Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for non-anamorphic disc

titles. Action Adventure, Sci-Fi, Horror, Haunted Houses, Erotic or Murder Mysteries, World War 2, Space Adventure, Under sea thrillers, fantasies. No Comedies or Romance titles please, won't watch them that much.

Please take a look see for me, my first choice would be Color and Dolby Surround, 2nd would be color and stereo, no 'mono' sound I just can't see it.:) TIA

·
Registered
352 Posts
i am kinda puzzled by this thread, but how 'bout True Lies.

mark

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just watched 2 non-amorphics, only they weren't shown as such; the 2 movies were "Deep Impact" and "Stargate". I did my homework and the fruits are, that I don't have to wait until the disc goes to anamorphic; to see it in the enhanced for widescreen format. I can now watch all the 2.35:1 numbered in the format of a 2.35:1 in the anamorhic size of the disc in any region with the Tosh SD-4800 R1 and the JVC R1-6.

JF your right about The Abyss, you ought to see it now; it is seen as anamorphic not the plain jane format it's in.

If anyone wants to know how I did it, won't you please PM me for the answer(s)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't expect my responders to be blind of what is being done, so I sent each of you 3 a PM explaining how I can now enhance a non-A into a anamorphic. I have to be careful I don't want this thread ending up in DVD hardware.

Please read the individual PM explaining how it works and why I am willing now to buy non-A discs, to be seen as Anamorphic wide screen not; as foolscreen either. :)

P.S. European you don't have a PM box to be mailed an expanation, so if you want one I suggest you get a hold of any of the 3 kind responders; ask them if you can how this process works. If you don't have a way to 'contact' you, your saying HUH will get you nowhere. IMHO :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hob, I see that you have been around here for quite awhile, so I will try to be respectful! From your explanation. I'm assuming that you are simply zooming the LBX image to fit your 16x9 screen, right? I'm sorry, but that is not what anamorphic is all about. For a really helpful article on the subject, I recommend The Digital Bits The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD

I'm not saying that you CAN'T enjoy non-anamorphic transfers, but if you have a digital TV (16x9 in particular) then the difference should be dramatic.

Keep in mind also that some systems do a better job of scaling a non-anamorphic to a 16x9 than others.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gilbert,

What Hob is trying to say (in his usual obtuse way) is that he has a DVD player with a Mediamatics chip (like the JVC progressive scan machines or the Malata N996) which can take non-anamorphic content and scale them vertically to produce a pseudo-anamorphic output which can then be resqueezed by the display to the correct aspect ratio. Note that this is not the same as zooming. The Panasonic RP91 player also does this trick. This is useful for HD displays which lock into full mode when they are fed a progressive signal. For all other displays which provide manual aspect ratio control for progressive signals, it is not a big deal.

Upscaling a non-anamorphic disc is not going to restore the information that was lost to begin with. The beauty of the Mediamatics chip is that its multi-tap scaling filters work very well and 'well-mastered' non anamorphic titles can look quite good after upscaling. However, they will still not offer the detail present in the anamorphic counterpart of the same material.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here are some of my favorites (I specifically upgraded to the Panasonic RP-91 to enhance my enjoyment of them). I'll try to avoid repeating titles already mentioned.

Deer Hunter

Carlito's Way

Albino Alligator

An Affair to Remember

Backdraft

Black Rain

Breakdown

Brokedown Palace

Clear and Present Danger

Crimson Tide

Deep Impact

Dune

the Edge

Event Horizon

the Game

the Graduate

the Great Escape

Great Expectations (1998)

Hard Rain

Heaven's Gate

Hilary and Jackie

Hunt for Red October

Instinct

the King and I (2:55)

Last Emperor

Last Man Standing

Mission Impossible

Patriot Games

Planet of the Apes (all of original films)

Poseiden Adventure

Prophecy

Pushing Tin

Rainmaker

Road Warrior

Rounders

Scarface

Snake Eyes

Stargate

Strange Days

Thelma and Louise

the Thing

Towering Inferno

Wild Bunch

Also, several Criterion edition films are NA. There are also many more that I didn't list that are 1:85. I hope I didn't mis-speak on any of these as I was working from my list.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
srgilbert I am not trying to *fill* the whole 16 X 9 with a anamorphic 1.85:1 image. I am simly stepping it up to still have black bars see my signature for that one.

I am just tired of small not tiny images on my not so big F-38310, I still have a wide screen but no view that fills the entire screen unless it's 1.85:1 ANA

I know what the ratios are usually 1.33:1

foolscreen, 1.85:1 does fill the enelope, 2.35:1 is seen wth normal black bars for anamorphic and tall black bars on top and bottom for 2.35:1 non-anamorphic discs.

Whatever you think I have now I am very satisfied with, the pic is just a bit bigger than a non/A but easier to watch.

I played the Stargate 2.35:1, then I zoomed it up a bit, and it was as great a picture as The Abyss when zoomed up. I was a N.A.U.I. 'instructor' and I know from experience what ocean clarity is or isn't.

This film didn't change in clarity when zoomed up a tad!:)

To the computer user, I have webtv I gave my Dell 800 MHz to my sister and brother in law, when the two of them lost their jobs at once for them to search the internet for jobs. Course I didn't get it back mom stepped in and said it would be good for the children, you can buy your self another one. I still had the WebTV so I said OK, and I'm still on WebTV. To do just that on another computer would be a waste of money all I do is surf, you don't need a puter to do that.:)

Thank you to the responder of the list I have to go over, right on subject except for a few like Clear and Present Danger; which is a enhanced for wide screens which is what I step up a non-A to.:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
...ahh... I begin to see what this is all about (sorry hob, but -with all due respect- sometimes you do have a singularly convoluted way of expressing yourself, which makes it hard for this non native English speaker to follow you!) ... I'm a charter member of the great unwashed peasantry that watches their DVDs (and LDs and -shudder!- VHS tapes) on a 'standard' 4:3 TV, albeit one that includes the 'squeeze' mode (which allows me, by pushing just one button on the remote, to watch anamorphic DVDs in full resolution)...

. . . :eek: . . .

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
All your base are belong to us!!:cool:

Fred I don't have a clue to what was typed honestly, it might be do to a few typos or too much turkey and trimmings. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.