AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/15438712

Please post how you feel about catalogue release rate, selection,quality etc along with your chronological age when posting.

Art

First let me say that I love catalogue releases. I think the release rate is "decent" but not as good as it should be. When I think catalogue, I'm expecting the older classics, such as Lawrence of Arabia, Casablanca, etc. I appreciate movies from the 80's and 90's as well.

Although I am very disappointed with releases such as Patton, The Longest Day, I am thrilled with releases like Casablanca, How The West Was Won, The Searchers, The Third Man, The Day The Earth Stood Still. We just need more like them. I just bought Becket and The Man Who Fell To Earth(hoping they are just as good).

I'm really hoping we eventually see The African Queen and Citizen Kane!

I am 36 years old.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I want catalog titles to come faster, as catalog is 90% of the reason I'm interested in any video format.

Day-and-date stuff? Eh... maybe 1 or 2 a year.

I'm counting down to the day I'll be able to have all of my personal top 20 films in Blu-ray. From the look of things so far, I'm guesstimating that day will happen about 3 years from now. Can I live with this? Yes. Do I want them now, anyway? YES!

I'm 33.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I'm a 30 year old philistine, in that I want more catalogue titles, but not nessecarily the classics. I understand that studios need to put out certain 'big' titles, titles that are guaranteed to sell to that title's already established fanbase,(and pick up some new fans on the way), but most of those titles don't interest me.

I'm more interested in the 'unloved' classics, the guilty pleasures in life. I want The Shadow, I want Deep Rising,(both with excellent Jerry Goldsmith scores), I want The 13th Warrior,(hey, another Jerry Goldsmith score). There are films that for me, merit much more discussion than any of the established,(and cliched), lists of classic movies.

I'm simply not interested in Star Wars or LOTR anymore.

Regarding new releases, I can honestly say that I don't buy alot of them, simply because 99.9% of what I see is junk, and I don't blind buy. Over and out.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I love movies full stop regardless of their age.

I have only been into Blu Ray since the summer of 2008 but i own some nice older movies on Blu Ray. I would say three quarters of the films i own are older movies and not new releases. I especially love the classic era of cinema from the 1930's to the late 1960's which i think was Hollywoods golden age.

Below are some movies i rate highly on Blu Ray that i own and are from the above era.

The Searchers

Rio Bravo

Dr No

From Russia With Love

Sleeping Beauty

How The West Was Won

The Day The Earth Stood Still

The Professionals

The above is just a small selection of movies but then i have only been collecting in HD a short while as i waited for the format war to end and i always wait to hear whether the transfer is any good these days which is why i wanted to buy certain films but didn't.

I'd love to buy some classic Hitchcock such as Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest or Marnie and i also can't wait for Lawrence Of Arabia and films like Forbidden Planet and Singin' In The Rain to hit Blu Ray.....I'll be buying The Wizard of Oz, King Kong ( 1933 edition ) Walt Disneys Pinocchio and Ben Hur this year among many other classic films to get released.

How old am i ? Well i'll be 40 later this year.....For me though age is just a number and it doesn't matter how old a film is because if i like it i'll buy it.

As far as older movies outside the golden era of Hollywood then there are many films from the eighties and nineties i would love to buy on Blu Ray but the catch is i want a good transfer without edge enhancement or DNR so i tend to wait for opinions at this site before purchasing....An exception was the first X Files movie and i got stung by a bad old transfer with lots of edge enhancement but that's because i'm a fan and bought in advance without waiting for news on how good/bad the transfer was....frankly it won't happen again as studio's don't deserve my money for bad transfers of what i consider good films.

The release rate to date of quality big name catalogue titles has i think been too slow but i see that changing in 2009/2010.....Quality remains variable though and i hope this changes and more care is lavished upon catalogue titles.

let's see more of the classical musicals get released and like i said above get the Hitchcock films out and a few more classic westerns such as The Big Country or Red River ( John Wayne's best western and possibly one of the finest westerns ever made )

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel like catalog titles have been coming at a solid and steady rate. Everyone has a movie that they are waiting for and a lot of those wishes are being fulfilled (i.e. Godfather, Casablanca, Shawshank). Titles I'm waiting for include The Sting, Cinderella Man, Dances With Wolves, Gladiator, and the Disney Classics Peter Pan and Robin Hood.

I have been pleased with the picture quality of the majority of titles. I love the Dirty Harry series and though they aren't the greatest transfers I am more than happy with what Warner has done with them. I also love The Godfather and James Bond films and these are top notch for obvious reasons.

I'm a little disappointed in the pricing of catalog titles and am waiting to replace most of the titles I own until Blu-Ray catalog pricing comes down. I want to purchase most catalog titles at the $10-$16 price range.

I'm 23.

Good thread Art.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I am far more interested in catalog than I am in current/new movies. There is some hope in the the movies that have been announced/rumoured for q1,q2 of 2009. But it isn't going to be any where near enough to quench the thirst. If they want this format to really take off they need to start getting serious. If we don't see big announcements coming out of CES then it will probably be Q4 again before we see any substantial increase. That is way, way to long. I am going to be really ticked if we have replication capacity sitting around doing nothing for a good chunk of the year.

I'm in my 40's.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15441862

If they want this format to really take off they need to start getting serious.

You know, the PlayStation generation being the early-adopter target for Blu-ray really indicates to me that the studios have typecast themselves into a little box. Sure, there are lots of young-ish people with disposable income and blockbuster tastes, but when has the home video early adopter market ever not also involved lots of classic cinema diehards like us?

I jumped in with HD DVD first, in part because of price and in part because of issues like region-coding, but 90% of my decision was down to one simple fact: I looked at the available HD DVD releases and saw lots of catalog classics I wanted; I looked at the available Blu-ray releases and saw little but day-and-date new release dreck.

Sure, I don't spend megabucks on market research and the studios do, but really I think one thing is clear: catalog titles may not sell in the numbers that new releases do, but they drive the kind of vocal, influential early adopters the studios want hawking and demoing their product for them- the kind of people who get so excited to show off their new toys that they'll even put one of those new release titles on just to impress their J6P friends.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm 18 and I'm just getting more and more interested in older films that I was basically avoiding before : pre-80s films. Actually, many of my purchase list titles are catalog titles, and not recent.

But let's not forget recent catalog titles, while they're good stuff to make BD attractive, too. I particularly think to Eastwood titles releases by Warner : good job.

As for older catalog titles, I have been incredibly amazed by Sleeping Beauty. I plan to buy all subsequent Disney Platinum Edition titles, since this is a great collection and will be, i'm sure of it, a must-own on Blu-ray. Disney animated features are great movies and they deserve the same restoration and transfer than Sleeping Beauty (and even more special features on Disc-2 !).

Aside from this, many other catalog titles look worth a purchase to me. I just ordered 2001: A Space Odyssey and I plan to buy other Kubrick titles. Casablanca too, in a cheaper edition than the big collector one. How The West Was Won seems really interesting too, Blade Runner will soon join my collection, I may buy The Seventh Seal soon or later, and I'd like to get some from Welles, Hitchock, Kurosawa...

As for the video aspect, despite I don't consider EE or DNR artifacts as much annoying with my current CRT HD set, what I'm looking to in a transfer is that it is really accurate to the original release and director's intent, so that I would be able to enjoy older films in their "definitive edition" when I'll have greater gear. I'm waiting for accuracy to the original picture so that I could be sure I really invest in a solid piece of cinema History when buying an older catalog title.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the pace is about right for me, personally. I'd rather see definitive versions now than a number of rushed releases that will be improved upon every couple years like we saw with SD-DVD. Also, I just can't afford to purchase a dozen Blu-rays a month like some people around here, so having a couple amazing must-buy catalog releases a month is ideal for me. So far the first quarter of 2009 looks great, with 400 Blows, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, both French Connections, Akira, Silence of the Lambs, Ronin, Pinnochio, Being There, Groundhog Day, and This Is Spinal Tap being plenty for me to buy for the time being.

I agree with one of the earlier posts - it's more important to me that we see some diversity in the catalog instead of just all the money-makers we've seen repackaged on DVD over and over. The more unlikely releases from last year, like Run Lola Run or the Harryhausen set, have been some of my favorites.

Oh, and I'm 22.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Catalogue pacing is pretty fine by me. I pick up a title a week pretty much, which is a pace I think is pretty solid. I'm a fan of quality over quantity... I'd prefer the studios to put out top notch titles rather than rush all of my favorites at once. So far it's been kind of in the middle.

I'm only 21, so haven't seen a ton of movies from the '60s and 70's but there are a lot of '80s and '90s movies I love and am patiently waiting for on blu, and titles like Raging Bull and Taxi Driver are titles I've never seen, so in many cases blind buys on blu-ray are the first I've seen of a particular title, so I'm pretty pleased with the quality.

Only drawback of catalogue titles is when they get a heavy slap of DNR and EE...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I feel similar to Brendan above. I'd rather see a reasonable rate of release on older titles with the remastering job well done. Films that are just thrown out there in slapdash fashion are going to help make physical media obsolete. Folks will think, "If X isn't going to look any better than this, I'll just buy the download or rent it."

Waiting for Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, and The Wizard of Oz, among others.

I'm 52.

Lee

·
Registered
785 Posts
I am 41, and generally more interested in catalog than current fare.

I keep track of my collection in a spreadsheet, and of the 381 feature films I own, (I'm purposely excluding documentaries and TV shows), just over 40% are available or announced on Blu-ray and/or HD DVD. I'd say that's a pretty good ratio so early in the format's life.

Now, I don't have too many Criterions, or what would be considered "classic" films, so I may not be the best indicator, but in two years, I'd expect 90% - 95% of my collection to be available on BD.

PS - The fact that The Godfather trilogy is available in a definitive Blu-ray package continues to amaze me.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Catalog releases have been slow. Quality has been hit and miss. 35.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Catalogue releases are what I look forward to the most. I love visiting an era when films actually looked like film.

I'm only 20 so when an older movie comes out I see it as an opportunity to experience a gem I was too young to see or appreciate the first time around. Films that I have heard of but never got around to watching suddenly pop up on my radar, ones I didn't know of are brought to my attention and I'm all the better for it.

Thanks to the buzz generated by their HD/Blu-ray releases I have been exposed to movies like Bullitt, The Searchers, The Seventh Seal, Trainspotting and Patton (though that one was mutilated).

Quality can be hit or miss, obviously excitement is dampened when a lousy source is used or has been manipulated/DNR'd to death. But when the studios get them right they are a real sight to behold; like with Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind or The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I do wish catalogue titles would come out at a quicker pace (there are some that I can't wait to get my hands on in Hi-Def) but as it is I don't have the time or money to watch all the ones I want to that are already out. And we know what happens when a studio floods the market with rush jobs. Given the choice I'd take a trickle of high-quality releases over a trove of obsolete masters crammed onto single-layer discs sans extras.

And who'da thunk it, I was one of those 18-year-old PS3 buyers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would buy about half of the films on the AFI 100 list if they are offered on Blu-ray. Other classics are also high on my list of movies to buy. I have a copy of Mutiny on the Bounty on HD-DVD. Unfortunately, some classics are not in demand for some reason.

I'm 62 and buy current titles as well as classics. Sound is just as important as the video to me. When mono or stereo movies are converted to 5.1 sound, it's a plus for me as long as the original sound track is included.

Bill

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm really enjoying the catalogue releases so far.

Some important things I think about before making a catalogue purchases are:

Do I already own the title on DVD?

What improvements does the Blu offer over DVD?

Does the blu-ray present a faithful reproduction of director's intent?

When appropriate does the blu include the mono soundtrack?

Is the audio loseless?

Some of my favorite catalogue titles so far?

The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Third Man

Chung King Express

Close Encounters

The Bond Films

Planet of the Apes(could have been better)

The Searchers

The Shining

The Searchers

The Road Warrior

The Godfather Collection

Eyes Wide Shut

Sleeping Beauty

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Some disappointments

The Harryheusen Collection

The Longest Day

Patton

I'm 28 and really looking forward to future releases as long as they are quality. I also believe price really needs to come down to the $9.99 level on some titles.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC /forum/post/15443171

I feel similar to Brendan above. I'd rather see a reasonable rate of release on older titles with the remastering job well done. Films that are just thrown out there in slapdash fashion are going to help make physical media obsolete.

This is how I feel as well, at least from the perspective of purchasing and collection. I don't mind a very thin trickle of classic catalog titles as long as they have an evident sheen of TLC and completeness along the lines of Blade Runner or Close Encounters.

On the other hand, as a heavy renter, I can't say that I would be completely opposed to some mass dumping of current catalog DVD masters onto barebones BD-25 to increase HD title choice especially for older catalog films which are certainly under-represented. However "horrific" the end result, it's still going to be the best version available. If I have my numbers correct, it looks like there are fewer than 100 titles with theatrical dates prior to 1980 available on Blu-ray which is pretty light by any standard.

I probably rent about 15+ titles while purchasing 2-3 titles per month with the purchases pretty evenly balanced between catalog and "best" new releases. This is basically my maximum movie watching capacity (well, maybe a few more after the NFL season completes
). While I could certainly buy more and rent less, I don't feel strongly compelled to change this ratio since renting is so cheap and convenient unless title prices drop below $10.

It's a bit of internal cognitive dissonance for me, since I would love to see everything given a perfectly meticulous treatment and I think an excessive dilution of the Blu-ray brand by substandard releases could be potentially harmful to continued adoption of a format that I would very much like to see succeed. At the same time, however, I'm already on the bandwagon and I'd rather not pop in a DVD ever again if I could avoid it. Content trumps disc quality in my book, so the more catalog releases the merrier.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.