AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for one of the 65" TVs that can be separated in to two pieces. I need to install it on the third floor of a townhouse with an awkward staircase.

I only know of Toshiba and Mitsubish models with the ability to separate the screen from the CRTs for transport. If there are others, feel free to mention them.

Of these types of TVs, which can you recommend with a budget of about $3000? Is there a better value at a slightly lower or slightly higher price?

·
Registered
807 Posts
The new JVC 65" television, which just hit the streets has a two piece cabinet. This and the other models mentioned are the only only ones I know of that have the two piece cablinet feature.

You would be hard pressed to find a 65" Mitsubishi in the $3,000 range, except perhaps for their lowest line model, like the ones found at Best Buy.

You could probably locate a Toshiba Cinema Series for around that price, the 65" Theaterwide would definitely work for your budget, but I would recommend stepping up a couple of hundred bucks for the Cinema Series.

The JVC will probably fall in at $3,000. I don't know about the Hitachi model.

Mike K.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 65411 Mitsubishi being delivered on Saturday. I got it from Tweeter for $3,089 after tax with a five year warranty (optional, of course). You can easily get these guys down to $2600.00 as I did without much of a fight. This doesn't have an integrated tuner, but I didn't need one as Time Warner San Diego's HDTV boxes do all the decoding. Do some research and you'll find that it is possible to get absolute low prices. Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently bought the Hitachi 65SWX20B which has two piece cabinet. 57SWX20B on the other hand, is one-piece unit. It took two people to move the top piece while the bottom piece may require three to move it upstairs.

I bought this one because it had DVI input and because of remote control programmability. The remote on this one had direct video source selection so it makes it easy for me to program the Pronto. I bought the one with the DVI input since it offers a direct digital path.

I found very good user reviews at Home Theater Spot forum on Hitachi SWX series.

Yesterday, I got the V Inc.'s Bravo D1 DVD player which outputs DVI. When connected to 65SWX20B, SuperBit Fifth Element was so film-like, I got absorbed into the movie and did not look for artifacts or flaws. This is without fine-tuning the 65SWX. I am certain that fine-tuning using AVIA disk will give me better picture but I am too busy enjoying it for now.

KenC

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mitsubishi Select model WS-65712. Great set and super cabinet design. This set is sold only through select Mitsubishi dealers. Approx. $4800.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.