AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theater will be ready for paint this weekend so i am starting my HTPC build. I want to be able to rip DVD and BD to the harddrive as well as have a dvr. I would like to keep the price as low as possible, but i realize that i will still be around $750-$1000. Here is what i have selected from NewEgg

Silverstone LC10B case

AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Logitech diNovo Mini Black USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 MCE - White Box 1129 PCI-Express x1

I have an OCZ 650w power supply and a few HD's allready. I am debating on if i need sound and video cards or if the on board will be acceptable. I have a felling i will end up getting a Xonar sound card and a Geforce 9800 or 250 GTS

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by black3000gt /forum/post/17018532

My theater will be ready for paint this weekend so i am starting my HTPC build. I want to be able to rip DVD and BD to the harddrive as well as have a dvr. I would like to keep the price as low as possible, but i realize that i will still be around $750-$1000. Here is what i have selected from NewEgg

Silverstone LC10B case

I have an OCZ 650w power supply and a few HD's allready. I am debating on if i need sound and video cards or if the on board will be acceptable. I have a felling i will end up getting a Xonar sound card and a Geforce 9800 or 250 GTS

Everything looks good. I don't care for the HVR-1800, mostly just because it's an internal card. I suppose you're probably using WMC or VMC and in that case you'll need an analog card to get by anyway. But if not, consider the HDHomerun. It's the best money I ever spent (and I've spent WAY TOO MUCH!!).

BT

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
5 out of 10

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/17021861

I don't care for the HVR-1800, mostly just because it's an internal card. I suppose you're probably using WMC or VMC and in that case you'll need an analog card to get by anyway.
Internal or external (USB or networked) has nothing to do with the supported TV formats. WinTV-HVR-1800 is an internal card supporting ATSC (digital OTA)/Clear QAM (digital cable TV) and NTSC (analog cable TV now). VMC supports ATSC/NTSC fine (even Clear QAM with some tuners). 7MC supports ATSC/Clear QAM/NTSC fine.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17023108

Internal or external (USB or networked) has nothing to do with supported TV formats. WinTV-HVR-1800 is an internal card supporting ATSC (OTA), Clear QAM (cable TV) and NTSC (analog). VMC supports ATSC/NTSC fine (even Clear QAM with some tuners). 7MC supports ATSC/Clear QAM/NTSC fine.

+1

I have a kworld 115 and it picks up more stations and more clearly than anything else that I have.

Silverstone LC10B case

nice case

New cpu? I was think of upgrading my old x2 4200 to a windsor x2 6000. Perhaps I will look at this instead. You won't get much bang for the buck than the 3.0 x2 amd's (doesn't seem right that I have an HD4830 paired with a 4200 amd x2)

I would have suggested an HD 4XXX for GTS 2XX, but your CPU should be enough to drive the blurays with no problems. My x2 5K does it just fine.

I really don't think you need more than 2 for just movies, but ram is cheap right now... won't hurt

I see so many people try to work around a keyboard. My keyboard and mouse work just great for me.

Can't do better than Hauppauge IMO... except maybe an ATI. Good choice though.

You are gonna have to be careful with heat if you put an extra card in there. You might want to consider a die shrunk HD 4770 instead. It runs really cool and will outperform the 9800 by a mile.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/17023108

Internal or external (USB or networked) has nothing to do with the supported TV formats. WinTV-HVR-1800 is an internal card supporting ATSC (digital OTA)/Clear QAM (digital cable TV) and NTSC (analog cable TV now). VMC supports ATSC/NTSC fine (even Clear QAM with some tuners). 7MC supports ATSC/Clear QAM/NTSC fine.

The reason I mentioned what I did is because the only dealings I've had with Windows MC is with XP MCE and I knew it required (at one time, at least) an NTSC tuner for setup. I have no idea if VMC or 7MC have this same requirement or not and really don't care since I will not be using them. My point is that the HDHomerun is ATSC/QAM and NO NTSC! So if the NTSC requirement was still there then the OP would have issues attempting to set up the HDHR. I simply like the HDHR because it is external/networked and doesn't cause any issues when picking a case.

I fully realize that the HVR-1800 does ATSC/QAM/NTSC since it is the PCIe version or the HVR-1600 I used to have.

Hope this clarifies things.

BT

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/17026104

The reason I mentioned what I did is because the only dealings I've had with Windows MC is with XP MCE and I knew it required (at one time, at least) an NTSC tuner for setup.

VMC/7MC does not have this requirement. So your statement is true only for MCE 2005.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/17026104

The reason I mentioned what I did is because the only dealings I've had with Windows MC is with XP MCE and I knew it required (at one time, at least) an NTSC tuner for setup. I have no idea if VMC or 7MC have this same requirement or not and really don't care since I will not be using them. My point is that the HDHomerun is ATSC/QAM and NO NTSC! So if the NTSC requirement was still there then the OP would have issues attempting to set up the HDHR. I simply like the HDHR because it is external/networked and doesn't cause any issues when picking a case.

I fully realize that the HVR-1800 does ATSC/QAM/NTSC since it is the PCIe version or the HVR-1600 I used to have.

Hope this clarifies things.

BT

My Kworld 115 is NTSC/ATSC/QUAM and it has zero problems. As far as I know, NTSC is no longer required... probably is no longer supported in actuality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts