AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a discrete sound card, Creative ZxR - 24bit/96khz, and I was hoping to get the best of it by picking a good set of speakers, actually trying make a 2.1 or maybe even a 5.1 system later depending of which I go for, but all parts will be bought not altogether but rather one at a time if more bass is needed and help diminish the workload on the speakers itself for a clearer audio, correct me if I'm wrong please.

So the options I got here are:

Pioneer sp-bs22 (passive bookshelf speaker) & 8mk2 (active subwoofer) - it a part of a 5.1 set
Behringer MS40 (active nearfield multimedia speaker - s/pdif connection 24bit/192khz) & OSD Audio SP-88 (dual - 8') or SP-12 (single 12') (both active subwoofer - no s/pdif connection)
Yamaha HS8 (active nearfield monitor speaker) & HS8s (active 8' subwoofer)

Other things to consider is that I don't have an external audio interface, no receiver and It's rather a small room(10ftx13ft - 3mx4m) with no acoustic treatment.

Obviously the Yamaha set is the most expensive one, but all I want is to listen to music and that's all, movies and games are not my top priorities, so maybe picking this one would be a little over the top? And also I'm planning to go for audio technica ath-m70x for a better experience.

So could you guys give some advice or any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those guitar centers I got nearby (well I'm not in US), none got the model I'm looking for but I did narrow down to these 2 models.

Yamaha HS8/HS8s (monitor & subwoofer)

and

Roland Cube Monitor CM-220 (2.1 multipurpose set)

The thing is I got some info on HS series, reviews and such, but close to none on those Cube Monitors.

Could someone please say something about those Cube Monitors or HS8 for listening purposes, coz due to lack shops with those monitors nearby I'm relying on internet reviews and opinions, so any help is really welcomed here.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I would skip a sub for the time being, and focus on getting a better set of active speakers. Also for future reference, you don't need to match the sub to the speakers, the only speakers that should match are the front L, R, and center.

You have a couple avenues you are looking at, the Pioneer speakers would require some sort of amp, whereas the active speakers would not. If you stick with a passive bookshelf, you could go with a compact T-amp to power them. Being that these are in nearfield, you only need a small handful of watts to hit very high dB levels. On the low end is the Lepai 2020, beyond that look at SMSL and Topping.

If you stick with powered speakers, you won't need an amp, but it would be good to have some sort of physical volume control as the speaker trim levels are usually on the back.

I would recommend going with the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s, and a Schiit SYS preamp. The Airmotivs have a very good ribbon tweeter which many people prefer for music. It has lower vertical dispersion, so you will get less reflections off the desk, compared to a dome tweeter. The SYS is a passive volume control, and would go inbetween the sound card and speakers. This lets you keep your source volume at 100%, and can adjust the level of the speakers.

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s
http://schiit.com/products/sys

Save up for a good sub and add one at a later date, something like the SVS SB-1000 would be a better choice, and it has a 85Hz high-pass filter, which means it will filter out the low frequencies from the speakers, and reduce distortion/increase headroom.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I would recommend going with the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s, and a Schiit SYS preamp. The Airmotivs have a very good ribbon tweeter which many people prefer for music. It has lower vertical dispersion, so you will get less reflections off the desk, compared to a dome tweeter. The SYS is a passive volume control, and would go inbetween the sound card and speakers. This lets you keep your source volume at 100%, and can adjust the level of the speakers.

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s
http://schiit.com/products/sys
I'm interested in these as they are $279/pair right now (but out of stock).

I also wonder how they compare to the ADAM Audio F5. They are front ported and may be easier to place closer to a wall on a computer desk. But they are $500/pair.

How much distance is recommended from the wall for the Emotivas?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I'm interested in these as they are $279/pair right now (but out of stock).

I also wonder how they compare to the ADAM Audio F5. They are front ported and may be easier to place closer to a wall on a computer desk. But they are $500/pair.

How much distance is recommended from the wall for the Emotivas?
I think if you can keep 3-6" behind the speakers, they won't have any issue. The front-ported Adams eliminate that issue, but I don't think you would run into any problems.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Thanks. Seems like quite a deal to get a 5" desktop speaker that plays into the low 50's and has a folded ribbon tweeter and 2 amps in each speaker for that price. I would just run them straight from my sound card.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Thanks. Seems like quite a deal to get a 5" desktop speaker that plays into the low 50's and has a folded ribbon tweeter and 2 amps in each speaker for that price. I would just run them straight from my sound card.
Emotiva offers a lot of value, if you were to buy something like that in Guitar Center, it would likely be closer to $500.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The Airmotiv 5 didn't have much presence. They felt very small and restrained.
I just found this. Not a very encouraging comment. I want to say bad placement, but who knows.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I just found this. Not a very encouraging comment. I want to say bad placement, but who knows.
I'm sure you can find a bad comment about anything, I am pretty sure Emotiva has a risk free trial so you could give them a try.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
This user does raise a logical point.

Late to the party here. Powered monitors almost always use cheaper drivers than passive speakers in order to offset the added cost of integrated amps/dacs. If I was on time to the party I would have recommended buying a decent used amp and stashing it under the desk. Use an Emotiva Control Freak for volume control. Pretty slick for a desk. Some burn in and your DAC in the chain will hopefully change your initial impression. I was shopping for a budget DAC earlier this year and settled on a Schiit Modi, no regrets.
However, I haven't read anything negative about the Airmotiv 5s other than the comment I quoted above. Most reviewers praise them. Plus, nearly all of the good passive bookshelf/desktop speakers plus an amp would run nearly twice as much as these. So sure, you can do better with passive speakers and an amp. But you aren't going to be able to do it for anywhere near $279.

I ordered a pair from HiFi Heaven, the only place I could find them online. I expect them to be different than what I've heard before. Hopefully I will give them a positive review.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
This user does raise a logical point.

However, I haven't read anything negative about the Airmotiv 5s other than the comment I quoted above. Most reviewers praise them. Plus, nearly all of the good passive bookshelf/desktop speakers plus an amp would run nearly twice as much as these. So sure, you can do better with passive speakers and an amp. But you aren't going to be able to do it for anywhere near $279.

I ordered a pair from HiFi Heaven, the only place I could find them online. I expect them to be different than what I've heard before. Hopefully I will give them a positive review.
I look forward to your impressions.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I had my Airmotiv 5's about 12" from a back wall. That is where the response was the most even for me. Experiment with the placement from the back wall but plan on around 6" to 8" clearance. Personally, I don't think they can be beat for $280. Sure, there are probably better active monitors out there but at 3 to 4 times the cost. I would probably compare the 5s to the Adam A5x, which I had the opportunity to try out before settling on the Airmotiv 5.

I now have Emotiva Stealth 6 for my main PC system and use the Airmotiv 5 occasionally at gaming sessions/LAN parties.

I'm using an Emotiva DC-1 DAC but connecting them directly to the Creative sound card should be fine. I had them connected to on-board RealTek sound and they were fine. I got the DC-1 so I could connect a tape deck or turntable to my setup along with a sub-woofer.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The Airmotiv 5s just came in. I had some trouble with humming and popping at first, until I found out I have a bad RCA cable. I'll add a new one to my next order, and in the mean time it seems this one will work fine if I don't bump it from its current position.

I thought I might need a new sound card, but I was able to get my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude working in Windows 10 with the following drivers:

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=741367

It will take me a while to get a feel for the sound of the speakers, their positioning, their settings, etc. Kudos to HiFi Heaven for fast shipping and WELL packed speakers.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bright blue LEDs. I'll probably want to black them out, but I'll give them some time to shine.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s
AOC Q2770PQU

Loudspeaker Computer monitor Output device Desktop computer Screen

@yukiok2, what did you end up going with?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts