AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Need your expert opinions on a good 3 ft. 2 channel RCA interconnect cable for my Oppo BDP-83 for listening to 2 channel stereo CD's. Thank you for your help. Budget is $100-$150 (Used Market)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Every bit as good, with the possible exception that pricey cables might (emphasize might) be sturdier over the long term than the cheapos from Monoprice. Since you've got the dough, go with Blue Jeans—very well constructed, but costing no more than they have to cost.

·
Registered
21,386 Posts
Cost does not equate to performance.

I would only be overly concerned about "construction quality" if I were moving cables around every week.

Save your money. Use what's leftover for a golf cart or the 19th hole.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
These responses are all right on the money. The high priced stuff is usually just dressed up (repackaged0 wire from a standard cable manufacturer. The big companies with unlimited budgets and million dollar gear don't use the mega buck cable.

Actually you can get perfectly fine cables from Radio Shack, Lowe's or HD as well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Guess I will try Monoprice since they are the video cables I am using and have had pretty good luck with them so far, only 1 bad one. Have a great evening everyone.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/20863226

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Guess I will try Monoprice since they are the video cables I am using and have had pretty good luck with them so far, only 1 bad one. Have a great evening everyone.

I use Blue Jeans' digital coax for both analog and digital (S/PDIF). For 3' analog you need two, say black and red, but Blue Jean carries the Belden 1694A RG-6 in a lot of different colors. These cables include the Canare RCAP male RCA connectors which are as good as it gets for RCA connectors, don't have a death grip that makes removal difficult, way superior to the RCA connectors that Monoprice uses, and for tight 5.1 spacing the orange rubber thingies can be pulled to the center of the cable. Two 3' cables total $32 at http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

Blue Jean also cuts to nearest foot (returnable) or nearest 6" (non-returnable), whereas with Monoprice my memory is length choices are much more limited.

A discount parts place like markertek charges roughly $18 for 4 Canare RCAP RCA connectors, so the charge for the superior RG-6 cable isn't that much.

In direct comparison (listening, connecting and disconnecting) to Audioquest Sidewinder my vote easily goes to the above Blue Jean cables.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/20864373

I use Blue Jeans' digital coax for both analog and digital (S/PDIF). For 3' analog you need two, say black and red, but Blue Jean carries the Belden 1694A RG-6 in a lot of different colors. These cables include the Canare RCAP male RCA connectors which are as good as it gets for RCA connectors, don't have a death grip that makes removal difficult, way superior to the RCA connectors that Monoprice uses, and for tight 5.1 spacing the orange rubber thingies can be pulled to the center of the cable. Two 3' cables total $32 at http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

Blue Jean also cuts to nearest foot (returnable) or nearest 6" (non-returnable), whereas with Monoprice my memory is length choices are much more limited.

A discount parts place like markertek charges roughly $18 for 4 Canare RCAP RCA connectors, so the charge for the superior RG-6 cable isn't that much.

In direct comparison (listening, connecting and disconnecting) to Audioquest Sidewinder my vote easily goes to the above Blue Jean cables.

Thanks so much OtherSongs, that information is great to know. For $32 bucks I don't see how I could go wrong. Will order them today. Thanks again and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/20865361

Thanks so much OtherSongs, that information is great to know. For $32 bucks I don't see how I could go wrong. Will order them today. Thanks again and have a great day.

FWIW there was a crowd that included golfugh hifisponge and others, not sure if you were part of that.

Anyhow, I see hifisponge is active on AVS.
He was one of the few to buy the Canare tools ($100+?) in order to make his own RCA cables with the excellent Canare RCAP RCA plugs. He never posted about it all that much but he provided info to me on it in one of his few posts on it a few years ago. I never did find out what cable he used, but got the impression it was a stranded center whereas I prefer the solid center RG-6 that Blue Jean offers with their digital coax cables.

BTW, making your own cables with Canare RCAP RCA plugs is tedious and you have to make a lot of cables to break even; 20/20 hindsight convinces me it's better to buy from Blue Jean.

FWIW I see that a 1 meter pair of A.Q. Sidewinder interconnects will set you back $64.75 at http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...riation=1PRCRC

I dislike the Sidewinder cables mainly because the plugs are hard to grip and also have a death grip, and that combo is deadly when it comes to changing the cables, which I do with some frequency. The fact that the digital RG-6 cables from B.J. cost less and sound slightly better for both analog and digital is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/20867204

FWIW there was a crowd that included golfugh hifisponge and others, not sure if you were part of that.

Anyhow, I see hifisponge is active on AVS.
He was one of the few to buy the Canare tools ($100+?) in order to make his own RCA cables with the excellent Canare RCAP RCA plugs. He never posted about it all that much but he provided info to me on it in one of his few posts on it a few years ago. I never did find out what cable he used, but got the impression it was a stranded center whereas I prefer the solid center RG-6 that Blue Jean offers with their digital coax cables.

BTW, making your own cables with Canare RCAP RCA plugs is tedious and you have to make a lot of cables to break even; 20/20 hindsight convinces me it's better to buy from Blue Jean.

FWIW I see that a 1 meter pair of A.Q. Sidewinder interconnects will set you back $64.75 at http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...riation=1PRCRC

I dislike the Sidewinder cables mainly because the plugs are hard to grip and also have a death grip, and that combo is deadly when it comes to changing the cables, which I do with some frequency. The fact that the digital RG-6 cables from B.J. cost less and sound slightly better for both analog and digital is icing on the cake.

Thanks again OtherSongs. No I wasn't part of that group but sounds like a good group to obtain some great information which I am always looking for pertaining to my HT setup. Keep the info coming, I love it, thanks a million.

·
Registered
21,386 Posts
FWIW...

Audio cables using RG59 coax is just as good as RG6 at a 3' length. You can do as like, but IMO, save your money. Your choice... $32 or $3

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I'd vote three dollars. That's what I did. I have my Oppo BDP-83 two channel analogs feeding my headphone amp. I splurged and bought the 6 ft. $3.45! I think shipping was almost as much as the cable, so around 7 bucks! Sounds wonderful.

Or try these 3 ft interconnects, only 15,900 bucks. Vacuum jacketed polished gold conductors!!

http://taralabs.com/shop?page=shop.p...category_id=17

To quote "....The qualities of reverberation and ambient retrieval are simply astonishing..."

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your replies to my post. I get the picture now on high priced cables. I thought that before I entered my post but just wanted to confirm with the AVS Gurus before purchasing. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/20869528

Thanks everyone for your replies to my post. I get the picture now on high priced cables. I thought that before I entered my post but just wanted to confirm with the AVS Gurus before purchasing. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Try Signal Cable

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt /forum/post/20869528

You're very polite, which is likely the best approach when you start a thread, for getting potentially useful ideas/input(s).

My best guess is odds are that neither glangford nor Ratman has any interconnects with Canare RCAP RCA connectors.

If this is true I'm disappointed with both of them given their focus of lowest cost ($3) somehow being "better", especially with glangford who has impressed me with his posting in the ongoing 2 Channel Audio headphone thread.

Given your OP requirement of "Budget is $100-$150 (Used Market)" you owe it to yourself to get the cables I suggested, and then start doing your own use/comparison.

Out of honest curiosity, what is the most expensive 1m to 1.5m stereo analog interconnect that you own? For me it is a 1.5m pair of Audioquest Sidewinder interconnects at something like $85 (didn't check, so it could be a bit more/less).

If you do in fact get 2 of the Blue Jean digital interconnects, for a stereo analog pair, please be so kind and followup what your experience is with them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,386 Posts
Here we go...

Be as disappointed as you like. Your odds are correct for me. I would never buy into that BS.

Never said "better". Said cost effective for the usage. $3 (RG59) vs. $32 (RG6) @ 3'.

Just because someone has a budget, doesn't mean that have to spend it entirely on a cable.

Expensive cables/wires doesn't make a system sound better.

I'd be very sure that the OP wouldn't "hear" any difference between the two.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
To point out, I was consistent in both threads, going the budget route. Yes the headphone cable is a nice custom made cable, it was cheaper than the standard machine production available.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts