119 Posts
also, if you watch lots of DVD's, you may want to consider an upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player, which performs to its fullest on an HDTV set... with the right inputs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Bsaitz,

I guess you went ahead and bought all your new toys!

Congrats! Us boys with our toys hehehehe. Expensive but worthit.

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.