AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I please have some suggestions for best quality rear projection CRT TV that is around 60 inches and under $3500.00?

16:9 format, semi-light controlled room, don't like glare. Intend to watch SD, HDTV and Scaled DVD. Would like to be able to view 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i minimum (would require 8" - 9" CRT's?). 1080p would be great but, probably out of this price range.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Ed

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuski
Could I please have some suggestions for best quality rear projection CRT TV that is around 60 inches and under $3500.00?

16:9 format, semi-light controlled room, don't like glare. Intend to watch SD, HDTV and Scaled DVD. Would like to be able to view 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i minimum (would require 8" - 9" CRT's?). 1080p would be great but, probably out of this price range.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Ed
I don't believe you'll find any RP CRT sets that are capable of 1080p...as far as I know, only the fixed pixel displays can do that. You might want to look into this set by Toshiba:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...sp?model=65h84

What I like best about Toshiba TVs is that they offer an excellent feature set for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tukin18S,

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know what size CRT's the H84 Series use?

Ed

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Toshiba uses 7" guns.

Regards

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All,

Can 7" guns display 720p? I thought you needed an 8" CRT to handle 720P. What are your thoughts?

Ed

·
Registered
337 Posts
yup, HD CRT RPTVs do 1080i and most can accept 720p but cannot display it. they scale it to 1080i.

If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said Toshiba without batting an eye.

However I am now looking and replacing my Toshiba 57HX84 with a Sony or Hitachi.

It's a shame because they look great (The HX series are black rather than the ugly silver I will have to go for now) and the picture is great, the feature are perfect, the remote is the best and I just wish I could keep it.

However as I mentioned in a previous thread, when it gets a 720p signal a horizontal ghost line appears through the middle of the screen. Very annoying and the best part isthe Tosh repair guy AND the service manager of Tosh Canada BOTH told me it is normal and all their models do that. It was made for 1080i so any other signal has a chance of causing trouble. Can you believe it?

so I am off to chose a replacement. not easy, I hate those silver Cabinets...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando A
yup, HD CRT RPTVs do 1080i and most can accept 720p but cannot display it. they scale it to 1080i.

If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said Toshiba without batting an eye.

However I am now looking and replacing my Toshiba 57HX84 with a Sony or Hitachi.

It's a shame because they look great (The HX series are black rather than the ugly silver I will have to go for now) and the picture is great, the feature are perfect, the remote is the best and I just wish I could keep it.

However as I mentioned in a previous thread, when it gets a 720p signal a horizontal ghost line appears through the middle of the screen. Very annoying and the best part isthe Tosh repair guy AND the service manager of Tosh Canada BOTH told me it is normal and all their models do that. It was made for 1080i so any other signal has a chance of causing trouble. Can you believe it?

so I am off to chose a replacement. not easy, I hate those silver Cabinets...

Listening to this Im glad my 65H84 fell through last week in favor of a flat panel LCD.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my experience with front projection CRT's I can tell you that one of the neatest things about CRT systems is that they can generally sync. up to just about any signal within there range. The 9" system I have in the home theater today will sync. up to, and display, virtually any signal ranging from 480i to 1080p at a variety of frame rates.

I was under the impression that it was common for rear projection CRT units to have 7, 8 and 9 inch CRT's depending on the cost of the unit and the size of the screen. Are there any 9" crt units that throw a 60 - 65 inch image that anyone would recommend?

Ed

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Believe Mitsubishi is the only firm still making 9"-CRT sets. Numerous threads here discuss them. Use the search function and include archive searches. Here's part of an earlier review of one model. A recent thread here suggested the latest model(s) now will only upconvert 480i to 1080i, a disadvantage, if true, IMO, because often 480i signal quality isn't suitable for this much upconversion. -- John

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss
Consumer Reports says Sony KP-57WS520
Perfect reason NOT to get it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Id take Sony over anything else...9inch guns or not..Try watching Sd on anything else and the sony will blow it away...

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
My WS-65813 shows native 480p

but upconversion to 1080i from 480p sources doesn't matter, because scan lines are so massive from 10 feet on my 65813 that 480p is totally unwatchable, this is a good thing :D

I can spot scan lines from 10 feet back on 1080i even, the 9" CRT's while not doing quite as well as I would have hoped are resolving very good in showing scan lines this well

get a Mits ws-65813 for 3000$ shipped and be done with it, this is one fine TV set, I switched from a Barco Data 808s 8" CRT front projector(seriously good PJ) and I am pleased, that speaks for the quality of this set

I am a CRT front proection calibrator so my RPTV is set up very well, get your 65813 set calibrated and it will blow you away

-Gary

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
Perfect reason NOT to get it! :rolleyes:

Dont suprise me Consumer reports say Sony is the Most reliable....

They also claim the Lexus ls400 is the most reliable car.. I fully trust there car reliability reports..

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
IMO, the Mits 65813 is the ONE CRT based RPTV, HDCP-HDTV to buy... and that advice is probably for ever-more gonna be true due to Hollywood's demands whick will eliminate them and eventually all analog CRT HDTVs. Get one while you can.......

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues
Dont suprise me Consumer reports say Sony is the Most reliable....
The rating was for best performance. Mitsubishi got the top reliability rating. But, all the Japanese brands we pretty similar in that regard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.