AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to do my research for a multizone stereo audio system with keypads. I have speaker wire and 2 cat5's run to each keypad location.

What brands are available to check out? So far I have

Nuvo

Elan

Russound

Niles

... please add to the list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Crestron but Cat5 isnt supported by Crestron for powering the keypads or touchpanels

·
Registered
181 Posts
What do you mean Crestron isn't supported? As a DIYer? If so the OP didn't say diy audio distribution so crestron should be on there

amx

control 4

breathe audio

sonos (if wireless keypads count)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking for DIY solutions....

home theater direct looks like a very good value compared to the others. I hadn't seen that one yet, thanks!

Another plus is if the device in the harmony remote DB.

any others?

·
Registered
67 Posts
see my edit above

·
Registered
191 Posts
 Audio Request has system for a/v distribution. I don't know much about it though.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
The list will be a mile long.

Russound has 5 options (Sphere, Collage, CAM, CAV, Essentia), Nuvo at least 3.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Don't forget the cost of the source components in the overall price.

I have been shopping for a new distributed audio system for months, myself.

The visible, distributed metadata is the tricky part, IMO. Nuvo GC and Russound CAM/CAV are leading my least.

Don't forget the Speakercraft MODE system. The Niles ICS is pretty slick as well.

Please post your progress.

Edit - of course you wouldn't consider the Collage. I'm most impressed by the Sphere, though the hardware and software are fairly protected - maybe you could buy from an authorized local dealer, and pay him a little extra, you know, 'for the effort'.

Read about Nuvo Music Port for access to networked digital content.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Most distributed systems either focus on digital source material from a server/network/PC, or from components. Until recently, you bought one or the other.

Then, Russound and Nuvo came out with dedicated expensive server components for the rack, but unfortunately outrageously expensive.

Only recently Nuvo came out with the Music Port, to allow direct access to the PC/network (using re-bacged software from Autonomic). I wish Russound would partner with JRMC for something similar.

I'll wait and see over the next few months how the Music Port works out - I'd like to hear from some users how well it does. Some posters at remotecentral.com custom installer's forum reported some initial bugginess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts