AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm the king of perpetual indecisiveness, but I think I've finally figured out my situation. As some of you already know, I planned on going to a CIH setup, but room dimension limitations as well as budgetary restraints were creating a pretty big stumbling block. DLP was going to be a no-no, as was a proper video processor/anamorphic lens setup.

I've measured until I was blue in the face (or was it hands) and I've realized that I cannot do a fixed-frame screen right now as it would really put a damper on the everyday use of the plasma. So, that being said, what I've devised was this:

Sanyo Z5 projector

106" Da-Lite Model C (HP material) 16:9 manual pull-down screen

Octavia 3x2 HDMI cross-switch

Requisite HDMI cables (probably Monoprice)

I had originally considered the Panny AX100U, but reading here in the $3K and under forum left me with too many unanswered questions with regard to quality, and aside from the lumen disparity, the Z5 seems to be a good solution (at quite a bit cheaper too).

This will allow me some extra wiggle room later on this year so I can start looking at lenses, a 2:35:1 screen and video processors. Am I okay in this line of thinking, or should I consider something else? I'm really ready to pull my hair out, as I am sick of waffling back and forth, and I really want to get whatever I decide on implemented in time so I can have some family/friends over to watch the Superbowl in roughly 21 days. I realize I may not get my screen in time for that, and I guess if need be, I could use something as a makeshift for the evening, but of course it won't be optimal.

So what are your thoughts? Anyone here using the Z5 currently in a CIH setup? How is it doing? Any comments on the Z5 in general?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Why not just buy a 2:35 pull down screen now so you won't have to buy another one.

You can always mask it or do a zoom for 2:35, which is what I'm doing.

Eventually I'll get a lens but this works well for now and the screen is awesome!!!

scott

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi BOSS10L,

I agree with Scott,

I have had a Sony HS-51 for about 2 years now with a 106" Da-Lite 16 x 9 HP screen. I have mine on a DIY fixed frame and it works great. BUT, I am considering moving into CH. I now use removable black velvet framing top and bottom to get me to the 2:35 format. No zooming yet.

The first step I will take toward CH is getting a new 2:35 HP screen. ?? 120" wide and experiment with just zooming the image when 2:35 to get the feel of it. Small investment for me and a no brainer for you to start with. You can always just mask the sides if you don't like it that wide.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
The Panny you were looking at will do the scaling needed to do the CH so you will not need a processor for the lens. Just a thought.

Nate

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have the AX100 and I love it. It works awesome in a constant height system. I bought it the day it came out and I have not had any issues so far.

Just my two cents.

Laters,

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.