AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in Toronto in December and want to invest in a pair of headphones. I know I will have to audition but what should I be looking for and what are reasonable prices. Last pair of headphones I owned was way back in 1984 Micro Sieki Electrostatics they were great but and absolute pain until they warmed up.

$250 is the upper limit of my budget

Any Canadians can you recommend a good store.

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the Sennheiser HD595, great headphones, they are open ear however, meaning the person sitting next to you can hear the sound almost as well as you can.

If thats a problem look for closed ear designs, I've got a pair of the bose quietcomfort 2's which were used mostly for the noise canceling and they seem to have a solid frequency response, we were using them for a specific project and the measurements on a biaural head were quite good, ended up keeping a pair for flying.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Audio Technica ATH-M50 are very popular in the studio world and within your budget. They are closed back, over the ear design. If you go to a pro audio store in Toronto called Long & McQuade, you will find them and should be able to audition them (or most Sennheiser & AKG stuff too!). It's a fun store!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I'd strongly recommend these Sony headphones. They're a studio monitor series that is a very solid product.

I've used the MDR series for over 15 years, they are robust, and sound superb. I've used them somewhat DJing, but a great deal while mixing live shows, driven by console outputs, which is a very hostile environment as they can easily be over driven. I've also used them for an extensive ammount of DAT editing of live shows. They have a nice spectral balance that translates well.

These days, I also use them while PC gaming, as to not disrupt or be disrupted by others. Anyway, I've heard many, many headphones over the years, and there are better, but not for the price. The sound quality is real, real good. They fold up real cool too.

I'd say Sony MDR series, Beyer, AKG, or Sennheiser. The Sony are high performance at a decent price. The other are merely high performance. Headphones are very subjective, personal preference, since comfort comes into play. Bose are decent, however a terrible buy. One could do twice as good at the Bose price-point, with a different mfr. than Bose. They're decent, but way, way overpriced.

Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackiefan /forum/post/19570529

Audio Technica ATH-M50 are very popular in the studio world and within your budget. They are closed back, over the ear design. If you go to a pro audio store in Toronto called Long & McQuade, you will find them and should be able to audition them (or most Sennheiser & AKG stuff too!). It's a fun store!

Thank you most certainly will. Can you please give me the address

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax /forum/post/19570116

I have the Sennheiser HD595, great headphones, they are open ear however, meaning the person sitting next to you can hear the sound almost as well as you can.

If thats a problem look for closed ear designs, I've got a pair of the bose quietcomfort 2's which were used mostly for the noise canceling and they seem to have a solid frequency response, we were using them for a specific project and the measurements on a biaural head were quite good, ended up keeping a pair for flying.

Only one sitting next to me will be Cavo (See Pic)and she doesnt mind hearing a bit of music Now and again

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think the 595's are nice, but I have never heard anything else in that range.
I use it connected directly to my iTouch and Denon 1909 AVR for some PC gaming, sometimes (when the game doesn't offer the benefit of surround sound, :cough: Black Ops... ).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the info on phones. I have a decent list that will get me started but I am starting to believe that I need a headphone amp as well. I will be able to afford about$80. Are there any recomedations

Cheers

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughalot /forum/post/19626507

I appreciate all the info on phones. I have a decent list that will get me started but I am starting to believe that I need a headphone amp as well. I will be able to afford about$80. Are there any recomedations

Cheers

You only need a headphone amp with very high impedance headphones or to tame ultra high noise source equipment. The headphone community is as gullible as the esoteric high end audiophile community.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19626567

You only need a headphone amp with very high impedance headphones or to tame ultra high noise source equipment. The headphone community is as gullible as the esoteric high end audiophile community.

A Cynic I like that Cheers

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughalot /forum/post/19626592

A Cynic I like that Cheers

The only reason people need headphone amps is because their PMPs need more voltage into high impedance loads and simply don't get loud enough.

Most decent headphones will have an impedance arouund 20 to 70 ohms which is perfectly fine. It's the high end headphones with impedance like 300-600 ohms that needs a headphone amp IMO.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19626698

The only reason people need headphone amps is because their PMPs need more voltage into high impedance loads and simply don't get loud enough.

Most decent headphones will have an impedance arouund 20 to 70 ohms which is perfectly fine. It's the high end headphones with impedance like 300-600 ohms that needs a headphone amp IMO.

Cheers that I didnt know

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Under $200 I like Audio Technica ATH-M50, and Shure SRH-840.

Shure is available at Futureshop and Apple.ca

Audio Technica is sold at Long and McQuade

Denon AHD1100 isn't bad either (at Bay Bloor Radio, downtown Toronto) . They have a wall of other headphones so you can compare a whole bunch on the spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.