Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

My HTPC is almost complete. I have a Revolution on order and my 2.5Ghz computer should be here this week. I will be using an older Geforce 2 Ultra for video card (might put in my Ti4200 or Radeon 9700 Pro...we will see).

I should also have the VGA breakout cable tonight.

Now, I need the DVD-ROM. Can someone please let me know a good, quiet drive that will work well with my system? It does not have to be super quiet, as I would rather save a little cash.

Please recommend a drive and where I could purchase it.

I see newegg has a Toshiba for $44 shipped:

TOSHIBA 16X DVD-ROM Model SD-M1712 OEM DRIVE ONLY

Specifications:

Interface: EIDE ATAPI

Average Random Access 95ms (DVD-ROM)170ms (DVD-RAM) 85ms (CD 48X)

Burst Data Transfer Rate 16.7MB/s (PIO Mode 4 & Multiple Word DMA) 33.3MB/s (Ultra DMA)

MTBF: 100,000 hours

Spin Up Time: 1.5s (DVD, DVD-RAM /)1.9s (DVD-RAM / )1.4s (CD)

Buffer Cache Size: 192KByte

How is this one?

By chance do any drives come bundled with Theatertek?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Lite-On and it is a little noisy when the disk is spinning up.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

There has to be a favorite among everyone!

You guys recommended the Revo but not a DVD drive!?!? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gruson,

Patience can go a long way.....Pioneer drives are quite reliable and moddable.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not sure of the model number, but alote of htpc'ers are very happy with the pioneer slot load drive.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have the toshiba SD-1712. I haven't watched any movies yet but did install XP and other sofetware. is quick and easily moded for region free play.

FREAK!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why not go for a burner? I just picked up a Verbatim from staples (pricematching it to outpost) , and with rebate and coupon it ended up costing just $96. I can't figure out the math - I think they may have screwed up by $10 on the price match.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Also when looking at DVD drives, take buffer sizes into consideration.. the bigger,the better...

My local CompUSA had 3 different DVD drives available, 2 had 512kb buffers and the other had a 256kb buffer...all at the same price of $59.00..

I chose a "Lite On" with the 512kb buffer..

·
Registered
850 Posts
According the the box, the verbatim burner has a 2MB buffer. For an extra $50, I'd go with the ability to burn.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm not sure about LiteON DVD-ROM drives, but their CD-RW drives are really really loud, compared to my ASUS 16X DVD-ROM drive. I'd recommend the ASUS drive because its fast, relatively quiet, and even though there's no "region free firmware", it has something even better, a region free counter reset.

·
Registered
217 Posts
LiteOn drives are updated to region free by a windows util (no need to flash anything)

As for the noise, the LTD-166S is quiter than my 52x/24x/52x LiteOn burner...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 90c4
Why not go for a burner? I just picked up a Verbatim from staples (pricematching it to outpost) , and with rebate and coupon it ended up costing just $96. I can't figure out the math - I think they may have screwed up by $10 on the price match.

Can you tell us how you did that? The staples web site shows $219 - 30 rebate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by q3131a
Can you tell us how you did that? The staples web site shows $219 - 30 rebate.
Call staples and tell them you want to pricematch to outpost.com . Outpost's price is $179. If you're lucky, they'll match to the after rebate price. I think they did this in my case, because my invoice says $159.62 which is probably the staples price minus the 110% percent difference between the two prices plus the cost of overnight shipping that outpost would charge. Then use a $30 off $150 coupon code - I used 34340 which might work for you but you might have to hunt for another one. The rebate was originally $40 but they changed it to 30. I'm looking at my printout and it is definitely $40.

Anyway, worst case scenario, there is a $40 difference between the two prices so Staples should give you a discount of $44, plus a $30 coupon, plus a $30 rebate, so it should be around $116 (plus a few bucks if they insist that outpost would have to overnight it to you to get it there as quickly as staples. My total was $137.60 and I'm expecting $40 back. I'll probably give it to my brother in law or sell it on ebay, as I already have a burner. I just couldn't pass up the deal.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
A small hint. I use a Pioneer Slot-load scsi DVD drive and an adaptec 2930U scsi controller. Its a more expensive approach, but I have a scsi scanner too. The scsi controller does do the drive controlling and leaves the CPU free to do its own stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Do you need a DVD drive to have digital output on the back in order to have the DD AC3 and DTS bitstream pass straight through to digital outputs on your soundcard or motherboard? Or does the actual IDE cable or scsi connector carry the digital bitstream?

thanx

:)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The IDE cable will take care of it. No need to connect anything from your soundcard to the DVD-ROM drive.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Ok. So this bit here:

"Alternatively, the sound card can bypass its PCM circuitry and offer a passthrough of the non-PCM signal, straight from the source (like a DVD) to the S/PDIF output."

Just needs a sound card with an SPDIF?

My SB 128 has a digital output option. I guess that is stuck as a downmixed 2.0 PCM stereo digital? Is there any chance I can use the digital output of my SB 128 in the "passthrough" of bitstream DD and DTS?

What about DVD player software or sound card drivers?

thanx

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Its mostly soundcard dependent, and this includes the driver. I'm not sure if the SB128 supports DD/DTS passthrough via its digital output. If its S/PDIF compliant then there's a chance. However, its quite an old card so I'm not really sure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.