Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just putting together my HTPC and want to go for a good sound card to output DD/DTS sound thru SPDIF to an external amp. Right now I got a old SB LIVE platinum and was looking to replace it. Thinking of going in for a AUDIGY 2. Can anybody recommend any other good sound cards?

bye

·
Registered
99 Posts
I personally use the Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. The soundblaster cards dont appear to have a lot of support here but I use the cards in 3 different htpc's and have never had a problem. I use both the spdif/rca option as well as the audigy external drive option that has optical. Both work flawlessly for me and the output is phenomenal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had rough going with the built in SoundMAX Digital Audio card on my motherboard. After poking around this and other forums, I got a lot of recommendations for the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. I got one, and have been very happy with it indeed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This forum needs an FAQ

Should I buy a soundblaster for my HTPC?

Answer: It is good for gaming and DVDs. Not a good choice for listening to Audio CDs since it resamples all 44.1Khz data to 48Khz and in the process reduces the fidelity of the signal.

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
Mitsubishi HC7800, Onkyo TX-NR686 , Sony Blu-Ray, Spectrum TV, 104" screen, 7.1 sp w/ 400W Sub
338 Posts
I have an Audigy 2 and have been very disappointed in it. The reason is that when I let the card do the Dolby Digital/DTS (AC-3) decoding of DVDs the video judders and tears when the camera pans. This with a 2.4Ghz P4 w/ 533Mhz FSB, Albatron PX845PEV Pro MoBo, 512MB of PC2700 RAM check at an average of 20% CPU utilization when playing DVD. To get rid of the problem, I now pass SPDIF through as you want to do. When you do this, I don't believe the sound card is doing anything to the signal. If you have a mother board with on board sound and SPDIF out (even if it's just pins on the board as my Albatron has). I would save my $ and try the onboard chip first.

BTW, Creative seems known for below average support. When I brought my problem to their attention they responded suggesting that I was decoding AC-3 twice. Well, the onboard sound is turned off in BIOS and since PowerDVD4 I have only passes on SPDIF, the only other place to decode it is in the Audigy2.:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.