AVS Forum banner

6781 - 6800 of 6804 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very nice room layout! I like the two-tone wall and the pool table is a great addition to the space. I also like where you placed the speakers. (y)
Thank you very much. Rooms like yours were a huge influence on the work we did. I wanted to build accent panels for below the chair-rail and give it more of a look like you have, but the wife decided against it. My daughter had been experimenting with sponge painting, so we let her do the lower part of the room. There's three different colors down there with a marble type look. It's very nice looking in person, but hard to make out in photos.

I can't wait to see the new furniture in your room!
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
There have been so many requests for people to try to see what other AVSers have, and many who would like to audition speakers, that I started a frappr group for AVS speaker owners....

so please, join and post your setup, so that others can see and maybe one day audition and share experiences in your area:

frappr.com

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is NOT to turn into any debates or brand promoting or flaming wars, or it will be closed ASAP.

This is merely to provide a useful tool for folks to be able to see where others are in case they would like to audition something before buying or to share experiences and/or thoughts
Rti a9's, csi a6 center, Andrew Jones bookahelf's and two 140 watt subs with vsx-31 and crown cts 4200.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Reactions: Briansmachine

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Within the next week or so, I'll be installing some Monitor Audio SoundFrame SF2 3-way on-wall "art speakers" for our multi-use open concept living room system. This is also a demo system for my custom integration company. They'll be flanking a "framed" 65" Samsung the Frame TV, and they'll be tied into Control4 and Roon, powered by a NAD CI720 amp. I like that you can aim the concentric midrange/tweeter assembly to adjust the imaging, and that it's a proper 3-way design!

* this is not my picture, I'll post pics after the install

Did you ever get these installed? I keep seeing people wanting speakers like these for the WAF approval and I'm wondering how good they are in pracrtice.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Did you ever get these installed? I keep seeing people wanting speakers like these for the WAF approval and I'm wondering how good they are in pracrtice.
Well, I don't have them installed in their final location yet. It requires fishing some wires and a bunch of messing around.

I do currently have them set up in my desktop sytem. They sound pretty good out of the box, and significantly better after taking a series of measurements and running Roon Convolution filters.

Long story short, the Monitor Audio SF2's are not going to cut it for the main "Great Room" system, but I'm going to install them in the dining area for dinner music / entertaining.

To get more technical: I have them EQ'd to a preference curve boosing the lows significantly (compared to how they generally fall off below 80Hz) then high passing them aggressively at 35Hz @30dB/octave which works great playing them at low volumes (and because of their sealed design), but it falls apart when I push the volume. They'll be fantastic for the dining/kitchen area, and they won't need a sub at the volumes I'll be playing them at (with the boosted low end).

For the main "great room" system, I'm going to step it up to something with a similar concept (Art Speakers), but much larger, and capable of serious SPLs. I'll be pairing them (and crossing them over to) a pair of dual 10" in-wall subs. It'll be a strictly 2 channel system for casual TV/Sports/Movies and Music. Call it a seriously high performance "lifestyle" system. I might try to do a pair of the JL Fathom 13" in-wall subs instead, but I'm having a hard time getting dealer access to the JL line as they're kind of "protected" in my area, and my company is fairly new.

Artcoustic SL 12-6

James QX 1020a (x2)

Edit: Having said all that, I think most sane people would be blown away by the performance of the Monitor Audio SoundFrames (even in a main system). Just keep in mind that compared to something similarly priced (say a pair of KEF LS50), you're leaving some performance on the table to get that on-wall, hidden wires, art speaker aesthetic. It's definitely nice to have that option though.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sorry, I just have to ask... you're not really using 2 pairs of main speakers and 2 center channel speakers at the same time are you?
At times I do when I really want to get loud. Most of the time I just use the ST-L towers. As far as the center’s it depends on what I’m listening too.

·
Registered
899 Posts
At times I do when I really want to get loud. Most of the time I just use the ST-L towers. As far as the center’s it depends on what I’m listening too.
You may have heard this before, but you might want to look into something called comb filtering. You're generally going to get significantly worse sound quality by having two speakers reproducing the exact same signal. You generally end up with big peaks and nulls in the frequency response. Also, the drivers from the two different speakers are at different distances to your ear which causes issues as well.

You'd be far better off purchasing a single center channel and a single set of towers with higher efficiency if you're looking to play louder (and maintain the highest possible sound quality).

·
Registered
901 Posts
You may have heard this before, but you might want to look into something called comb filtering. You're generally going to get significantly worse sound quality by having two speakers reproducing the exact same signal. You generally end up with big peaks and nulls in the frequency response. Also, the drivers from the two different speakers are at different distances to your ear which causes issues as well.

You'd be far better off purchasing a single center channel and a single set of towers with higher efficiency if you're looking to play louder (and maintain the highest possible sound quality).
That’s true but only in some situations. I would have thought the same thing. The times we’re looking to just be crazy loud and just have big fun sound quality goes out the window. The towers actually compliment each other. Def Tech tamed the ST-L highs compared to the ST. Depending on the music genre dictates which pair I run. They both have their own identical power amps. I really had the ST towers setup to demo for a friend that wanted to buy them. His money situation changed so he had to pass up on the deal. I never took them back down. The centers I use to have going the same time. I disconnected the one on the floor. It’s just a spare now. There were times I’d get cancellation effects and phasing problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey. Not new the the forum but not been on here for years and forgot username. Anyways...

I have Elac Debute 2 Center and D6 bookshelfvs in the 7.2.4 home theatre and pair of Elac UB5's in the lounge.

Honestly i not happy with either pair of Elac's. Find them dull and missing in the midrange and they and not good without a subwoofer. Only reason I bought them was I sold all my audio gear before moving to the UK to Canada and wanted to try something different. Elac was well reviewed so bought some.

Miss my Monitor Audio BX2's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Polk Audio LSIM707, LSIM706, LSIM702X. Denon x3300w, Parasound P6 Preamplifier, Parasound A21+ amplifier, Teac CD-P650, Sony ubp80ux, SMSL SU-9 DAC, Nvidia Shield Pro, SVS PB2000.
20210406_142436.jpg
20210406_142456.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm mostly a 2-channel music guy but I do enjoy some TV & Movie watching as well.

My setup is pretty simple. McIntosh & Aerial Acoustic make a great combination for music listening.

6781 - 6800 of 6804 Posts