AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some suggestions. We just purchased some new furniture for our family room/home theater. The entertainment center will hold my 61" sammy DLP and has small cabinets on the ends with fabric doors for speakers. The room is 22x20 with a vaulted ceiling. I'm currently using Infinity Reference 2000.6 for the L/R channel and Infinity CC-3 center. Looking to increase the WAF by hiding the front L/R. Any suggestions.

BTW: this is all running through a Denon 2803

thanks.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What is your price range?

WHOLEY recommend Quad L Series. The larger 12L's over the 11L's preferably unless your on a tight budget.

Either of them seem to be winning more and more comparo's, but they don't seem popular in the US for some reason (well not much mentioned on these forums)

Im sure 6 coat 2 pac piano finish (various, included rear wood) should have enough WAF :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but the company website doesn't seem to list any US distributors.

I'm willing to spend up to $1000 for the pair (US funds)

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah the Quad Site is a bit slack like that. Don't list Australian ones either.

You could probably email them. I think most capital cities here in Aust seem to have at least one shop that stocks em, so im sure it should be similar in the US.

I think the 12L's would come in under $1000 USD. They are 500 UK Pound (well listed price in Hi-Fi review mags, so probably cheaper).

Back, ain't heard the Paradigm's, weird the different speakers that float around more commonly in various countries.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
With a room that size, you might want something larger than bookshelves.

Having said that, I'm waiting for my Axiom 22ti speakers to arrive.
http://www.axiomaudio.com

You didn't state the size of the "small cabinets on the ends" of your entertainment center, so I don't know if the 22tis would fit.

Dimensions. (in.)(HxWxD) 19.7x7.5x8.5

Since I haven't received mine yet, I cannot, in good conscience, recommend them, but they seem highly regarded, as do the Rockets, Ascends, Paradigms, etc.

What made me think of mentioning them was this really nice photo of the 22ti's with a Sammy 61, posted on the Axiom Message Boards by a customer. They come in 4 standard finishes, with a bunch more custom finishes available. The photos show the Mansfield Beech finish. The center channel speaker is the VP150.
http://home.twmi.rr.com/ravinuthala/index.htm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Somewhat bias because I own a pair, but the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s are outstanding speakers. Very accurate and detailed without sounding harsh. Didn't find a single pair of in-store speakers that sounded better to me for under $1000/pr. A bargain for $328/pr + shipping.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com
http://www.soundstage.com/equipment.shtml

Received rave reviews from consumers as well, with the only negative comments being that they are not cosmetically the most attractive. But then again, if they are going to be put into cabinets, that won't be an issue.

Victor

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spoon - I agree! Even better than speakers? Beer! Or wine! I love sampling other countries beer. ;) Paradigms are Canadian. They have used the NRC funding/findings like many Canadian speaker makers to build high quality high value speakers.

Ian - I noticed that you live in NJ. Any chance you are near a www.6ave.com They have some great deals on speakers, including Paradigm. You can go to the nearest store and demo them with some well known receivers. Other speakers they carry, according to their site: DefTech, Energy, Klipsch.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was in a similar position in my search for bookshelf speakers and I went for Von Schweikert VR-1s. $995.00 list. Very very happy with them. Would buy them again in a minute. These coupled with my new (1 day old) Hsu VTF-3r for extra Bass sound amazing.

I also listened recently to the GR research A/V-1s at Brian Bunge's shop and thought they sounded fantastic. I THINK they are $750 -or so- a pair finished by Brian himself.

Since you said WAF is an issue - Brian could probably finish them as you would like, which may be helpful on that all important front. Maybe you would not have to hide them! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Backcheck.. Thanks for the advice. I do live near one of the 6th ave locations. I'll give them a try.

TowJumper: In addition to the WAF factor, I have space issues. The entertainment center we purchased takes up the whole wall. Tower speakers would look out of place.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You could take a look at the B&W DM602 S3s...they are only about $500-$550 and sound really good in my opinion, Good WAF, and sounds amazing, they easily filled my friend's 20x20x9 room (well with his subwoofer of course). But they had amazing clarity and sound, and good low end extension for a bookshelf speaker. If you can find a place that sells B&Ws, I would do yourself a favor and at least try them out. You might like them! I love the looks of the yellow kevlar 7" woofer too. :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.