AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I Saw MANY posts that are sayin the Panasonic PT-AE100 Is Like the best Home Cinema Projecotr Around!!!! Everyone has it for some reason!!!

But i checked it out in projectorcentral.com and there the stats dont look that good as the Plus Piano Or The Optoma H55!!!!!!

First Of all the Panasonic Is LCD.. which should be Not as good as DLP (So i was told by every shop i went to), and the Ansi is only 700?? that is very weak in my opinion...

SO PLEASE if some one can explain to me WHY DO EVREYONE think that this projector is so good compare to Other Projectors...

and please tell me once and for all what projector for home cinema should i get for myself... LCD or DLP?

Sorry for sounding so Stupid... But i am :D

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It isn't very good. In fact, almost any projector discussed here or in the 5k+ forum is better.

The reason people like it is that it costs ~$1400 if you buy it imported from Japan. The popular one to buy from is a sponsor of this forum (hint...Japan.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
It isn't very good. In fact, almost any projector discussed here or in the 5k+ forum is better.
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it isn't very good why are you about to buy one?

"But I'm about to order one myself on Monday and I was thinking this through. Even assuming I have to ship it back (which doesn't sound likely) its still a great deal. Plus, the assured no dead pixels is UNHEARD of here. Maybe in Japan, customer satisfaction is more important. Almost all computer companies / monitor manufacturers here won't replace a monitor with "just a few pixels bad."

The AE100 is an awsome home theatre projector for the money. Just be aware that there has been a high failure rate lately.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by coolmo

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

The AE100 is an awsome home theatre projector for the money. Just be aware that there has been a high failure rate lately.
Coolmo,

Cal is more likely than not to be correct. As he points out, the AE100 has an attractive price point and that is what is drawing buyers. If that price was $2,500-$3,500, then I doubt it would be as popular since at that level there are any number of machines that will deliver superior performance.

Even you said the AE100 "is an awsome home theatre projector for the money." No doubt the "money" part of it looms large in one's choice to purchase it.

I will be demoing one tomorrow afternoon just to see for myself what all the buzz is about.

--Jerome

·
Registered
138 Posts
jsaliga, let me know what you think after you demo one. I'm interested in your opinion.

Cal said "It isn't very good" which has to be a false statement. They would not be selling like hot cakes if they were not very good, or even mediocre. Plus, I had one and watched it for 35 hours before it broke and was blown away the whole time I was watching it. For DVD viewing It's hard to beat.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi coolmo,

Saying "it isn't very good" is bound to draw the ire of the Panny's many fans. But all things are relative and it depends upon your point of reference. I have very little doubt that someone who owns a Electrohome Marquee 9500LC 9" CRT or a JVC G-15 D-ILA might look at the AE100 and think it isn't very good. But then it really isn't a fair comparison since both projectors cost many times more than the Panasonic.

The knowledge that there are better projectors out there should not be a source of discomfort for buyers of the AE100. At it's current price point the Panny affords almost anyone an opportunity to get into the front-projected game. I also have very little doubt that many people who bought the AE100 are very happy with their choice--excepting perhaps those who have suffered through equipment failures. Sure, the G15 owner no doubt enjoys a better picture--but he spent several thousand dollars more than the cost of the AE100 to get it.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Coolmo,

If you would take the time to read this, you would see what I am taking about. The gist of the first post is:

"PT-AE100 Is Like the best Home Cinema Projecotr Around!!!! "

This is patently not true. A Honda Civic is a fine car. It is reasonably priced, well-built and sturdy. It isn't the "best" car. This is the same sort of thing. If someone came in to the car dealership and said give me your best car, the salesman would be wrong if he pointed them to the Civic.

Compared to most anything else talked about here, it is not impressive. It is comparable in resolution to a 4:3 SVGA projector whereas most everything here is XGA. The lumens are also fairly low. That isn't to say it is bad compared to a normal TV. Even a widescreen VGA device looks nicer than any big screen interlaced.

It isn't bad. I plan on getting one and consider myself logical and a reasonable buyer.

What makes it attractive is the very low price in comparison to everything. While its a great deal, no one can say that it is top of the line. It is simply a great deal in a sea of tons expensive devices. It happens to be about the only thing I can afford for the forseeable future, so it works well for me.

Also, that low failure rate quote is totally unsubstantiated. A ridicliously uncontrolled poll on a specialized forum isn't proof of anything. Especially since ********** is able to guarantee no bad pixels, the failure rate would have to be LOWER than average for them to not be taking a bath on these.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That " no bad pixel" policy is only for the first 30 days. Most pixels get stuck after that time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would suggest you do a search on this forum if you are interested in find out the details on the AE100. Saying “the best Home Cinema Projector Around†is a fight instigating statement if ever there was one. There are limitations with every projector and a balance between price and performance. Results also depend on your skill at tweaking and to what level you are willing to go to achieve the best performance that the projector is capable of giving you. If you cannot see one in person due to one not available, you must rely on reviews and weigh the reviewer’s credibility. As for myself, I happen to greatly respect and trust the reviews of Li On who has found the AE 100 to be worthy as his projector at the moment. Even after owning projectors that cost 10’s of thousands of dollars this one is being used at this house right now. This says to me that with the right knowledge and determination you can get a very good picture with the AE100. It may not be the “best†but it is exceptional for what it costs.

·
Registered
726 Posts
"I saw MANY posts that are sayin the Panasonic PT-AE100 is like the best Home Cinema projector around!!!! Everyone has it for some reason!!!"

A lot of people have it because of the affordability, not necessarily because it is the "best".

The biggest upside is the low price for a widescreen projector, I don't think there are very many, if any, widescreen displays of any kind at this price point. The biggest downside is that it doesn't have as much resolution, and there are "screen door" limitations as well.

It _IS_ a great deal for the money, as others said "for the money" is the operative phrase. It is a reasonably solid looking unit and is probably the cheapest one you can get that can still display all the resolution of a 480 line widescreen picture.

And before people get into a huff and read stuff into my post that I didn't put there, by "cheap" and "affordable", I don't mean junk, OK?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The AE100 is quite simply the cheapest 16:9 projector currently available. If you want 4:3 you have hundreds to choose from. 16:9 you have a handfull.

Recommend that you stop analyzing specs on projector central and spend some eyeball time with some projectors. Then you can get a clearly understanding of what looks good to you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy-Shadow
Hi... I Saw MANY posts that are sayin the Panasonic PT-AE100 Is Like the best Home Cinema Projecotr Around!!!! Everyone has it for some reason!!! .....
Mcdonald's sells millions of burgers everyday; and many of the people we know have probably eaten at McDs at one time or another. Does that mean that McD burgers are the best?

The majority of market product sales (any product) are to the masses who gravitate to mid and low-level products. This market produces goods that are "good enough" for most, but are hardly considered high end. This market wants good performance for low prices. They want a good "bang-for-the-buck".

So people, like me, will see a projector like the AE-100, or the 75U (which I use, and to which I have compared the AE-100 and prefer over the AE-100)and see that, yes, there are flaws to the picture it projects. But those flaws are also accompanied by a price of around $1500.00 or so. And for $1500.00 the flawed picture quality still allows you to have an enjoyable movie-watching experience. You say to yourself, "For $1500.00, I can live with it".

So if you're real hungry, and you can't quite afford a $10.00 restauraunt burger that will meet all of your expectations for flavor, perhaps you can "make do" with a Big Mac.:D

Dave

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thaxx
That " no bad pixel" policy is only for the first 30 days. Most pixels get stuck after that time.
Where do you get that? I work right now as a computer tech with both projectors and LCD panels. I've seen plenty of dead pixels (and tried to get the manufacturer to replace) but they always come like that out of the box. They are a defect in the manufacturing, as a failure afterwards usually renders the whole panel worthless (since no one repairs them, just replaces.) I've yet to see one "develop" as you say.

And as for everyone that seems to be arguing...you guys seem to be missing the point. No one really after the first post and coolmo has said anything negative. I _like_ the damn thing. I'm buying one. I just am not illusioned that I am buying something top of the line.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bugg
So if you're real hungry, and you can't quite afford a $10.00 restauraunt burger that will meet all of your expectations for flavor, perhaps you can "make do" with a Big Mac.:D

Dave
I prefer to think of the AE100 as your local flame broiled "hamburger joint" projector. It's no more expensive than a big mac and tastes many times better as it's made out of real meat.

Hamburgers aside, I demo'ed 7-8 projectors in person and 3 in my home prior to purchase. I paid $2300US for it legitimately purchased in Canada and found great value and performance with the AE100 for my dollar. There were many projector's that I demo'ed in home that were twice the price and yet I liked the AE100's picture more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO
I prefer to think of the AE100 as your local flame broiled "hamburger joint" projector. It's no more expensive than a big mac and tastes many times better as it's made out of real meat. .....
LOL!!! That's probably a closer analogy..... which makes you wonder why in the world anybody goes to Mcdonalds. And I absolutely concur with your experience and observations when checking out PJs--- I went through the same thing. There was NO way that I was going to spend two to four times the cost of the 75U and come up with only a small percentage of improvement, even if there were noticeable improvements to the picture with the higher priced PJs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The way I see it, I could have bought a nice 36" TV, but with the same money, I bought a device that lets me get a taste of what real Home Theater is all about. The picture is good enough that you can still "wow" your friends, and makes movie-watching (and sports, TV shows, and Xbox) a more immersive and fun experience.

And isn't that what this is all about? FUN!!!! ...(on a budget ;) )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.