AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been somewhat helping my parents with the structured wiring and a/v stuff in their new house. I just noticed that this is the RG6 that was installed by the electrician ( Commodity Cables Coax ). Is this stuff okay? I don't believe any run of cable is longer than 75 feet, but definitely not longer than 100 feet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just asking since it's not quad shield RG6. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavaflay /forum/post/15521021

I've been somewhat helping my parents with the structured wiring and a/v stuff in their new house. I just noticed that this is the RG6 that was installed by the electrician ( Commodity Cables Coax ). Is this stuff okay? I don't believe any run of cable is longer than 75 feet, but definitely not longer than 100 feet.

That coax will probably work fine for cable tv or antenna inside the home. What concerns me is that you say a/v stuff in the house. Was your intention to run component video over this coax? If that is the case, it will likely not work.

Also, you need to keep in mind that you can't trust data sheets from companies that are not reputable. I'm not sure the PDF you linked to is worth the electrons it was displayed with. The coax is more likely to have roughly 40% braid coverage give or take 10% (if you are lucky), but the good news is that this seems to be good enough unless there is a lot of EMI or RFI interference in your area. This is especially true considering your generally short runs.

To be fair, a lot of these companies just import the coax and don't have the staff or knowledge available to verify what the Chinese companies are supplying them. Of course, there are some cases where the US company importing these products knows exactly what they are getting and just doesn't care.

If you get a chance, take a look at what is printed on the wire. There should be something with an E and 5 or 6 numbers printed on there. Post that here and I should be able to tell you who really made the cable.

I hope this helps.

Carl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the cable it is printed E233577. It is only intended for antenna/cable tv. There is, however, one location where I asked them to do a 25' run for a 2nd zone audio, but there is also speaker wire there just in case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I PMed Carl, and he told me that the cable is manufactured by:

SHAOXING SHENGYANG ELECTRICAL

APPLIANCE CO LTD

He said, "I'm still concerned that it is bare copper on AL foil. Not good at all."

I found that this thread actually contains the same E-code RG6 cable that I have: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14190995 . After seeing pictures of the stripped cable in the thread, Carl said, "Also, I can tell the coax is probably only 30-40% braid, maybe less. Good dual-shield coax has ~60% braid."

Yikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts