AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first 5.1 Surround System. The front left/right do not need to be in-wall, but that's what I (aka wife) prefer. The rears need to be flush wall mounted on the side wall. Please rate it and make suggestions. I listed the prices I found next to them which include shipping/tax.

Receiver - Denon AVR-2112ci - $525

Center - Definitive Technology Mythos Seven - $282 (open box)

Left/Right Front - Hsu HIW-1 or Hsu HB-1 MK2- $326/pair

Left/Right Rear - Energy RC-6C - $180/pair

Sub - Hsu VTF-2 MK3 - $572

Total Package - $1360 speakers, $525 receiver = $1885

The area is open to the kitchen so no rear wall. The main view is 10'-6" away from center. The area dimensions are 15' long x 14'-8" wide and 9' ceilings. Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Your left/right fronts and centre speaker should be from the same manufacturer AND same series for optimal timbre match.

So either go all DefTech Mythos or all Hsu.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Note that the standard "surround" component for 5.1 isn't really a "rear" speaker, but rather a "side" speaker, slightly back from your listening position. ( http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/ )

Of course, that's the recommendation, and what you actually do has to fit in a real room rather than a THX drawing of a theoretical room. But it's something to keep in mind, at least.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz T /forum/post/20884305

My first 5.1 Surround System. The front left/right do not need to be in-wall, but that's what I (aka wife) prefer. The rears need to be flush wall mounted on the side wall. Please rate it and make suggestions. I listed the prices I found next to them which include shipping/tax.

Receiver - Denon AVR-2112ci - $525

Center - Definitive Technology Mythos Seven - $282 (open box)

Left/Right Front - Hsu HIW-1 or Hsu HB-1 MK2- $326/pair

Left/Right Rear - Energy RC-6C - $180/pair

Sub - Hsu VTF-2 MK3 - $572

Total Package - $1360 speakers, $525 receiver = $1885

The area is open to the kitchen so no rear wall. The main view is 10'-6" away from center. The area dimensions are 15' long x 14'-8" wide and 9' ceilings. Let me know your thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

Please go with matching speaker models since you're starting from scratch. Get all Energy, all Def Tech or all HSU speakers, especially the front 3.

there are some really good deals on Energy speakers right now if you check the Energy owners thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments...

This is my first post.

I'd love to go all Hsu in the front, but their center channel is about 10" deep and I will be placing it on my fireplace mantle, so I only have about 6" depth.

So it looks like I'll go Definitive, in which case I'd choose the ProMonitor 1000.

Now if I do that should I choose the ProCenter 1000 instead of the Mythos Seven @ center?

Also which Energy speaker system in comperable price/performance to what I have mentioned?

Does the Sub need to match the fronts?

Again, thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you are putting everything above the fireplace, consider removing the mantle and lowering it... you can even replace it with a different one that is deeper.

Typically a mantle is just hanging on two screws set in the brick/grout.

Its not hard to do, plenty of DIY home remodeling sites have instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz T /forum/post/20884867

Thanks for all the comments...

This is my first post.

I'd love to go all Hsu in the front, but their center channel is about 10" deep and I will be placing it on my fireplace mantle, so I only have about 6" depth.

So it looks like I'll go Definitive, in which case I'd choose the ProMonitor 1000.

Now if I do that should I choose the ProCenter 1000 instead of the Mythos Seven @ center?

Also which Energy speaker system in comperable price/performance to what I have mentioned?

Does the Sub need to match the fronts?

Again, thanks in advance...

Consider Charlie's comments on changing the mantle.

Assuming no mantle change, then go DefTech,

- either all Mythos, or

- ProMonitor 1000 for L/R and ProCenter 2000 (then get either ProMonitor 1000 or ProMonitor 800 for rears).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Post came out weird..sorry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.