AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize you guys hate these questions, but I've read A LOT and I'm still CLUELESS!!

Over the past few months I've went from the Epson 1080U to the Panasonic AX200, and now I'm totally unsure. I'm FINALLY ready to purchase and want to get the most for my money. My MAJOR concern is that I get one with no pixelation. My opinion is that most untrained eyes, like myself and my friends, won't notice the color or black levels as much as SDE or pixelation (I'll be sitting pretty close).

Here's my set up:

Room Dimensions are 19 x 17' wide with a 7 1/2' ceiling

I intend to paint the wall to make a 100" screen (approx)

Throw distance - 13.5'

Viewing distance - 10 - 13' (13' being the farthest back and directly under the projector)

Room is controlled light (basement)

Room colors - dark red with dark grey ceilings.

Uses - movies, sports (HD/SD), and video games

Budget - 3k or less (preferably MUCH less

ANY advise or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You were fine with the Epson 1080UB.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
You were fine with the Epson 1080UB.

Maybe so.... I went to the Panasonic because of the savings and the quality control issues I read about from Epson.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel /forum/post/14260537

Maybe so.... I went to the Panasonic because of the savings and the quality control issues I read about from Epson.

Thanks for the reply.

You didn't really specify a budget...

The panasonic will defintely address the SDE possibility if you go 720p and sit close.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
You didn't really specify a budget...

The panasonic will defintely address the SDE possibility if you go 720p and sit close.

Well, 3k or less (preferably MUCH less
I like the $1,200 price tag on the Panny, but I've been following it's known problems thread on and the 'flickering' problem has me scared (though I'd buy it in a second if that weren't a problem, or if there were an easy fix).

Thanks

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel /forum/post/14261353

Well, 3k or less (preferably MUCH less
I like the $1,200 price tag on the Panny, but I've been following it's known problems thread on and the 'flickering' problem has me scared (though I'd buy it in a second if that weren't a problem, or if there were an easy fix).

Thanks

The "problems" ascribed to the panny and the epson are negligible. You see things about it here because this is the place to talk about it. The convergence issue looks to be resolved and can be dealt with by your vendor should you have any problems and the flicker issue is not just a panny issue but can be resolved most of the time by running in high mode for awhile to smooth off the lamp. There also seems to be a "flicker" adjustment on the Panny but I would need to reread the threads to see where you access it.

Long story short, don't be afraid - get one from a reputable supplier and enjoy!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
You see things about it here because this is the place to talk about it.

That's was kinda my theory too.

Quote:
the flicker issue is not just a panny

After reading some opinions on here, I understand this too, but some have also said the 'flicker' is worse with the Panasonic. What do you think? Could this be because there are more Panasonic owners here?

Quote:
issue can be resolved most of the time by running in high mode for awhile

No offense, but are you certain of this??? If so, then I'll definitely go with the AX200!!

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel /forum/post/14261511

That's was kinda my theory too.

After reading some opinions on here, I understand this too, but some have also said the 'flicker' is worse with the Panasonic. What do you think? Could this be because there are more Panasonic owners here?

No offense, but are you certain of this??? If so, then I'll definitely go with the AX200!!

Thanks Again!

According to Panasonic's marketing materials they sell more PJs than all other companies combined so there are many more AX200's out there and therefore have more problem children to report.

There are two kinds of flicker being described, strobing and candlelight flicker. The candlelight flicker can be resolved by running the PJ in Normal mode to smooth out the lamp. The strobing issue looks more like a psu or circuit problem and from the descriptions of a few other problem children, that's what is bothering their owners as well.

You will find an issue or two with all the PJs being discussed here in this forum - it's just the way things are in the mass assembly market.

I am certain of this: You will get a PJ and enjoy it immensely by avoiding AVS for awhile. The odds of you experiencing an issue are small but not non-existent. An unknown factor involved in whether you will have a problem or not is in your own expectations. Karma, luck, and the law of self fulfilling prophecy are all manifestations of quantum mechanics and the principles which allow subatomic particles to be present anywhere at any given time until forced to reside in one location versus another. Short answer - don't jinx yourself!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
reconlabtech, thanks for all your input and advice, you've definitely made me feel a little better about purchasing the AX200.

I think I'll do a little more reading and might pull the trigger on it tomorrow.

I'll just need to find a good place to buy and see if there are any 'break in' methods to help prevent 'flicker'.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel /forum/post/14260185

I realize you guys hate these questions, but I've read A LOT and I'm still CLUELESS!!

Over the past few months I've went from the Epson 1080U to the Panasonic AX200, and now I'm totally unsure. I'm FINALLY ready to purchase and want to get the most for my money. My MAJOR concern is that I get one with no pixelation. My opinion is that most untrained eyes, like myself and my friends, won't notice the color or black levels as much as SDE or pixelation (I'll be sitting pretty close).

Here's my set up:

Room Dimensions are 19 x 17' wide with a 7 1/2' ceiling

I intend to paint the wall to make a 100" screen (approx)

Throw distance - 13.5'

Viewing distance - 10 - 13' (13' being the farthest back and directly under the projector)

Room is controlled light (basement)

Room colors - dark red with dark grey ceilings.

Uses - movies, sports (HD/SD), and video games

Budget - 3k or less (preferably MUCH less

ANY advise or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!

My Projector I recommend is the Sanyo z2000 which is well under 3 k and no pixelation or SDE at all if you stick to HD I'm setup at veiwing and projector difference at 11 feet on a 106 inch 1+gain screen and its awesome. good luck

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
reconlabtech has given you good advise. The Epson 1080UB is definitely the better projector, but it should be since it costs a lot more. If you can swing it you will not need an upgrade for a while. Another thing to think about, LED projectors are coming and in a few years we might have laser projectors. You might want to spend less now so that you can upgrade.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you are not sensitive to DLP rainbow and do not require horizontal lenshift why not consider the BenQ w5000

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubenspikes /forum/post/14830124

how strong is the rainbox effect compared to the 6x wheel speed from a optoma 803 ?

Only 1% of the population can see rainbows on DLP projectors and the faster the wheel the less likely you are to see rainbows. 6x speed will help eliminate the rainbows for many people that see them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts