AVS Forum banner

6761 - 6780 of 6804 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Within the next week or so, I'll be installing some Monitor Audio SoundFrame SF2 3-way on-wall "art speakers" for our multi-use open concept living room system. This is also a demo system for my custom integration company. They'll be flanking a "framed" 65" Samsung the Frame TV, and they'll be tied into Control4 and Roon, powered by a NAD CI720 amp. I like that you can aim the concentric midrange/tweeter assembly to adjust the imaging, and that it's a proper 3-way design!

* this is not my picture, I'll post pics after the install

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I sure hope you don’t hang the center speaker that low!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I sure hope you don’t hang the center speaker that low!
Haha, yeah I have a hard time understanding that particular placement!!

Reactions: RickD1225

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Vizio P65 C1

Nvidia Shield Pro

Denon AVR-X2200W

Klipsch VF35 LR

Klipsch VC 25 C

BIC DV62 Si Surrounds

BIC PL200 sub View attachment 3109641

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
View attachment 3109645
Nice, but do yourself a huge favour, and pull that centre channel so that it's flush with the face of the cabinet. Where it is now, you're getting a lot of sound reflections off the top of it - that will cause intelligibility issues, and muddy the sound coming from that speaker. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My setup is
TV - Sony 65 inch 4k XBR 65
Receiver - Yamaha V685
HTPC with 3800x and 2080ti and 4k Amazon Fire TV stick
Front - Yamaha AX200 XT
Center - Polk CS20
Surrounds - Polk Monitor 50
Sub - Klipsch SPL 120
Nice to see what everyone else has. I have been considering upgrading the fronts to start to swing them to surrounds to move the polks as surround rears.

Reactions: Spawn101

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings from Colorado, I'm RayD8R.

New Sam 8k series 55" 4k
New Onkyo TS-XR393 5.2
New Jamo S803 5.0; 2X S803, 2X S801, + S81C
New Elac SUB-1010
Used from previous system Onkyo 8" self powered down firing sub, soon to be replaced (maybe).

I'm looking to add 2 towers for my fronts, juggling between Jamos S809 (or S807, possibly even S805s only because they match my current 5.0 system which I'm happy with and because if funds allow, I'd like to add the Atmos heights, put my S803s as the surrounds {possibly with another pair of Atmos heights?}), Klipsch R-610F, Dayton Audio T652 (AIR?), BIC America Venturi DV64, or something comparable. I'm looking at other options because the Jamos just took a HUGE price jump. I found a set for just under $400 but it's a single pair on a common site and I don't know if they will still be there tomorrow. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome, however please keep in mind my budget is low, $400 MAX and I'm not what most would probably consider a true "audiophile" but I've been listening to music all my life, I'm almost 50 and I enjoy good sound over sheer volume. I'm a basshead, I enjoy almost the full rock spectrum, most EDM/EBM, Reggae, etc. Lots of stoner rock, fuzz, doom metal, etc. Anything with heavy bass, good bpm, rhythm, melody, flow..., a bit of rap/hip hop if it's not too stupid, etc etc, yada yada. I'm also going to be replacing the old Onkyo subwoofer on the lower sub out connection and not sure how that works or what I should get. I don't seem to hear much coming from that sub the way I have it now, but it was my only sub with my previous system; Onkyo TS-XR353 + retail Onkyo 5.1 box store system hand me down and it pounded pretty good so I am not entirely sure what the deal is with it now, it hasn;t suffered any possible damage through the swap/upgrade process? If I do figure out how to get more out of that subwoofer channel I'm considering either another 8" or 12" (one size up or down from my 10" elac) or matching with another 10" elac if I should be convinced that having different size subwoofers isn't a good idea? I'm only going that route because I feel that it would give more of a diverse sound spectrum to the system as a whole, but that's just my sense of thought and I realize I can be off. I'm 90% music oriented, I only have a TV for certain occasions; kick a$$ movie or show, company, and because I felt like a weirdo when I didn't have one and people would ask me why lol. And I do know that most music tracks aren't recorded or mastered for surround but I haven't heard any that sound bad however I do usually switch to "stereo" mode on the receiver when I'm just jamming tunes.

So to sum up my queries for advice;
1. Suggestions for $250 to $400 towers considering my Jamo 5.0?
2. Can I have front and rear Atmos?
3. Can I get more from my lower/2nd subwoofer channel?
4. Am I better off with different size subwoofers, or should they match?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
So to sum up my queries for advice;
1. Suggestions for $250 to $400 towers considering my Jamo 5.0? Airmotiv T-Zero+ Pair Floorstanding Tower Loudspeakers
2. Can I have front and rear Atmos? No, that AVR can only process a 5.2 setup.
3. Can I get more from my lower/2nd subwoofer channel? Yes. It would even out the bass throughout your room. A second identical sub would be best.
4. Am I better off with different size subwoofers, or should they match? See above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the response, info, and link. I like the specs on those towers and I like my Elac subwoofer so that makes things easier and not needing 2 pairs of Atmos speakers definitely saves money for the towers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My setup is a few years old:

Speakers:
  • DRIVERS:
    • 2 X PMC DB1i
  • CENTER CHANNEL:
    • PMC DB1MCi Center Speaker
  • SURROUND:
    • 2 x PMC Wafer 1
  • SUB:
    • Velodyne -Digital Drive Series DD10 BG 10"

Pre-processor:
  • Parasound A51 Amplifier
  • Parasound A21 Amplifier
  • Parasound C1 Controller

Projector:
  • SIM2 Grand Cinema 1080P

Screen:
  • Screen Innovations - 7 Series Black Diamond 92" Fixed Projector Screen

All speakers are hidden except the surround speakers.
We are getting new furniture hence why it's empty.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My setup is a few years old:

Speakers:
  • DRIVERS:
    • 2 X PMC DB1i
  • CENTER CHANNEL:
    • PMC DB1MCi Center Speaker
  • SURROUND:
    • 2 x PMC Wafer 1
  • SUB:
    • Velodyne -Digital Drive Series DD10 BG 10"

Pre-processor:
  • Parasound A51 Amplifier
  • Parasound A21 Amplifier
  • Parasound C1 Controller

Projector:
  • SIM2 Grand Cinema 1080P

Screen:
  • Screen Innovations - 7 Series Black Diamond 92" Fixed Projector Screen

All speakers are hidden except the surround speakers.
We are getting new furniture hence why it's empty.

View attachment 3112076 View attachment 3112077 View attachment 3112079
View attachment 3112080 View attachment 3112081
I love seeing builds like this! Very elegant, simply gorgeous! You'll have to post some more photos when the new furniture is in.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So here's my low"er"/ mid-budget build. As of right now, a number of pieces are being reused or repurposed from my prior system that I used for over two decades. A number of my "new" components were purchased used on the local classifieds or as "clearance" or "sale" items. As my system evolves, I hope to update these items as well.

This is a large basement area that was "finished" when we purchased the home. This led to some creative thinking to make the vision come to life. We consider it an entertainment room more than a home theater. Everything done to the room to this point (paint, building materials, all furniture and electronics) has cost well below the $10k mark. All labor has been preformed by myself and family.

I'm extremely happy with the way everything has come out and hope that it shows that you don't have to be ultra rich to have, what I feel, is an extremely nice and fantastic sounding area.

Display:
Samsung Q6 82inch (Black Friday sale)
Sony UBP800 4K Blu Ray player (also used as CD player, Black Friday sale)

AVR and "amplifier":
Denon AVR4500h (Black Friday sale)
Onkyo TX DS898 (my old AVR repurposed as amp to power 6 surround channels)

Speakers:
Chane ARX A5rx towers (purchased used)
Chane ARX A2rx-c center (purchased used)
Chane A4.5 front heights (just released, purchased new)
Polk FXi500 bi/dipole surrounds (from my previous system)
Polk RTi 25 rear surrounds (from my previous system)
JBL C61 in-ceiling rear Atmos Speakers (Found on classifieds but new condition)
2x SVS PB 2000 subwoofers (one came as part of the package deal with the Chane Speakers, other was purchased during SVS clearance sale)
Polk PSW450 subwoofer (from previous system, used mid-room, reverse phase to reinforce surrounds)

The center speaker is off in the picture above, but has been fixed. I installed the front heights over the weekend and didn't notice that I had not recentered it until after I took the photo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That room looks very nice. I wish I had a nice basement theater/pool room but my house is on a crawlspace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So here's my low"er"/ mid-budget build. As of right now, a number of pieces are being reused or repurposed from my prior system that I used for over two decades. A number of my "new" components were purchased used on the local classifieds or as "clearance" or "sale" items. As my system evolves, I hope to update these items as well.

This is a large basement area that was "finished" when we purchased the home. This led to some creative thinking to make the vision come to life. We consider it an entertainment room more than a home theater. Everything done to the room to this point (paint, building materials, all furniture and electronics) has cost well below the $10k mark. All labor has been preformed by myself and family.

I'm extremely happy with the way everything has come out and hope that it shows that you don't have to be ultra rich to have, what I feel, is an extremely nice and fantastic sounding area.

Display:
Samsung Q6 82inch (Black Friday sale)
Sony UBP800 4K Blu Ray player (also used as CD player, Black Friday sale)

AVR and "amplifier":
Denon AVR4500h (Black Friday sale)
Onkyo TX DS898 (my old AVR repurposed as amp to power 6 surround channels)

Speakers:
Chane ARX A5rx towers (purchased used)
Chane ARX A2rx-c center (purchased used)
Chane A4.5 front heights (just released, purchased new)
Polk FXi500 bi/dipole surrounds (from my previous system)
Polk RTi 25 rear surrounds (from my previous system)
JBL C61 in-ceiling rear Atmos Speakers (Found on classifieds but new condition)
2x SVS PB 2000 subwoofers (one came as part of the package deal with the Chane Speakers, other was purchased during SVS clearance sale)
Polk PSW450 subwoofer (from previous system, used mid-room, reverse phase to reinforce surrounds)

View attachment 3112163 View attachment 3112164 View attachment 3112165 View attachment 3112166

The center speaker is off in the picture above, but has been fixed. I installed the front heights over the weekend and didn't notice that I had not recentered it until after I took the photo.
Very nice room layout! I like the two-tone wall and the pool table is a great addition to the space. I also like where you placed the speakers. (y)

6761 - 6780 of 6804 Posts