AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in opinions on the best set under $600. (less is ok too, but i'm assuming you get what you pay for to some extent)

A friend's TV is going bad (probably one of the guns - color is all off) and would like a new, flat, reliable direct view set. Any particular brands or (even better) models?

She will primarily be watching regular cable tv and DVDs (on a crappy DVD player - anyone heard of Duracomm?). I asked about widescreen and she said the ones she'd seen were too expensive.

Also, what's the best place to buy from?

Thanks so much for any ideas you could throw out.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Sony has a few TV's 27' and 24' for under 600. There are some Samsung

models, if your not looking for HD you can get something nice. How big do

want the screen to be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The new Zenith 27' HD. It just fits under 600 from CC website. So far I don't have any complaint other than it doesn't seem to be easy to get a firm grip to move this TVs around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been looking at similar tv's in that price range, as I am between buying tv's right now. My 27" one is getting pretty bad, so I was looking at like a 32/36" So far the best deal I have seen is a Toshiba 32AF43 which is like 599 from Best Buy.

A buddy of mine just bought an RCA one for like 450 and said the picture look real good and dvd's were nice also. It was not flat but they do have a flat one under $600

Some CC/BB might have a 32" Sony KVS100 which is an awesome deal under 600 if you can find it.

Right now if you buy from BB they are giving away a free TV stand also

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you want an HD set, I also recommend you look closely at the new Zenith 27V36 on sale for $600 at CC this week. I expect the 32" Zenith 32V36 to be going for under $900 when it arrives and if it's HD is as good as last years models, and the Faroudja DCDi "inside" does as expected with ntsc and dvd upconverts, it will be very difficult to beat.

Also look out for the V37 version which will include an ATSC tuner.

I'm a big fan of Sony Wegas and have a 27" and 24" for the kids bedrooms. If I were buying a 27" today I would buy that little Zenith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.